Model from Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
|Games||Scarlet and Violet|
|Specializes in||Fighting types|
Dendra (Japanese: キハダ Kihada) is a character in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. She serves as the Battle Studies teacher at Naranja AcademyS/Uva AcademyV. She specializes in Fighting-type Pokémon.
In the core series games
Dendra is an energetic person and uses the energy while teaching. She always refers to the player as "new kid".
In her friendship story, she admits that while she is athletic, she is not good at cooking, especially making sandwiches. She improves her cooking by learning more from the player's feedback and practicing with Saguaro. Dendra reveals that she wants to make sandwiches for Miriam as gratitude, since the latter often patches up her injuries. Dendra looks up to Miriam because she is nice and skilled, and she wanted to learn a skill to help others the way Miriam does. She realizes that although she isn't skilled at making sandwiches, she decides to focus on being full of energy.
Dendra participates in the Academy Ace Tournament, including the scripted first round. The player can also find her in Alfornada, assisting in her childhood friend Tulip's Gym Test of ESP exercise, even after the player has already defeated the Gym. This is because Dendra lost a battle with Tulip, with the stakes being that whoever lost had to do whatever the victor wanted. According to Tulip, Dendra praises the player's skills in the Gym Test.
Academy Ace Tournament
Dendra will Terastallize her Hariyama at the first opportunity.
- Around the school
- "Osu, new kid!"
- "Have you come out here to the schoolyard for some training?!"
- Yes: "Aha! I knew I could see a fighting spirit burning behind those eyes of yours!"
- "Why don’t we do a bit of running together here to get to know each other a little better?"
- "Ready? Let’s go!"
- "Phew! That really worked up a nice sweat!"
- "You’ve got a good pair of legs on ya, new kid!"
- "A good bout of training sure does make a body hungry, doesn’t it?"
- "I’ll let you have one of my homemade sandwiches as my way of saying thanks for running with me today! Feed those muscles!"
- "How was it? I hope it was tasty."
- Uh, yeah, tasty…: "Sorry. I shouldn’t have asked you that. Heh…"
- "I’m athletic and all, but I don’t know the first thing about making good food…as your honest reaction just reminded me."
- "Well, uh…see you later. Enjoy your sore muscles tomorrow."
- "Osu, new kid!"
- "Fancy meeting you here in the home economics classroom! What a coincidence, eh?"
- Likewise!: "So, uh…well, y’see…"
- "Aww. Well, no use hiding it now…"
- "Well, I mean, not really…but it just doesn’t look very cool to openly admit I’m here for “intensive training.” Y’know?"
- "Well, new kid, now that you know what I’m up to…"
- "I guess you’ll just have to help me out with my training here!"
- "Try this sandwich! It’s the result of my training so far."
- "That was my meat lover’s prosciutto, bacon, and chorizo sandwich! How was it?"
- It could have used some more veggies…: "What?! You mean there was a problem with my choice of filling?"
- "I guess focusing on muscle-building ingredients really did a number on the flavor, huh…"
- "Butter! That makes sense! Thank you for teaching me that tip, Mr. Saguaro!"
- "But why didn’t you tell me that while I was making the sandwich?"
- "… … …"
- "Well, anyway!"
- "New kid! Thanks to you and Mr. Saguaro here, I may finally be getting the hang of this!"
- "Thanks for your advice!"
- "C’mon, Miriam! Just try it!"
- Ms. Dendra!: "Oh! Great timing, new kid!"
- "Nurse Miriam here won’t try the sandwich I made!"
- "You won’t! Probably!"
- "I hadn’t trained in the art of sandwich making yet back then! I was young and thoughtless and—"
- "Sooo, as you can see, I’m not getting anywhere trying to persuade her."
- "Even after I went through that intensive sandwich-making training! It kinda makes me sad …"
- "Yesss! I knew you’d come around. Here it is…"
- "Woo-hoo! My training paid off!"
- "I’m so glad my sandwich pleases the great Nurse Miriam! I look up to you, you know!"
- "Thank you for trying it! And thanks to you too, new kid!"
- "Osu, new kid! You here to do a little shopping?"
- Yep! I’m here to shop: "The school store’s a nice place! They’ve got everything you need right here!"
- "I’m here to check out the sandwiches they’ve got for sale."
- "The school store’s sandwiches taste great and have excellent nutritional balance, too!"
- You’re not making your own?: "Haha. I guess I’m just not used to it yet. All that training kind of wore me out!"
- "I achieved my goal, anyway, so I’m going to take a break from sandwich making for a bit!"
- "Oh, right. I didn’t tell you what my goal was."
- "I wanted to pay Nurse Miriam back for everything she does for me. It was my way of saying thanks!"
- "She’s so nice and so skilled at what she does. I really look up to her!"
- "I wanted to try sandwich making so I could be skilled at doing something for other people, like she is, but I guess I just wasn’t cut out for it."
- "What I am cut out for, though, is being full of energy! So I decided to focus on that instead!"
- "Like I said in class, I think people and Pokémon should make their strong points stronger!"
- "You really helped me out, new kid! Take this as my way of saying thanks."
- "All right then! What should I go with today to get my protein in?"
- In Alfornada
- "Osu! Welcome, new kid! This is where we do Emotional Spectrum Practice."
- "Why is your battle studies teacher here at a Pokémon Gym working as an instructor, you ask?"
- "Well, I’ve been friends with the Gym Leader here, Tulip, since we were kids."
- "We decided to have a Pokémon battle with a special rule—the loser has to do what the winner says. So we battled, and, well…"
- "Look, never mind what happened! Point is, this is a chance to both get a workout in and help my friend when I don’t have classes!"
- "The rules of Emotional Spectrum Practice—or ESP for short—are simple!"
- "I’ll show you a certain movement, and all you have to do is copy it!"
- "Ready to get this Gym Test started? I hope your body and mind are ready for that challenge!"
- Yes: "Great! Let’s get to exercising! Show me an eruption of emotions!"
- "Nice! You’re moving really well! Both you and your Pokémon are looking great, new kid!"
- "That’s enough of a warm-up! Now let’s really put those muscles to work with Pokémon battle!"
- "Great! I can hear your Pokémon AND your muscles screaming with delight!"
- "I see you’re getting tired, but you’ve gotta hang in there! Time to start the second half!"
- "That was perfect! I almost lost track of who was teaching who!"
- "Don’t give up yet! It’s time for another battle! Hold out against all that lactic acid!"
- "Good job! You made it all the way through the ESP exercise!"
- "You passed this test—no doubt about it! Congratulations!"
- "But you’re not done yet! Sprint over to the lobby staffer on the double!"
- "You have to report your passing grade to formally finish the Gym Test!"
- Academy Ace Tournament
- Before battle
- "Osu! New kid!"
- "This “School Battle Brawl” is for deciding the strongest trainer in the academy, right?"
- "Man, I’m so pumped up!!!"
- "There’s no better place for me to show off my strengths!"
- "And I hear you’re the reason we’re having this tournament? You have my thanks for that!"
- "New kid—no, Champion <player>!"
- "As a teacher, I feel like it’s my duty to lead my students to success."
- "BUT! Since I AM the battle studies teacher here, I can’t very well lose in a battle, can I?!"
- "So don’t expect me to go easy on you! I’m going to give it all I’ve got!"
- "Let’s have a good, clean battle, OK? Best of luck!"
- Upon sending out her last Pokémon
- "You’ve got real fight in you, new kid! This battle’s really stoked my fighting spirit!"
- Upon Terastalizing her Hariyama
- "Aim to push past your limits day by day! Osu!"
- Upon using Hariyama's Close Combat
- "Give it your all! That'll make the taste of victory even sweeter!"
- Upon defeat
- "I see you’ve honed your skills, new kid! Osu!"
- After being defeated
- "No way! I got crushed!"
- "But I still got something great out of this battle! This was a massive chance for me to grow!"
- "You may be surprised to hear this, but we adults are still learning every day, too."
- "That’s why we’re always harping on you kids to study! Turns out we actually DO know what we’re talking about!"
- "Thanks for the battle! Keep aiming for the top in this tournament, and don’t forget… Osu! Osu! Osu!"
In the TCG
- Main article: Dendra (Paldea Evolved 179)
Dendra was introduced as a Supporter card in the Pokémon Trading Card Game during the English Scarlet & Violet Series (the Japanese Scarlet & Violet Era). It was first released in the Japanese Triplet Beat subset and the English Paldea Evolved expansion, with artwork by yuu. A Full Art version with artwork by the same artist, and a special illustration rare version of the card with artwork by GIDORA were released in the same sets. It allows players to put a card from their hand on the bottom of their deck. If they do, the player draws cards until they have 5 cards in their hand. You can only play this card if you have at least one other card in your hand.
- After Dendra recalls her Pokémon from battle, she pats the Poké Ball rather than simply nodding at it like many trainers.
- Due to her role in Tulip's Gym Test, Dendra can be found standing in two places at once indefinitely: Alfornada and the Academy.
- All of the moves used by Dendra's Pokémon are physical moves.
|Japanese||キハダ Kihada||From 黄蘗 kihada (Amur cork tree)|
|English, Italian||Dendra||From Phellodendron amurense (scientific name of Amur cork tree)|
|German, Indonesian||Amura||From Phellodendron amurense (scientific name of Amur cork tree)|
|Spanish||Kendra||From Phellodendron amurense (scientific name of Amur cork tree)|
|French||Élige||From arbre au liège de l'Amour (Amur cork tree)|
|Korean||운향 Unhyang||From 운향과 unhyang-gwa (Rutaceae), family that contains the Amur cork tree|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||凰檗 Huángbò||From 黃檗 / 黄檗 huángbò / wòhngbaak (Amur cork tree)|
|Chinese (Cantonese)||凰檗 Wòhngbaak|
|Thai||คิฮาดะ Khihada||Transcription of her Japanese name|
- ↑ Pokémon Scarlet and Violet: "My age? 25! My hobby? Working out! My...type?! Well... Strong and muscular Fighting types, of course!" —Dendra
|Non-player characters in the core series games|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|