Most signature moves are learned by leveling up. Despite being signature moves of a particular species, other Pokémon can still sometimes learn the move through other means. Some signature moves can also be inherited via breeding or are known by certain gift or event Pokémon. Additionally, Smeargle can learn most signature moves via its own signature move, Sketch.
List of Pokémon and their signature moves
Teachable signature moves
These moves are specifically programmed for these Pokémon. Since Generation IV, some moves are necessary for a Pokémon to evolve. Generation VII introduced Evolution moves that a Pokémon tries to learn after evolving into another species.
|Thunder Shock||This move replaces Cosplay Pikachu's other form's special move while changing into this form if it had no other moves|
|Meteor Mash||Cosplay Pikachu will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|Icicle Crash||Cosplay Pikachu will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|Draining Kiss||Cosplay Pikachu will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|Electric Terrain||Cosplay Pikachu will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|Flying Press||Cosplay Pikachu will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|172||Pichu||Volt Tackle||Pichu will hatch with that move if its parent was holding Light Ball in the Day Care or the Nursery|
|384||Rayquaza||Dragon Ascent||Rayquaza can Mega Evolve into Mega Rayquaza if it knows this move, but only if it is not holding a Z-Crystal|
|479||Rotom||Thunder Shock||This move replaces Rotom's other form's special move while changing into this form if it had no other moves|
|Overheat||Rotom will try to learn this move along with changing into this form or replace a special move of its other appliance form|
|Hydro Pump||Rotom will try to learn this move along with changing into this form or replace a special move of its other appliance form|
|Blizzard||Rotom will try to learn this move along with changing into this form or replace a special move of its other appliance form|
|491||Darkrai||Dark Void||Since Generation VII this move will fail if it is not used by Darkrai|
|493||Arceus||Judgment||This move changes type along with Arceus' form|
|646||Kyurem||Glaciate||This move replaces Kyurem's Ice Burn or Freeze Shock while changing into this form|
|646||Kyurem||Scary Face||This move replaces Kyurem's Fusion Flare or Fusion Bolt while changing into this form|
|Ice Burn||This move replaces Kyurem's Glaciate or Freeze Shock while changing into this form|
|Fusion Flare||This move replaces Kyurem's Scary Face or Fusion Bolt while changing into this form|
|Freeze Shock||This move replaces Kyurem's Ice Burn or Glaciate while changing into this form|
|Fusion Bolt||This move replaces Kyurem's Fusion Flare or Scary Face while changing into this form|
|647||Keldeo||Secret Sword||This move changes Keldeo into Resolute Form|
|648||Meloetta||Relic Song||This move changes Meloetta between Aria and Pirouette Formes|
|649||Genesect||Techno Blast||This move changes type along with Genesect's form|
|658||Ash-Greninja||Water Shuriken||If this move is used by Ash-Greninja then its power is increased and it always hits three times|
|681||Aegislash||King's Shield||This move changes Aegislash into Shield Forme until it uses a damage-dealing move|
|Hyperspace Fury||This move will fail if it is not used by Hoopa Unbound Form|
|741||Oricorio||Revelation Dance||This move changes type along with Oricorio's form|
|773||Silvally||Multi-Attack||This move changes type along with Silvally's form|
|800||Necrozma||Confusion||This move replaces Necrozma's Sunsteel Strike or Moongeist Beam while changing into this form|
|800|| Dusk Mane
|Sunsteel Strike||Necrozma will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|800|| Dawn Wings
|Moongeist Beam||Necrozma will try to learn this move along with changing into this form|
|After using Surf or Dive, Cramorant will change into Gulping Form if it has over 50% HP or into Gorging Form if it has less than or equal to 50% HP until it is hit by a damage-dealing move|
|877||Morpeko||Aura Wheel||This move changes type along with Morpeko's form and will fail if it is not used by Morpeko, or any Pokémon transformed into one.|
| Iron Head
|In the battle Crowned Sword Zacian's Iron Head becomes Behemoth Blade|
| Iron Head
|In the battle Crowned Shield Zamazenta's Iron Head becomes Behemoth Bash|
One-off signature moves
This is a list of signature moves that at only one point, another Pokémon had the ability to acquire:
- A Dratini that knows Extreme Speed is obtainable in Pokémon Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver after correctly answering a quiz in the Dragon's Den. Any Dratini received in this way is capable of passing down Extreme Speed since it is also an egg move for Dratini since HeartGold, and SoulSilver.
- An Egg will be given by the Day-Care Man in Pokémon Crystal that hatches into a random baby Pokémon that knows Dizzy Punch.
- A Skitty with Pay Day can be obtained from a special Egg after depositing 500 Pokémon in Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire from a Game Boy Advance game pak.
- After Lugia from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness has been purified, it learns Psycho Boost and Feather Dance.
- After Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres from Pokémon XD have been purified, they all learn Extrasensory.
- A Darkrai with Roar of Time and Spacial Rend was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the 10th movie.
- An Arceus with Roar of Time, Spacial Rend, and Shadow Force was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the 12th movie.
- A Victini with Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the 14th movie.
- A Victini with Glaciate, Bolt Strike, and Blue Flare was available as a special giveaway to celebrate Christmas 2012.
- No Pokémon can learn V-create outside of event distributions. Victini was the first to gain access to it and is often associated with the move. However, later, a Rayquaza with V-create was available as the winner of a popularity poll held in Japan in 2011, making it no longer Victini's signature move.
In the anime
In the anime, it is uncommon for specific moves to be explicitly stated to be exclusive to a certain Pokémon species.
Although some moves were occasionally referred to as a Pokémon's "special attack" during the original series, in most of these cases, the move in question actually wasn't that Pokémon's signature move.
In Go West Young Meowth, Meowth told the story of his past, where he mentioned that he learned to talk instead of master Pay Day, which he suggested was permanent. This came back in Meowth Rules!, where people of the island expected him to create coins for them what he failed to do. The concept was also mentioned during a quiz challenge in Classroom Training!, where Candice stated that Pay Day could only be learned by Meowth.
- Although they are not always signature moves, some Pokémon are capable of learning only one move. These Pokémon are Ditto (Transform), Unown (Hidden Power), and Smeargle (Sketch).
- Umbreon's Moonlight is a counterpart to Espeon's Morning Sun, though it never was its signature move.
- Iron Tail is the only Steel-type move introduced in Generation II that was never a signature move, although it is heavily associated with Steelix.
- In Generation V, Sacred Sword was exclusively learned by the Swords of Justice, being the signature move of a Legendary group rather than an evolutionary family.
- Similarly, Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt are exclusively learned by Reshiram and White Kyurem, and Zekrom and Black Kyurem, respectively (outside of events). Kyurem's forms are the result of absorbing Reshiram or Zekrom, and thus gain some of their traits and powers.
- Dracozolt and Arctozolt are the only Pokémon that can learn Bolt Beak, while Dracovish and Arctovish are the only Pokémon that can learn Fishious Rend.
- Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are often associated with Solar Beam, Flamethrower, and Hydro Pump, respectively.
- The move Razor Shell isn't a signature move of Oshawott's evolutionary line, although it uses the shell of these Pokémon in its animation.
- Similarly, the move Steamroller appears to be designed for the Venipede family line, as they have the same type and the move is almost exclusive, also being learned by Golem and Guzzlord.
- On another similar note, the move Heart Stamp appears to be designed for the Woobat line, but it can also be learned by the Smoochum line.
- Lucario appears to be associated with Aura Sphere because it is the "Aura Pokémon".
- Metang and Metagross were the only legally available Pokémon to be able to learn Meteor Mash in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.
- High Horsepower has the same type and theme as Mudbray and Mudsdale, but it was never their signature moves.