In the games
As the playable character
Hilbert is a boy who lives in Nuvema Town, as do his childhood friends, Cheren and Bianca. If chosen as the player, he will receive a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex from Professor Juniper. After setting off on his Pokémon journey at the same time as Cheren and Bianca, Hilbert will at some point be asked by Fennel to do some sort of quest; in return for its completion, Hilbert will receive a C-Gear.
As well as encountering and battling his childhood friends at various points during his journey, Hilbert will also meet a young man known as N, who wishes to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. In order to achieve his goals, he and Hilbert will battle several times during the course of the game. Hilbert also battles Team Plasma at various stages of his journey. Ultimately, Hilbert is recognized as a hero by Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on the version.
As a non-playable character
If not chosen as the player, Hilbert appears as the player's partner in the Battle Subway when choosing to ride the Multi-Train. Two of the following Pokémon are picked from the corresponding list, depending on what the player wants him to base his team on. If the player chooses "A balance between the two," Hilbert's Pokémon are chosen from either list.
In Black 2 and White 2, the protagonist of Black and White was said to be searching for N in a faraway region and has not yet returned home. His mom mistakes the player for him.
Battle Subway Pokémon
This is a list of all the Pokémon used in the Multi Train and Super Multi Train battles. Each Pokémon has a non-Hidden Ability that, along with gender, is randomly selected. These Pokémon will always have the maximum 31 individual values across every stat and the full 510 effort values evenly distributed (rounding down) among two or three stats.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: needs more Masters quotes.
- At the Multi Train and Super Multi Train platforms
- "Hi! I'm Hilbert! It's your first time challenging the Multi Train, right? Well, you need a partner!" / "Hi, <Player>! Good to see you again!"
- Before boarding the Multi Train or Super Multi Train
- "Are you looking for a partner? Then why don't you team up with me? Yeah! It'll be great! What sort of Pokémon should I use?" / "What kinds of Pokémon should I enter?"
- Focused on Attack: "OK. I'll focus on Attack! Then, let's begin!"
- Focused on Defense: "OK. I'll focus on Defense! Then, let's begin!"
- Focused on Balance: "OK. I'll focus on a balance between Attack and Defense! Let's begin!"
- After losing/retiring a challenge
- "That was awesome! Let's battle together again!"
- "There's still a lot more to go, but let's do our best!"
- After completing a 21-win streak on the Multi Train
- "We finally made it this far! Our opponents will get tougher, but let's do our best and not get discouraged!"
Menu interface (voice clips)
- "Hi! I'm Hilbert! I'm really looking forward to team battles alongside you. Let's be friends!"
- "OK, then! Let's begin!"
- "Let's enjoy Pokémon battles together."
- Selection screen (forming team)
- "Team up with me!"
- Selection screen (disbanding team)
- "Pokémon battles will be even more fun now!"
- "Yes! Feels like I've gotten stronger."
- "Guess I'm now little closer to being one of the strongest Trainers."
- Upon unlocking a new level cap
- "I'll keep getting stronger and stronger, you'll see."
- "Yeah! We've come such a long way!"
- "I'm going all-out!"
- "Hey, take this."
- Battle interface (voice clips)
- "Here we go! I won't lose."
- "Here goes!"
- "There you go."
- "I've got this!"
- "This is it!"
- "Ha! No way I'll lose!"
- "Give it your all!"
- Recalling fainted Pokémon
- "*groan* I lost. Not cool!"
- "All right."
- "Looks like I won! Thanks for making the battle so fun."
- Main Story Chapter 18 - Team Unova
- "Hey, Cheren. What's with the long face?"
- "Yeah, I get it, buddy."
- "We might have to go up against Champion-level Trainers from here on out. If we're lucky, we'll be evenly matched."
- "In some respects, we're here as challengers. There are probably going to be some rough battles up ahead."
- "Use our strength to help one another, huh?"
- "Sorry, sorry. It's just that..."
- "I just remembered how you were before we started exploring Unova. You really have changed a lot since then."
- "You got that right. I want to use everything I learned during my journey to triumph in this tournament."
- "Hey...I've got an idea!"
- "I think I might know someone who's in the same boat as us!"
- "Cheren! I'm talking about somebody who might wanna join our team for the PML! Come on, follow me!"
- "You've seen firsthand what an awesome Trainer Hilda is, right, Cheren?"
- "And all three of us have gone through similar journeys across Unova, right? I was thinking...that might help us really get in sync as a team!"
- "We're all Trainers that explored the Unova region."
- "But not just that! We trained together on Pasio, strengthening our bonds!"
- Sync Pair Story - A Day with Hilbert
- What’s going on?/That’s a lot of Pokémon!: "Whoa! <player>! I didn’t see you there!"
- "Ha ha, yeah. I was wondering what I was going to do with all these."
- "Before I realized it, these Pokémon were following me."
- "There aren’t any wild Pokémon on Pasio, right?"
- "If that’s true, there must be a lot of Trainers out there looking for their Pokémon right now."
- "Do you think you could help me find all of their Trainers, <player>?"
- Sure!: "Great! Thank you so much!"
- No way! That’s too much trouble!: "Whoa, Oshawott! Calm down! Sorry, I guess he wants you to help us out. You’ll help me? Really? Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!"
- "Let’s first ask around to every Trainer we come across."
- "Maybe we can find some clues that way!"
- "I can’t thank you enough! We were able to get all of those Pokémon back to their Trainers, thanks to you!"
- "But I wonder why they got separated to begin with? They all mentioned seeing some suspicious Trainers going around."
- It might be those knuckleheads with the masks./Maybe there are bad Trainers about?: "Oh, you may be right. I didn’t think of that possibility."
- "If that’s the case, maybe it’s for the best that those Pokémon gathered around me."
- "I’ve been to all sorts of regions, training my Pokémon and testing my abilities."
- "Oshawott looks like he wants to get stronger, as well."
- "I’ve had Oshawott since he was an Egg."
- "I found that Egg a while back, after I had left a Samurott I had at a Pokémon Day Care."
- "I think he wants to be like my Samurott. I can’t blame him. Samurott is really strong."
- "I want to help Oshawott and make his dream to become a strong Samurott come true."
- "Seeing those Pokémon and Trainers got me thinking."
- "Trainers and Pokémon don’t really do well on their own, do they?"
- "Ah, sorry. Guess I’m just starting to ramble now."
- "You’re such a good listener that I got carried away."
- "That reminds me. You want to be stronger, right?"
- Yup!/No, not stronger. Strongest!: "Then it might be a good thing that we teamed up!"
- "I think we’re on the same wavelength!"
- "I’m sure we’ll be tagging along at least until Oshawott reaches his full potential."
- "I’m with you not only as your teammate, but as a friend and rival!"
- "So here’s to us!"
- Pokémon Center
- Special Unova Rally event intro
- "We were just thinking of having a get-together with all the Trainers from Unova who are here on Pasio!"
- "I feel comfortable when I'm with you. You're reassuring, somehow."
- "So, y'know, even if you become an amazing Trainer..."
- "I hope our relationship won't change. I hope we'll stay friends."
- "So, uh, this is a little embarrassing, but... Let's stick together, <player>!"
- "When I watch your Pokémon battles, it makes me feel..."
- "It's hard to explain. Like my heart's on fire? It makes me want to battle, too."
- "I've been traveling all over the place, and then I was called here to Pasio."
- "Traveling is good for you. You get to see new sights and meet new people and Pokémon."
- "You're one of the new people I've met during my travels, you know? And I'm very happy for that!"
- "Don't you think it's kind of miraculous when we meet new people or Pokémon?"
- "The world is so big, there are so many people and Pokémon that'll never meet each other..."
- "And yet we've met here, and now we're talking and becoming friends!"
- "I hope we can make this meeting something really special."
- "I like Pokémon battles because I really want to experience the joy of victory, I guess."
- "So much goes into winning a battle. You have to plan your strategy, raise your Pokémon, read your opponent's moves..."
- "It just feels wonderful when you can bring all those factors together and seize victory!"
- "When we win, my Pokémon get really happy, too!"
- "That goes for that frustrating feeling when we lose, too, of course."
- "I think Pokémon battles are a form of communication."
- "Even if it's a place you've been to many times before, you can discover new things if you just pay a little closer attention."
- "I really enjoy looking for little secrets like that, you know?"
- "You might discover a path you never saw before or meet new Pokémon. It's hard to quit exploring once you get into it!"
- "I'd love it if we could go exploring together, too!"
- "Forests and mountains are fun to explore, sure, but cities can also be really exciting."
- "My favorite thing to do is look for great restaurants that are off the beaten path!"
- "Besides, if the Pokémon I meet seem like they're having fun, it makes me smile, too!"
- "I'm really looking forward to the Pokémon battles on Pasio."
- "Each place has its own powerful Trainers."
- "So whenever I'm going to face strong Trainers, I always wonder how far I'll be able to go."
- "Seeing you get stronger and stronger... It really makes me feel like I can't lag behind, either!"
- "In other words, you are a great inspiration for me!"
- "I'm a bit of a sore loser. I try not to let it show, since I don't want people thinking I'm childish."
- "But that does mean I battle to win, even if it's against you!"
- "You're my friend, and that's why I want to go all out in our battles! No holding grudges, even if you lose!"
- "It's like, we're together a lot...but that's exactly why I don't want to lose. Do you have that kind of competitiveness, too?"
- "I guess having this kind of feeling about each other is what you'd call a rivalry."
- "Well, I hope we can stay good friends--and good rivals!"
- Special log-in conversation
- "Hey, <player>! I figured you'd be coming soon."
- "Battles seem more fun when you're around. Let's do our best today, too!"
- Special gift conversation
- "Hey, I found something good, so I figured I'd share it with you!"
- "It's best to share happiness with another person, after all!"
- "I'm pretty good at finding items, since I've traveled so much."
- "I'll let you know if I find anything else good!"
- Special Unova Rally event conversation with Hilda and Rosa
- "Well, that's nice of you to say."
- "I guess no matter how much things change, Trainers will always have that passion for battle!"
- Prior to the release of Black and White, pre-release media and most fans referred to Hilbert as "Black".
- English demos of Black and White referred to Hilbert as "Blair".
- English pre-release screenshots referred to Hilbert as "Kuro" (the Japanese word for "black").
- From a bird's-eye view, Hilbert's hat looks like a Poké Ball.
- Unused text in Black 2 and White 2 indicates that Hilbert and Hilda were originally planned as opponents at the Pokémon World Tournament.
- Hilbert and Hilda are the first player characters in the core series games not to have pre-programmed names either by choice or in case one isn't specified.
- They are also the only player characters who don't become Champions by the end of the main game.
- In the May 2010 volume of CoroCoro Comics, it was stated that Hilbert and Hilda are older than previous player characters, but it is not known how much older they actually are.
- According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilbert and Hilda were initially visualized to be at the age of 16.
|| トウヤ Tōya
|| From 闘 tō (fight)
|| From Hilbert, a male name derived from the Germanic element hild (battle) and beorht (bright)
|| From war
|| From lucha (fight)
|| From Ludwig, a Germanic name derived from the Old High German words hluth (famous) and wig (war)
|| From Alcides, an alternate name for Heracles
|| 투지 Tuji
|| From 투지 (鬪志) tuji (fighting spirit)
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 鬥也 Dòuyě
|| From 鬥 dòu / dau (fight)
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 鬥也 Dauyáh