In the games
Avery comes from a long line of psychics who run the Psychic-type Gym in Galar. However, he is considered by his family to be a disappointment due to him only possessing telekinesis, and not more impressive skills like teleportation or telepathy. At some point, he obtained a Galarian Slowpoke. Because of the pressure, he developed a very proud personality and a habit of levitating anyone who defeated him. This behavior lead to his Gym Trainer's status being revoked. During his desperation and depression, he discovered the Master Dojo, through his partner Slowpoke, that would lead him to visit to the Isle of Armor in order to train under Mustard so he could improve on inheriting the position of Psychic-type Gym Leader.
He is first seen by the player at Wedgehurst Station, obtaining the Armor Pass needed to visit the Isle of Armor. Before he can get on the train, a Galarian Slowpoke appeared blocking the way, which resulted in Avery requiring the player to catch it. After complimenting on the player's capture of Galarian Slowpoke, he gets on the train for the Isle of Armor. He eventually reached his location and becomes a student at the Master Dojo. He initially caused friction with the other students, but he started to become more friendly through Mustard and his wife Honey. Though he trained hard, he became lazy from the lack of a rival and motivation to improve himself.
The player meets Avery again once they arrive at the Isle of Armor. He challenges the player to a battle off the bat, assuming they are to be the Master Dojo's new student that he has been assigned to escort. After being defeated, he attempts to scare the player away from enrolling in the Dojo, and even lies to Honey about the student in question not wanting to show up, only for the player to eventually appear at the Dojo, much to Avery's shock. He threatens the player to not tell of what transpired. During Mustard's trials, his Dojo Uniform gets stolen by Mustard's three fast Slowpoke, which the player retrieves in short order. He battles the player over the next two trials, the former over a set of Max Mushrooms he claims discovered first, and the latter as part of a formal challenge. Avery cheats during the third trial by immediately summoning Psychic Terrain. He is eventually defeated, and feels guilty about playing dirty. Mustard asks Avery to look after the Dojo Pokémon afterwards.
In the post-game, after Mustard has been defeated in a final showdown, Avery can be rematched daily.
In the Galarian Star Tournament, Avery reveals that he has become a minor division Psychic Gym Leader. After becoming a Gym Leader, Avery adds a Galarian Slowking to his team, replacing his Slowbro as the last member of his team and his Pokémon of choice to Dynamax.
This is a transcript of the back of Avery's League Cards in Pokémon Shield.
- Normal League Card
- "Avery comes from a long-standing family of psychics. Each Psychic-type Gym Leader of Galar has been from the same bloodline as Avery, and thus, Avery has been destined to bear the burden of Gym Leader since even before he was born. Ever since he was a child, Avery could freely move things with his mind but lacked other skills, such as teleportation or telepathy. This has caused the rest of his family to label him as a disappointment. Avery has a great deal of respect for Slowpoke, as they go about their business at their own pace, no matter what others say."
- Rare League Card
- "Avery has always been very proud and would levitate any opponent who dared defeat him. This behavior caused his status as a Gym Trainer to be revoked. During this time of despair and desperation, his Slowpoke found a flyer for the Master Dojo, leading to Avery's current circumstances. Avery caused friction with many of the other students initially, but the kindness of Honey and Mustard slowly helped him to mellow out and become more friendly. Recently he has been training hard with his now-evolved Slowbro to prove himself better than a certain new student at the dojo."
Avery's Pokémon are at different levels depending on whether he is battled before or after the Darkest Day.
Avery will Dynamax his Slowbro at the first opportunity.
Psychic Terrain is activated at the start of the battle.
After obtaining Avery's rare League Card
Avery will Dynamax his Slowbro at the first opportunity.
Avery will Dynamax his Slowking at the first opportunity.
Avery uses these three Pokémon as both a partner and potential opponent in the Galarian Star Tournament. He will Dynamax his Slowking at the first opportunity if his partner has not Dynamaxed or Gigantamaxed themselves.
Avery can occasionally appear as a partner to assist the player in Max Raid Battles on the Isle of Armor.
- Wedgehurst Station
- "Naturally. I have made all the proper preparations, which you can observe with unclouded eyes."
- "Hmph. To meet a Slowpoke... Such a thing is simply elegant."
- If talked to prior to interacting with the Slowpoke
- "Could this be your first time ever seeing a Galarian Slowpoke? Where they're from might be different, but they're still just as carefree as other Slowpoke."
- After catching the Slowpoke
- "Hmmm? How interesting... I must say, your catching style was quite simply elegant."
- "I am headed to an island called the Isle of Armor. I've heard it's a place where one can catch rare Pokémon and do lots of training. Perhaps we shall meet again sometime. Well then, please excuse me."
- Isle of Armor Station
- "Hm... You're the traveler I'm supposed to guide, am I right? Exactly when we agreed to meet, too. Quite the commendable punctuality. Hm? I've got the strangest feeling we've met before... But I can't recall. And here I thought Amnesia was Slowpoke's move. My name is Avery. I'm a senior member of the dojo you are to join."
- What dojo?/I think you've got the wrong person... : "You're here to join the Master Dojo, are you not? I also train there."
- "My goodness, this is a thick one. Like a poor, lost Wooloo... It's up to me- as an elegant adult- to make sure they get the message."
- "Perhaps a show of strength is the best one to get to know each other. I'll await you outside. Once you're ready, come out to face me."
- "Time to show him/her who the better trainer is..."
- Fields of Honor
- "Hm? Is this your first visit to the Isle of Armor? You would no doubt like to run around and explore freely, but first, let's make sure you can handle yourself. Naturally, as a member of the Master Dojo... I'll be using my psychic powers to test your strength! Come on now.. Don't overexert yourself!"
- "Heh. I'll show you what true power looks like."
- Upon landing a hit: "Heh. I've dealt the first damage you've taken on this island."
- Upon landing a supereffective hit: "That's the power of type matchups. Truly, this shall be an elegant battle!"
- Before sending out final Pokémon: "Wh-when did I get beat down to my last Pokémon?! Did you use Hypnosis on me?"
- When using Confusion: "Prepare to experience psychic powers that defy human comprehension!"
- When defeated: "Such strength! I'm in Psyshock!"
- "Ah, um... Could...could you give me a moment?"
- "Improbable... No impossible! What kind of Trick did this kid use? If a trainer of this talent arrives at the Dojo, then the people there very well may suffer Amnesia about my very existence! If only I could get rid of him/her... But I've been tasked with escorting her to the dojo..."
- "You have potential. Why, you made me use a whole three percent of my strength! Still... How should I put this... Our dojo is a respected place, where even the famous Champion Leon trained. What I'm trying to say is, I don't think you're quite up to snuff..."
- "Therefore! I suggest you ignore the Master Dojo standing over there and head home as soon as you're done seeing the sights! I suppose you can have this, too, as a parting gift."
- "Show it when you next visit a boutique or hair salon, and I'm sure you'll be able to find a more-elegant grab, like mine. Now then... Farewell! I doubt I'll see you again. Avery, Teleport!"
- "It would appear so. I'll have you know, my offer to escort them was perfect. He/She rather abruptly absconded after our battle..."
- "Hmm? Gah!"
- "Yes, right! That's correct, ma'am! I swear, I thought you had used Teleport or something, you disappeared so quickly! Regardless! It gives me great joy to know that you decided to come after all!"
- "Bagh! Why? For what purpose is he/she here?! My Future Sight must be off! I must think... Before Ms. Honey figures out I told an innocent little lie..."
- "Heh, it's an honor to make your acquaintance."
- "Now, listen... If you dare breathe a word of what happened at the station to Ms. Honey... Well, let's just say my psychic powers are very potent. Do I make myself clear?"
- Master Dojo
- If talked to prior to battling Mustard
- "You can always call if you run into any trouble. Call somebody else, that is."
- "Pardon me, Master! I haven't received my uniform yet! I dare say it's unfair for only that child to get a uniform. Unequal, even! I demand an item swap!"
- "Ha! It does pay to complain sometimes!"
- "Eek! What in the world? Hey! My Dojo Uniform! It's gone missing!"
- "How dare you? Are you using Trick?! Return my Dojo Uniform immediately!"
- "Oh my! Where do you think you're going?!"
- After completing first trial
- "You... Were able to reclaim my uniform all all by yourself?"
- Here you go!/You can have it back: "Hmph! You have my thanks."
- If talked to prior to choosing Bulbasaur or Squirtle
- "Don't go getting all uppity from one trifling success..."
- If talked to prior to starting the second trial
- "It would seem I am fated not to accept your capabilities as of yet... I will obtain the Max Mushrooms first and claim victory with my own two hands!"
- Warm-Up Tunnel
- Upon finding Max Mushrooms
- "Wait just one moment!"
- "*pant*... *pant*..."
- "Hah! Just as I expected! Multiple Max Mushrooms growing in a bunch! My psychic powers picked up on these Max Mushrooms eons before you found them. I believe I should be the first one to get those Max Mushrooms. First come, first served, and all!"
- No way!: "Hmph! I knew you wouldn't listen to reason."
- Sure, you can have them!: "What's this? Are you trying to show you're stronger than me? How distasteful!"
- "I find your presence most disturbing! You show up at the dojo unannounced and go on to show such talent, even though you're still so young..."
- "You dare get in my way? I warned you about my psychic powers, and now you'll experience them firsthand!"
- "I think it's about time we found out...which one of us is truly superior!."
- When player lands a supereffective hit: "H-how cheeky. Let's agree that move is banned from now on, yes?"
- Upon landing a supereffective hit: "Before my psychic powers, all your weaknesses are laid bare!"
- When using Psybeam: "I'll have you dancing in the palm of my hand! This is my most powerful, elegant Psychic move!"
- Before sending out final Pokémon: "I am not weak! I cannot lose!"
- When defeated: "What a Psystrike to my poor pride..."
- "Blast it. Victory still eludes me... What is it that I lack? What do I need? Very well, you can have those ones. I'll go and find myself some Max Mushrooms that are far more elegant! Avery, teleport!"
- Master Dojo
- "Ms. Honey I beg you! Wait just one moment..."
- "*pants*... *pants* I-I've also obtained some Max Mushrooms!"
- "*sniff*... I did it... Y-yes, I did search rather hard..."
- "Master, Ms. Honey...if you could grant me one wish, just this once, I would be indebted. Would you be so kind as to use my Max Mushrooms in the Max Soup? I feel that everyone here should enjoy the taste of my efforts..."
- "Ms. Honey."
- If talked to prior to talking to Mustard
- "What's this? Are you here because the Master summoned you, too?"
- "When I heard you had something to tell me, I came as soon as I could, Master."
- "A final...last...ultimate...third trial, you say?"
- "So you're saying this would be the last trial?"
- "We are to battle one another? That is the last trial?"
- "This is it... At last... Can I really...?"
- "I-I must make haste! I must make for the Battle Court, posthaste! I must meditate on my upcoming victory! A good day to you, then. I'll be on my way. Feel free to take it easy like a Slowpoke, and take all the time you need to get ready!"
- Battle Court
- If the player tries to enter the Battle Court without talking to him
- "Ignoring me and leaving first... Is your Nature Hasty?"
- "So, you've come at last."
- "Defeating you will grant me the secret armor...then I will at last have what I need to become a Psychic-type Gym Leader! No matter what it takes, I refuse to accept anything but a complete and utter victory... I'm coming at you with everything I have. Are you prepared?"
- No: "You're going to tell me you're not ready? After all that's been said? Truly, your nature must be Bold."
- "Heh. Let us have an elegant battle worthy of being called a finale. Prepare to sink into despair...and into the weird battlefield beneath your feet!"
- When player lands a supereffective hit: "Ah! Are you all right, my elegant Pokémon?"
- Upon landing a supereffective hit: "Heh, a supereffective hit! That was an elegant move choice on my part, wouldn't you agree?"
- Before sending out final Pokémon: "We shall awaken our true psychic power here and now!"
- When Dynamaxing Slowbro: "With a one, two, three...this Poké Ball will grow gigantic!"
- Before using Max Mindstorm: "My unbelievable psychic powers will utterly humiliate you!"
- When defeated: "Oh, I could just Imprison myself for this!"
- "It appears...I have lost."
- "Heh, now pathetic. I lost even though I resorted to such underhanded tactics. I don't think young, capable children like you can understand how I feel. I am just an average man who gave everything he possibly could..."
- "Perhaps it's time I stopped playing around and gave up my dreams of being a Gym Leader..."
- "After the less-than-reputable things I did, I'm likely to be expelled from the dojo. <player>, you are free to tell the master about the awful things I did."
- OK: "Sorry for what I did..."
- I won't: "Wh-what are you saying? But I turned to the shadows like a Dark type to try to win!"
- "Master...I thank you... You have my apologies, <player>."
- "What?! Is that all I have to do? And you'll forgive me?"
- "Pardon me. Um... <player>, I..."
- "I will admit to acknowledging your strength just a little."
- Master Dojo
- If talked to after receiving Kubfu
- "One day I hope to be as strong as..."
- "No, never mind. Use Amnesia and forget what I just said."
- If spoken to after becoming Champion
- "In order to defeat others, I need to first be able to defeat myself. I understand that now. In theory, anyway..."
- Battle Court
- "<player>... Well, um, how should I put this...? I thought mayhap I should offer my congratulations..."
- "But I won't! Honestly, I don't see why I should celebrate anything! I will admit...I do feel a bit better. I couldn't hold a candle to a Trainer who defeated the master at his full strength!"
- "But when we next meet on the field of battle...it will be I who takes the victory...in a fair fight, no less!"
- I don't think I'll lose!/Are you sure?: "Y-you've got quite the attitude! Though maybe it's not as bad as mine..."
- Potbottom Desert
- "Go, Slowpoke! Use an elegant move!"
- "Unbelievable... Truly UNBELIEVABLE! All that effort and I'm still just spinning my wheels..."
- "I need to get stronger so that a certain someone will recognize me for the great Trainer than I am."
- "<player>?! How long have you-! Can you use Agility or something?"
- Are you training?: "Tch! Training in hiding is not very elegant. I turn back what you say as though I used Mirror Coat!"
- How've you been?: "What an abrupt question... I am doing at least two billion times as well as you are."
- "Forget what you saw me doing with the utmost of haste! Use Amnesia!"
- "You are to think of that as a contract between the two of us, understand?"
- "Well then, it's time for- You guessed it... Avery, teleport!"
- Master Dojo
- "<player>...are you perhaps interested in assisting me in my training?"
- Yes: "A wise decision. Let us head for the Battle Court."
- No: "Hmm. How unfortunate that you would refuse... I shall remember this insult for the rest of my life."
- "I'll send your head spinning just like this Poké Ball!"
- When player lands a supereffective hit: "S-supereffective? Your Nature certainly isn't Calm, is it?"
- Upon landing a supereffective hit: "No amount of training can hide one's weaknesses... That goes for you, too!"
- Before sending out final Pokémon: "My power only grows when my back's to the wall. You've no one to blame for this but yourself!"
- When Dynamaxing Slowbro: "With a one, two, three...my Pokémon will be gigantic! And with nothing up my sleeves, either!"
- Before using Max Mindstorm: "Witness my ESP! Which, of course, stands for Elegant Spectacular Power!"
- When defeated: "More! I require more! Show me your Stored Power!"
- After battle
- If player wins
- "Just as my Future Sight predicted! But I was still able to learn from that battle. Thank you..."
- "An admittedly unexpected victory! Perhaps I released some of my Stored Power? Still, I must become even stronger! I hope you will battle me again sometime."
- "I have exhausted too much of my power today. Please come back another time."
- Wyndon Stadium (Galarian Star Tournament)
- "Forgive me for interrupting when you two seem so intent on leaving the rest of us out..."
- "As I would expect from one related to the former Champion, you clearly have an elegant mind and formidable memory."
- "I redoubled my training efforts since my last defeat at your hands, you see...
- "And my efforts were rewarded gloriously! You are looking at the chosen leader of the Psychic Gym!
- That's amazing!/Congratulations!: "Well, our Gym is still in the minor division. But you can feel free to praise me some more. It's perfectly deserved of course."
- "Rest assured that I will bring my very best performance to this competition. I will be a fearsome challenger to face down!"
- "Just what I like to hear!"
- When paired with Marnie: "Well, if I must share the pitch with a Dark-type Trainer...at least we're on the same side."
- When paired with Mustard: "Master! I'll never give up on the dojo! My psychic powers will end things here and now!"
- When paired with Bede: "Behold our elegance...even when one of us dared turn his back on the Psychic type!"
- When paired with Melony: "I trust you to bring us a silvery-white victory, Lady Melony!"
- Before sending out final Pokémon: "It seems this calls for my true psychic powers. I daresay victory with change hands this time!"
- When Dynamaxing Slowking: "I command you to grow enormous, my elegant Pokémon!
- When defeated: "This isn't the future my Future Sight foretold!"
- Upon losing in the first round
- "Bah! To be defeated in the first battle... Did you use Hypnosis?!"
- Upon losing in the second round
- "A final battle without me on the court is as bland as curry rice without curry!"
- Upon losing in the third round
- "And so you climb on toward victory, leaving us behind. It vexes me, but...bravo."
- Partnering with Avery
- Before first round in locker room
- "Prepare yourself, for I shall now use my psychic powers to Teleport you to the top with me!"
- Before second round in locker room
- "That was a truly elegant battle, wouldn't you agree, <player>?"
- "I am trusting you to continue in this elegant vein."
- Before third round in locker room
- "My Future Sight told me that we would come this far together!"
- "Now, let us bear witness to what is yet to come as well!"
- On field before first round
- "To be pitted against the two of us from the outset spells certain tragedy for our opponents!"
- "Shall I overwhelm them with my powerful psychic powers? Why yes, I think I shall!"
- On field before second round
- "Shall we offer our next opponents a taste of deepest despair, then?"
- "Now now... I caution you not to make Avery pull a Teleport on you!"
- On field before third round
- "Now is the time, Avery! We shall not let victory slip through our fingers!"
- "The true victory lies in winning with the utmost elegance."
- "Even Master Mustard can't stand in the way of our formidable teamwork!"
- "We mustn't lose to the likes of this lout! He abandoned Psychic types altogether!"
- "And you yourself are quite elegant..."
- "Tell me- do you have a Style Card?"
- "Back at the dojo, you were merely an eyesore- an obstruction blocking the spotlight I so rightfully deserved."
- "Yet reaching this pinnacle alongside you fills me with a certain unexpected pride."
- "With your raw skill combined with my prodigious psychic powers, the idea that anyone should ever be able to defeat is is positively unimaginable!"
In the anime
Icon of Telescreen, Avery's sponsor
- Avery's uniform number is "026", which can be read in Japanese as goroawase for おつむ otsumu, meaning "brain".
- While Avery speaks to the player, he uses various Psychic-type moves in his speeches, such as "Avery, Teleport!"
|| セイボリー Savory
|| From savory
|| From savory
|| From savory
|| From ajedrea (savory)
|| From Satureja (the savory genus)
|| Same as his Japanese name
|| 세이버리 Seibeori
|| Transcription of his Japanese name
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 賽寶利 / 赛宝利 Sàibǎolì
|| Transcription of his Japanese name
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 賽寶利 Choibóuleih
|| Эйвери Eyveri
|| Transcription of his English name