|Raid Battle in The Ruins!
Raid Battle in The Ruins! (Japanese: 初イッシュ地方！遺跡でレイドバトル！！ First in the Isshu Region! The Raid Battle at the Ruins!!) is the 14th episode of Pokémon Journeys: The Series, and the 1,099th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on February 23, 2020 and in the United States on September 11, 2020.
Upon arriving in the Unova region, Ash and Goh hear about a place they just have to explore: Colossus Ruins! First, they must cross the fiery-hot Desert Resort, which seems impossible. But an explorer named Kira shows them how to glide across it, and soon they land at their destination. After a perilous journey through the ruins, they discover the identity of the Colossus: a giant Golurk! Designed to protect an ancient city at all costs, the awakened Golurk attacks with devastating power, but Ash, Goh, and the other explorers take it on in a Raid Battle—and Goh succeeds at catching it!
After arriving in the Unova region, Ash and Goh see a digital billboard that reveals a new ruin site, the Colossus Ruins, has just been discovered at Desert Resort. The boys immediately set off for the ruins in the hopes of finding colossal living inside. As they arrive at the large Desert Resort, Ash admits he doesn't know the way to the ruins and is even more surprised that Goh hasn't got a plan in mind. After Pikachu and Scorbunny step on the hot sand, the boys realize the desert is too hot to cross on foot.
Behind them, a Pokémon Ranger named Kira admits they shouldn't underestimate Desert Resort and asks if they have any Flying Pokémon. Ash responds by calling out his rather affectionate Dragonite, while Goh's Beedrill goes to attack with its stinger. Kira sends out Braviary, and with a rope and board, it easily takes Kira and her Meditite across the hot desert sands. Ash and Goh follow suit, wearing Go-Goggles to protect their eyes from the sand, though things quickly get competitive after Beedrill deliberately cuts in front. Dragonite responds by speeding up and flying Ash and Pikachu high into the sky. While Ash and Pikachu try to regain their breaths, Goh announces they have arrived at the Colossus Ruins. Pikachu takes notice of the odd statues outside, and one quickly reveals itself to be a Darmanitan. As it prepares to attack with Overheat, Goh throws a Poké Ball and makes a successful catch. The Rotom Phone immediately updates its Pokédex information with Darmanitan's data.
Suddenly, a voice takes Ash and Goh by surprise. Ash assumes it came from the Litwick standing in front of them, but Goh points out that its Trainer, the leader actually spoke. The leader reveals that he is leading the excavation team into the ruins of an ancient city. He shows them a stone tablet, explaining that the ancient city created a giant colossus to protect their civilization. A swirl symbol is of interest to the excavators, and Goh admits it looks familiar somehow. Another excavator announces they've just discovered another chamber. Scorbunny and Pikachu eagerly rush down the stone steps to investigate further. However, Scorbunny accidentally steps on a tail belonging to a Sandile. Goh is particularly excited and checks Sandile out on his Pokédex. The Desert Croc Pokémon starts snapping its jaws, so Pikachu uses an Electric attack which does nothing to dissuade the Ground Pokémon. Goh calls for a more effective Double Kick, knocking Sandile down. He then proceeds to catch Sandile, which Ash congratulates him on.
Another Pokémon, this time a Woobat swoops the boys. Ash decides he'll catch it, but he steps on a hidden panel and sets off a sand dump trap in his act of carelessness. Scorbunny is equally reckless and triggers a stone boulder, forcing them to run. They leap onto the walls for safety, only for Goh to press down on another trap panel that sets off a series of stone pillars. The boys take a moment to catch their breaths, but a passing Yamask catches Ash's attention. Ash pursues after it, only to step on another hidden panel leading the floor underfoot to open up. As Goh prepares to help his friend, Kira arrives on the scene and has Meditite use Psychic to pull Ash to safety. Afterward, Kira officially introduces herself, revealing she travels around for mysteries and adventures. She explains that she is also interested in the identity of the "Colossus." Kira admits that she was prepared for this expedition unlike the boys, and points out that she was able to avoid all the traps which are clearly marked with symbols. The remarks leave Ash and Goh feeling embarrassed.
Kira suddenly hushes her companions, aware that something is approaching. Two Cofagrigus then appear, and Goh confidently declares this will be his third Unova catch. Kira stops him, warning that something was inside the Cofagrigus. Scorbunny, however, leaps into action with an ineffective Double Kick despite the advice. Ash has Pikachu attack with a Thunderbolt, which frees Shane Seeker and his Shiny Psyduck from the Cofagrigus. Shane Seeker is grateful and reveals that he wants to fill his Pokédex with only Shiny Pokémon. While Shane Seeker shows off his progress, Goh remarks that he seems to had little success. Shane Seeker is undeterred, determined to finish his quest, regardless of how long it'll take. Ash asks how Kira knew someone was trapped in the Cofagrigus, and she notes that the Cofagrigus were walking in a stooped way because of the increased weight.
While everyone tries to examine the large chamber for clues, Psyduck trips onto one of the panels. Kira is surprised to see the central floor spin seemingly into place like a puzzle and calls for everyone to find more of the emblem panels. They soon find another four throughout the room. Kira deduces that with five switches in all, each must correspond to the five circles on the floor pattern. She orders everyone to press the other panels, and this causes the floor display to rearrange into the same familiar emblem as one on the panels and ancient tablet. A large egg-like structure emerges from the floor and breaks open to reveal a giant Golurk. Goh announces that Golurk are normally 2.8 meters tall, while this one is almost double that. The leader suddenly rushes into the chamber having finally solved the stone tablet, and his eyes twinkle at the sight of the giant Golurk.
Golurk suddenly attacks with a flash of light, blasting everything in sight. The leader notes that the tablet detailed that Golurk was a defense mechanism and was only capable of attacking. While everyone shelters from Golurk's power, Goh remarks that it is still a Pokémon. He suggests they fight Golurk in a Raid Battle. Ash is immediately in, while Kira and the leader also agree to help. Shane Seeker tries to scamper away, though Kira holds him back, even promising to introduce him to one of her friends who has a Shiny Pokémon. Hearing this, Shane Seeker and Psyduck join in. Ash makes the first move, but Pikachu's Thunderbolt is ineffective against the part Ground-type. Goh is unimpressed by the amateur tactic and reminds Ash to settle down. He is equally unimpressed by his impulsive Scorbunny, which tries a Double Kick, a Fighting move that is useless against a Ghost Pokémon. Scorbunny is infuriated by this and kicks Golurk in a fury, only to be flicked into a wall by Golurk. Golurk is also able to withstand a Fire Spin, Psyshock, and Hydro Pump combo effort from Shane Seeker and the others. Golurk fires off another attack which forces Kira and Shane Seeker to recall their Pokémon. Ash has Pikachu strike Golurk on the head with an Iron Tail. While the colossus kneels down, it delivers a powerful punch that knocks Pikachu out as well.
Next, Ash calls on his Dragonite. It uses a Dragon Claw to block an oncoming fist attack. Goh follows suit, sending out his Beedrill for a flurry of Twineedles. However, despite being small and agile, it is soon struck down. Kira and the leader have their Braviary and Lampent attack with Air Slash and Flame Burst, respectively, but they are quickly defeated by a Hammer Arm each. Goh makes his next selection, his newly caught Darmanitan. Golurk suddenly transforms by withdrawing its hands and legs into its body. The leader fears this is the ultimate attack described in the ancient tablet. Ash and Goh are unfazed, and opt for an equally devastating Hurricane and Overheat combination. The attacks collide, with the force blasting everyone aback. As the dust clears, Kira notices that Golurk is seemingly paralyzed from the blow and collapses to the ground. Goh takes the chance and tosses a Ball towards it. The Ball stops moving soon after, meaning Goh has now caught the giant Golurk. Everyone congratulates Goh while Dragonite and Darmanitan exchange a fist bump. The stone walls unexpectedly fall away to reveal a golden corridor behind. The tour guide is thrilled by the important archaeological discovery, while Shane Seeker hopes he will discover some golden Pokémon and Kira looks forward to the adventure ahead.
Later, Goh and Ash have since returned to the Cerise Laboratory. Inside the Cerise Park, Ash rushes inside, only to told to keep quiet by Goh. Goh points up to a hill, noting Darmanitan, in its Zen Mode, and Golurk are quickly making themselves at home as the guardians of the Park. Meanwhile, a familiar Gengar is watching from a distance.
- Ash and Goh visit Unova, with Goh visiting the region for the first time.
- Goh catches a Darmanitan, a Sandile, and a giant Golurk.
- Goh participates in a Raid Battle for the first time.
- Goh's Beedrill is revealed to know Twineedle.
- Ash's Dragonite is revealed to have learned Dragon Claw and Hurricane.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Dragonite (Ash's)
- Scorbunny (Goh's)
- Caterpie (Goh's)
- Metapod (Goh's)
- Venomoth (Goh's)
- Paras (Goh's)
- Parasect (Goh's)
- Butterfree (Goh's)
- Pinsir (Goh's)
- Weedle (Goh's)
- Kakuna (Goh's)
- Beedrill (Goh's)
- Venonat (Goh's)
- Scyther (Goh's)
- Taillow (Goh's)
- Tentacool (Goh's)
- Mantyke (Goh's)
- Sentret (Goh's)
- Dewgong (Goh's)
- Darmanitan (Goh's; Standard and Zen Mode; new)
- Sandile (Goh's; new)
- Golurk (Goh's; giant; new)
- Rotom (Professor Cerise's; Rotom Phone)
- Meditite (Kira's)
- Braviary (Kira's)
- Psyduck (Shane Seeker's; Shiny)
- Rotom (Shane Seeker's; Rotom Phone)
- Onix (Shane Seeker's; Shiny; image)
- Swinub (Shane Seeker's; Shiny; image)
- Slakoth (Shane Seeker's; Shiny; image)
- Bagon (Shane Seeker's; Shiny; image)
- Litwick (Leader's)
- Lampent (Leader's)
- Stufful (Trainer's)
- Herdier (Trainer's)
- Psyduck (Trainer's)
- Woobat (Trainer's)
- Eevee (Trainer's)
- Sentret (Trainer's)
- Munchlax (Trainer's)
- Growlithe (Trainer's)
- Gengar (anime)
- Cofagrigus (×2)
- Darmanitan (Zen Mode; ×5)
- Lillipup (×3; video)
- Get Inspired! Let's Solve a Poké Riddle!!: Golurk
- Ash and Goh being chased by a boulder is a reference to the first Indiana Jones film Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- This is also the fourth time this has been parodied during the anime.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a number of Pokémon species in the main series after long absences:
- Meditite, who last appeared in A Triple Fighting Chance!, 565 episodes ago.
- Cofagrigus, who last appeared in its main series debut in Explorers of the Hero's Ruin!, 378 episodes ago.
- Yamask, who last appeared in The Dream Continues!, 300 episodes ago.
- Slakoth, who last appeared in Lumiose City Pursuit!, 298 episodes ago.
- Woobat, who last appeared in Cloudy Fate, Bright Future!, 208 episodes ago.
- This episode features the most Shiny Pokémon in the anime, with a total of five, though four of them solely appeared as images.
- The scene where Shane Seeker's Psyduck hugs Ash's Pikachu is a reference to a similar scene from Detective Pikachu.
- The shot of Goh's Golurk at the Cerise Laboratory is a reference to a scene involving the rusted robot in Castle in the Sky.
- Dragonite's Hurricane is depicted in this episode as a flurry of green crescent-shaped energy blades. All next uses of Hurricane would be depicted as a strong gust, much like prior instances of said move in the anime. While the official reason is currently unknown, it is possible this unique depiction was chosen to better distinguish Hurricane in the scene it is presented.
- From this episode up until Big Brother to the Rescue!, an introductory clip about Ash and Goh's goals is played at the start of the episode.
- Ash, Goh, Camille, Walker, a Cubone, and Pikachu narrate the preview for the next episode.
- Lampent is knocked out by Hammer Arm, despite it being a Ghost type and thus immune to Fighting moves.
- The dub replaces a shot from Kira's fantasy of a body entering Cofagrigus with a still frame, while keeping the Japanese sound effects of Cofagrigus opening and closing.
- The Japanese text depicting the Unova region's name is edited out.
In other languages
|Czech||Hromadný zápas v ruinách!|
|Danish||Raid-kamp i ruinerne!|
|Dutch||Oppergevecht in de ruïnes!|
|European French||Un Combat de Raid au milieu des ruines !|
|German||Raid-Kampf in den Ruinen!|
|Hebrew||!קרב פשיטה בהריסות|
|Italian||Un raid tra le rovine!|
|Polish||Bitwa Grupowa w ruinach!|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Batalha de Reide nas ruínas!|
|Russian||Рейд на руинах!|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Una incursión en las ruinas!|
|Spain||¡Incursión en las ruinas!|
|Ukrainian||Рейдовий бій у руїнах|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|