Slither Wing is a large, moth-like Pokémon with four legs. It appears to have compound eyes that are two shades of red, and there is a red spiny horn-like structure on each side of its face. The fuzz on its body and legs is smoky white and tangled. Its abdomen is black in the center and light blue with black dots on the outside. It has six leaf-like wings that are orange in color with yellow-orange tips and have small yellow diamond-shaped marks, but they do not seem to be strong enough to allow it to fly. Even when it is mostly bipedal, it is able to stand on two legs, mostly during battles.
In an article from an August issue of Occulture magazine, it is stated that there have been few sightings reported of Slither Wing, whose name is taken from that of a similar creature described in the Scarlet Book. It shares traits with Volcarona, and some theorize that it may have been revived from fossils of a prehistoric era. However, no Volcarona fossils of that era are known to have been found.
- Slither Wing is both the tallest Bug-type Pokémon and the tallest Fighting-type Pokémon.
- Slither Wing and Iron Moth can be considered counterparts of one another.
- Both share one type with Volcarona, but neither share the same type with each other.
- Both are the first Paradox Pokémon used by the AI Professors in their battles with the player.
- Currently, out of all Paradox Pokémon, both are tied for having the smallest increase in base stat total from its apparent relative, with an increase of 20 points.
- Slither Wing:
- Is the only Pokémon whose Japanese name contains the kana ヲ wo.
- Is tied with Basculegion for the greatest number of unique characters in its name, with 11 (including spaces).
Slither Wing is based on Volcarona. As such, it is also likely based on the same moths Volcarona is likely based on, such as the Atlas moth or cecropia moth. Due to its elongated abdomen, flightlessness, and wings colored differently on its tip, Slither Wing seems to be based on female specimens of the bagworm moth Cebysa leucotelus. It also bears some resemblance to a Stegosaurus.
Slither Wing is literally slither wing.
Chiwohauhane can be taken literally as 地を這う羽 chi o hau hane (wings slithering on the ground).