Hurricane (move)

Hurricane
ぼうふう Windstorm
Hurricane VIII.png
[[File:|300px|center]]
Type  Flying
Category  Special
PP  10 (max. 16)
Power  110
Accuracy  70%
Priority  {{{priority}}}
Target
Foe Foe Foe
Self Ally Ally
May affect anyone but the user
Availability
Introduced  Generation V
Condition  [[{{{category}}} (condition)|{{{category}}}]]
Appeal  0  
Jam  0  
Condition  [[{{{category}}} (condition)|{{{category}}}]]
Appeal  0  
Condition  Tough
Appeal  2 ♥♥
Jamming  1
Badly startles all Pokémon that successfully showed their appeal.

Hurricane (Japanese: ぼうふう Windstorm) is a damage-dealing Flying-type move introduced in Generation V. It is TR89 in Generation VIII.

Effect

Generation V

Hurricane deals damage and has a 30% chance of confusing the target. Hurricane can hit non-adjacent targets in Triple Battles.

Hurricane can hit Pokémon during the semi-invulnerable turns of Fly, Bounce, and Sky Drop.

When used during rain, Hurricane bypasses accuracy checks to always hit, unless the target is in the semi-invulnerable turn of a move such as Dig or Dive. When used during harsh sunlight, it has an accuracy of 50%.

Generation VI onwards

Hurricane's power changed from 120 to 110.

Hurricane can be used as part of a Contest Spectacular combination, with the user gaining an extra three appeal points if the move Rain Dance was used in the prior turn.

Description

Games Description
BWB2W2 The user attacks by wrapping its opponent in a fierce wind that flies up into the sky. It may also confuse the target.
XYORAS
SMUSUM
SwSh
The user attacks by wrapping its opponent in a fierce wind that flies up into the sky. This may also confuse the target.


Learnset

By leveling up

# Pokémon Types Egg Groups Level
I II III IV V VI VII VIII
016   Pidgey
 
 
Flying Flying 53 53 53
017   Pidgeotto
 
 
Flying Flying 62 62 62
018   Pidgeot
 
 
Flying Flying 68 1, 68 1, 68
130   Gyarados
 
 
Water 2 Dragon 48 44
144   Articuno
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered 92B2W2 1, 92 92 55
144   Articuno
Galarian Form
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered 55
146   Moltres
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered 92B2W2 1, 92 92 55
146   Moltres
Galarian Form
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered 55
149   Dragonite
 
 
Water 1 Dragon 81 1, 81 1, 81 1, Evo.
275   Shiftry
 
 
Field Grass 32ORAS 32 1
278   Wingull
 
 
Water 1 Flying 50BW
49B2W2
49XY
43ORAS
43 45
279   Pelipper
 
 
Water 1 Flying 63 63XY
1, 55ORAS
1, 55 55
351   Castform
  Fairy Amorphous 45ORAS 45
384   Rayquaza
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered 72
547   Whimsicott
 
 
Grass Fairy 46 46 46 1
580   Ducklett
 
 
Water 1 Flying 46 46 46
581   Swanna
 
 
Water 1 Flying 55 55 55
637   Volcarona
 
 
Bug Bug 90 1, 90 1, 90 62
641   Tornadus
  Undiscovered Undiscovered 67 1, 67 1, 61 65
666   Vivillon
 
 
Bug Bug 50 50
714   Noibat
 
 
Flying Dragon 58 58 52
715   Noivern
 
 
Flying Dragon 1, 62 1, 62 56
717   Yveltal
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered 1 1 70
741   Oricorio
 
 
Flying Flying 50
Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.


By TR

# Pokémon Types Egg Groups Machine
I
--
II
--
III
--
IV
--
V
--
VI
--
VII
--
VIII
TR89
006   Charizard
 
 
Monster Dragon
012   Butterfree
 
 
Bug Bug
130   Gyarados
 
 
Water 2 Dragon
142   Aerodactyl
 
 
Flying Flying
144   Articuno
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
144   Articuno
Galarian Form
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
145   Zapdos
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
145   Zapdos
Galarian Form
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
146   Moltres
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
146   Moltres
Galarian Form
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
150   Mewtwo
  Undiscovered Undiscovered
151   Mew
  Undiscovered Undiscovered
163   Hoothoot
 
 
Flying Flying
164   Noctowl
 
 
Flying Flying
169   Crobat
 
 
Flying Flying
226   Mantine
 
 
Water 1 Water 1
230   Kingdra
 
 
Water 1 Dragon
249   Lugia
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
275   Shiftry
 
 
Field Grass
278   Wingull
 
 
Water 1 Flying
279   Pelipper
 
 
Water 1 Flying
334   Altaria
 
 
Flying Dragon
373   Salamence
 
 
Dragon Dragon
384   Rayquaza
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
521   Unfezant
 
 
Flying Flying
547   Whimsicott
 
 
Grass Fairy
627   Rufflet
 
 
Flying Flying
628   Braviary
 
 
Flying Flying
637   Volcarona
 
 
Bug Bug
641   Tornadus
  Undiscovered Undiscovered
663   Talonflame
 
 
Flying Flying
714   Noibat
 
 
Flying Dragon
715   Noivern
 
 
Flying Dragon
717   Yveltal
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered
724   Decidueye
 
 
Flying Flying
780   Drampa
 
 
Monster Dragon
823   Corviknight
 
 
Flying Flying
844   Sandaconda
  Field Dragon
845   Cramorant
 
 
Water 1 Flying
873   Frosmoth
 
 
Bug Bug
Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.


By breeding

# Pokémon Types Parent
Egg Groups
Egg Move
II III IV V VI VII VIII
163   Hoothoot
 
 
Flying Flying USUM
276   Taillow
 
 
Flying Flying
780   Drampa
 
 
Monster Dragon
Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.


By event

Generation V

# Pokémon Types Egg Groups Obtained with
150   Mewtwo
  Undiscovered Undiscovered Pokémon Hills Mewtwo
Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.


Generation VII

# Pokémon Types Egg Groups Obtained with
249   Lugia
 
 
Undiscovered Undiscovered Fula City Lugia
780   Drampa
 
 
Monster Dragon Easter Egg Drampa
Korean Egg Drampa
Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.


In other games

Pokémon Masters EX

Category Move Gauge MP Base Power Max Power Accuracy Target Effect Tag Description
Special 3 126 151 70% An opponent Never misses when the weather is rainy. Has a chance (30%) of leaving the target confused.

Past Description

  • Prior to Version 2.10.0 (from June 28, 2021): Never misses when the weather is rainy. Has a moderate chance of leaving the target confused.

Pokémon GO

  Hurricane
Charged Attack
Gyms & Raids
Power 110
Energy cost 100  
Duration 2.7 seconds
Damage window 1.2 - 2.4 seconds
 
Trainer Battles
Power 110
Energy cost 65  
Secondary effect ?
Effect chance ?%
Eligible Pokémon:
Standard eligibility
             
By Elite Charged TM
  
By GO Snapshot
 
As Shadow Pokémon
As Purified Pokémon
Formerly eligible
None

Updates

Gyms & Raids
  • July 30, 2016
    • Power: 60 → 80
  • February 16, 2017
    • Power: 80 → 110
    • Duration: 3.2 → 2.7 seconds
    • Damage window: 1.03 - 2.8 → 1.2 - 2.4 seconds

Description

Games Description
MDGtI It damages an enemy. It can hit an enemy in the air using a move such as Fly. It could also cause the Confused status. The Confused status impairs its sense of direction.
SMD It damages an enemy in the air using a move such as Fly. It could also make the enemy confused. During rain or heavy rain, it never misses. But if it's sunny or in harsh sunlight, it's hard to land this move.


In the anime

       
Dragonite Tornadus Swanna Gyarados
The user attacks by wrapping its opponent in a fierce wind that flies up into the sky.
Pokémon Method
User First Used In Notes
  Tornadus Tornadus's tail glows white and he swings his tail, releasing multiple white crescent-shaped energy blades from his tail at the opponent. When the energy blades hit the opponent, they explode, causing a powerful wind to come out of them.
Tornadus (anime) Stopping the Rage of Legends! Part 1 Debut
  Swanna Swanna's wings glow light blue and it flaps them, releasing a powerful gust of wind at the opponent.
Skyla's Swanna Cilan Takes Flight! None
  Tornadus Therian Forme Tornadus's wings glow light blue and he flaps them, releasing a powerful gust of wind at the opponent.
Tornadus (anime) Unova's Survival Crisis!‎ None
  Gyarados Gyarados releases a strong gust of wind from its mouth at the opponent.
Misty's Gyarados When Regions Collide! None
  Gyarados Mega Gyarados creates a powerful cyclone of wind that encircles the opponent.
Misty's Gyarados When Regions Collide! None
  Dragonite Dragonite flaps its wings and releases multiple green crecent-shaped blades of energy or a powerful gust of wind from them at the opponent.
Ash's Dragonite Raid Battle in The Ruins! None
  Moltres Moltres flaps its wings and releases a powerful gust of wind from them at the opponent.
A wild Moltres JN068 None


In the manga

Movie adaptations


Pokémon Adventures


In other generations

Core series games

Spin-off series games

Trivia

  • Both Hurricane and Thunder never miss during rain. This may be a relation to a thunderstorm.
  • Hurricane will not lift Dugtrio or Diglett off the ground in the Generation VI animation like it does with other Pokémon.

In other languages

Language Title
Chinese Cantonese 暴風 Bouhfūng
Mandarin 暴風 / 暴风 Bàofēng
  Dutch Orkaan
  French Vent Violent
  German Orkan
  Italian Tifone
  Korean 폭풍 Pokpung
  Polish Huragan
  Portuguese Furacão
Spanish   Latin America Huracán
  Spain Vendaval
  Thai ลมพายุ
  Vietnamese Cuồng Phong



Variations of the move Blizzard
  BlizzardThunderHurricane
Formerly a variation
  Gunk Shot
  Focus Blast


Generation VIII TMs
00010203040506070809101112131415161718192021222324
25262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849
50515253545556575859606162636465666768697071727374
75767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899
Generation VIII TRs
00010203040506070809101112131415161718192021222324
25262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849
50515253545556575859606162636465666768697071727374
75767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899


  This article is part of Project Moves and Abilities, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on two related aspects of the Pokémon games.