Artwork from Black 2 and White 2
|Hair color||Red and orange|
|Trainer class||Boss Trainer|
|Games||Black 2 and White 2|
In the games
Benga is a Trainer who appears in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2. After the player has defeated Alder in Floccesy Town after becoming Champion, Benga will rush in and tell his grandfather that he's successfully made it to the top of the Black Tower in Black CityB2/deepest part of the White Treehollow in White ForestW2. Upon noticing the player, he urges them to challenge the facility as well and meet him there.
Benga is encountered a couple times throughout the player's journey through the Black TowerB2/White TreehollowW2, until he's finally battled as the Boss Trainer of Area 10, the final area of the facility. After being defeated, he tells the player to come meet him at Alder's house in Floccesy Town. If the player then returns to the house with an empty slot in their party, Benga will give them a Shiny GibleB2/DratiniW2 as a gift, before returning to the Black TowerB2/White TreehollowW2.
|Black 2||White 2|
- Floccesy Town
- "Gramps! I did it! I did it! I DID it! The Black TowerB2/White TreehollowW2! I made it to the topB2/deepest partW2!"
- "Hey! Gramps! You know how strong I am! Hey, hey!"
- "Who's that?"
- "I knew it! That Trainer smells tough!"
- "No! I know that Trainer's strong! And I want to battle! But those Pokémon haven't been through enough! Me! And my Pokémon! We climbed to the topB2/made it to the deepest partW2 of the Black TowerB2/White TreehollowW2! You do that too! There we'll see who's stronger! Let's try hard to be the best! Later! Gramps and <player>!"
- Area 3 Boss Trainer room
- "This area is no problem, right? For you guys. I mean, you have your Pokémon with you. Right! Keep on going with your Pokémon! I'll be waiting for you higher upB2/down belowW2!"
- Area 6 elevator room
- "Oh, hey! You made it this far, huh? You and your Pokémon sure make a great team! I tell you, it's the teamwork between humans and Pokémon that brought the world to where it is today. Throughout history we've complemented each other to overcome all obstacles! It might be that this place exists so we can experience that history firsthand! See you around!"
- Before battle
- "Back in Grampa Alder's house. We promised, remember? We're gonna compete with each other. And see who's stronger!"
- After being defeated
- "So exciting! You and your Pokémon's combination! Amazing teamwork! Places where humans can't go alone. Places where Pokémon don't think to go. You can go anywhere with teamwork. Between Trainers and Pokémon! Like you and me! I'm glad you understand that now! Hey! Hey!! Hey!!! You'd better come to Grampa's house! You know where it is: in Floccesy Town! I'll give you something awesome! It's a promise, OK?"
- Before battle
- "You and us! Our Pokémon! The strength we have! We'll give it our all! No holding back!
- After being defeated
- "So exciting! My grampa was the Champion! But Trainers like you are even stronger! We just need to keep competing! Then we can keep aiming higher! As Pokémon Trainers! And as people! And it's all thanks to our Pokémon! Come again! I want to keep aiming higher!
- Floccesy Town (after defeating Benga)
- "Hey! Hey! Hey! It was a promise! Between me and you! We had the best match! This is to remember it by! Raise this GibleB2/DratiniW2!
- If the player's party is full
- "Hey! What's going on? Your party's full, huh? OK! OK! Got it! I'll wait here!"
- "I'll leave it with you! Take good care of it! <player>! I'll be waiting for you in the Black TowerB2/White TreehollowW2!"
| Sprite from
Black 2 and
| Overworld sprite from
Black 2 and
| VS sprite from|
Black 2 and White 2
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Benga first appeared in PS541. He is a first-year student at the Aspertia City Trainers' School, alongside Blake, Whitley, Hugh, Leo, Yuki, Yuko, and Maya. On the first day of school, Benga fought in a battle against Blake, Hugh and Leo, which led to Benga's suspension.
After his suspension period had ended, Benga returned to school, only to find that his class had gone off to Castelia City on a trip. Following their tracks, Benga traveled to Castelia with Marlon, only to witness the city getting frozen by the Plasma Frigate. Benga and Marlon found the class, unconscious but unharmed, and took them to the Marine Tube to recuperate. Once the class had woken up, Benga and Marlon explained everything to them, and revealed that they were gathering forces to help launch a counterattack against Team Plasma.
By PS547, the Marine Tube had been frozen over, along with the rest of Undella Town. With the combined power of Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge, and Water Pledge, Benga, Cheren, Bianca, and Cedric Juniper managed to break through the ice and free everyone trapped inside. Benga and the others were transported to the abandoned N's Castle. The area had been set ablaze when the Plasma Frigate crashed into it, putting the Pokémon Team Plasma left behind at risk. Benga, Black, White, Blake, Whitley, Hugh, Cheren, Bianca, and Cedric combined the might of all three stages of the Unova starter Pokémon and unleashed a triple Fire, Grass, and Water Pledge combination attack, successfully dousing the flames.
In PS548, Benga attended the Trainers' School graduation ceremony with his classmates.
| Gabite is Benga's first known Pokémon. He was first seen assisting Benga by carrying firewood to help Benga's classmates recuperate from the cold caused by Castelia City being frozen. On Benga's first day of school, Gabite, then a Gible, was used to battle Blake, Hugh, and Leo, but was defeated.
None of Gabite's moves are known.
| Volcarona is Benga's second known Pokémon. It was first seen assisting Benga by setting some firewood alight to help Benga's classmates recuperate from the cold caused by Castelia City being frozen. Due to the Marine Tube being an enclosed space, Marlon put out the flames with his Jellicent. On Benga's first day of school, Volcarona, then a Larvesta, was used to battle Blake, Hugh, and Leo, but was defeated.
None of Volcarona's moves are known.
| Pignite is Benga's third known Pokémon. It was first seen as a Tepig being used to train at White Treehollow, where it battled Gorm's Sigilyph and Cofagrigus. Later, as a Pignite, it was used to break through the ice covering the Marine Tube. By combining its Fire Pledge with the other two Pledge moves, it successfully broke through, freeing everyone.
Pignite's only known move is Fire Pledge.
|Japanese||バンジロウ Banjirō||From 蕃石榴 banjirō (guava)|
|English||Benga||From benga (Malabar kino)|
|German||Magno||From mango and magnus (Latin for great)|
|Spanish||Guayo||From guayabo (guava)|
|French||Guajava||From Psidium guajava, the scientific name for the common guava|
|Italian||Fedio||From feijoa (pineapple guava)|
|Korean||구아버 Guaver||From 구아바 guava|
|Chinese (Mandarin||蕃石郎 Fānshíláng||From 番石榴 fānshíliú (guava) and 郎 láng (young man; common suffix in Japanese male names)|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|