Crabominable is a crustacean Pokémon that resembles a crab covered in white fur. The fur is fluffier around its mouth, shoulders, and claws; the fur is absent on its face, the tips of its legs and arms, and portions of its chest, abdomen, back, and arms. On top of its head is a patch of yellow fur with two tufts extending upward. Its face is light blue with beady black eyes and a large mouth where two blunt teeth are visible. Below its mouth is a dumbbell-shaped, dark blue marking, and its abdomen is also dark blue with lighter blue stripes. These two sections create the impression of pectoral and abdominal muscles. On its back are two dark blue spots. Its arms are segmented into three parts. The arm segments grow in size with the smallest being closest to the body, and there is a dark blue spot on the center segment. Its claws are light blue with a dark blue pawprint-shaped marking on the tips. The mark that would be the "palm" of the paw is actually the lower half of the pincer. It also has four short legs with light blue, pointed tips. These tips are freezing to the touch, as shown in Pokémon Refresh.
Crabominable grew its fluffy fur to combat the icy cold of its mountain home. It can also store cold in its claws, which are capable of smashing ice walls or halting avalanches. In desperate times, the claws can even be fired like rockets. These claws are also used to perform its signature move, Ice Hammer.
- Crabominable is the only Ice-type Pokémon introduced in Generation VII (outside of regional forms).
- No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Crabominable.
- Crabominable has the longest English name of all Pokémon, with 12 letters.
- Crabominable is the only Pokémon with a base stat total of 478.
- Crabominable and its pre-evolved form are the only Fighting-type Pokémon to have an insectoid body, and the only Fighting-type Pokémon in the Water 3 Egg Group.
- Additionally, Crabominable is the only Ice-type Pokémon to have an insectoid body.
- Excluding Mega Evolutions, Crabominable is the only Ice-type Pokémon introduced prior to Generation VIII that cannot be obtained in any Generation VIII game.
Crabominable may be based on a horsehair crab. Additionally, some of its traits are reminiscent of coconut crabs, professional boxers, and the mythical yeti. The very nature of its design may be an allusion to yeti crabs.
Crabominable may be a combination of crab and abominable snowman.
Kekenkani may be a combination of 毛蟹 kegani (horsehair crab) and 喧嘩 kenka (fight).