Vespiquen is a bee-like Pokémon with a typical insect-like, three-part body, i.e. divided into an abdomen, thorax, and head. It has a yellow- and black-striped abdomen, which flares out from a thin, waist-like protrusion under its thorax in a manner that resembles an elegant ballgown. Underneath the expansive abdomen are seven orange, honeycomb-like cells that serve as a nest for baby Combee; the centermost cell, however, surrounds what appears to be a slender, yellow, more insect-like abdomen, which is often obscured by the ‘gown’ part of its abdomen. Vespiquen has black arms that each consist of two thin, conical segments. Each arm ends in two small, orange claws. It flies with a pair of relatively small wings, each of which consists of two stacked, translucent teardrop segments. Vespiquen's arms and wings attach to its round thorax, which is yellow on the front, black on the back, and orange on each side where its arms attach. A curved line on its back, between its orange shoulders, separates its thorax and waist. Vespiquen's head consists of its face and horns. Its orange face has intimidating red eyes; yellow mandibles that protrude from its face and connect to its horns; and a large, red gem on its forehead. Vespiquen's horns are yellow close to its face and black at the tips, and with the gem, they resemble historical headpieces or crowns worn by European royal and noble women in the Late Middle Ages, such as the Escoffion.
Similar to queen bees in real life, Vespiquen is a female-only species. Vespiquen is the queen of a hive of Combee. As queen, it gives birth to and raises Combee grubs, feeding on flowers to make honey for its progeny. The more pheromones Vespiquen produces, the more Combee it will have in its hive. As queen, Vespiquen also controls and protects its hive. It is far more powerful than its Combee, and it will only take directly action if its Combee are unable to protect the hive; even so, the Combee will defend their Vespiquen even to the point of death. Vespiquen is known to skillfully command Combee in battle, using them as part of its signature moves: Attack Order, Defend Order, and Heal Order. If outsiders prove themselves to a Vespiquen by defending its hive, it may repay these acts of kindness with a reward. It is the only Pokémon that can learn Aromatic Mist in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.
- Vespiquen is tied with Togetic for the lowest base Speed stat of all Flying-type Pokémon.
- Among all Pokémon to be the slowest of their respective types, Vespiquen (and Togetic) are the fastest.
- Vespiquen can create Max Honey when Dynamaxed.
- However, unlike its pre-evolved form, Combee, it cannot produce Honey (i.e. it cannot be caught with Honey as a held item).
- Prior to Generation VIII, Vespiquen had three signature moves: Attack Order, Defend Order, and Heal Order. Heal Order is not available to Vespiquen in Generation VIII.
- Upon its introduction in Generation IV, Vespiquen is tied (with Porygon) for the highest number of signature moves of any Pokémon.
- In Generation V & Generation VI, Vespiquen has the highest number of signature moves of any Pokémon.
- In Generation VII (in Alola), Vespiquen is tied (with Alolan Marowak) for the highest number of signature moves of any non-Legendary Pokémon. It is also tied (with Alolan Marowak & Necrozma) for the second-highest number of signature moves overall, behind only Zygarde and Necrozma (in its Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings forms).
Vespiquen is based on queen bees and beehives, along with a combination of real queens.
Vespiquen is a combination of vespa (Latin for wasp and a genus of wasps, specifically hornets) and queen, or vespidae, a taxonomical family of wasps.
Beequen is a combination of bee and queen.