| Professor Magnolia|
マグノリア博士 Dr. Magnolia
Artwork from Generation VIII
|Hometown||Wedgehurst (Route 2)|
|Game animation debut||Early-Evening Waves|
|English voice actor||N/A|
|Japanese voice actor||N/A|
|Anime debut||Settling the Scorbunny!|
|English voice actor||Unknown|
|Japanese voice actor||Unknown|
In the games
| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Professor Magnolia is a researcher who has been studying the Dynamax phenomenon for many years. She once helped Leon and Sonia start their journeys as Trainers and Gym Challengers when they were younger.
Eventually, after the player becomes Champion, Magnolia steps down from her position as Professor and hands over her Dynamax research to her granddaughter, Sonia.
- Outside Professor Magnolia's house
- "Oh Goodness, no.The whole thing is still full of questions."
- "I'd hoped that my granddaughter would take over my research, but..."
- "Dear me, I'm sorry. I didn't even notice my guests!"
- "My name is Magnolia. Welcome, young trainers! Now come, let's head indoors."
- Professor Magnolia's house
- "Why, Hop dear. I see Wooloo has made some new friends."
- "And you must be <player>."
- "I trust you received the Pokédex from Sonia. I'm sure you'll have it complete in no time!"
- "There you go again, Leon, always talking about Pokémon. There are other things that are worth knowing about, too, you know. Like how many different types of tea there are!"
- "Oh Leon, why wouldn't you endorse them?"
- "Dearie, I thought your dream was to have everyone in the Galar region become strong Trainers. Isn't that right?"
- If talked to again
- "Now remember, be sure to give it everything you've got. That's the best thing you can do for your Pokémon--and for yourself, too."
- Before battling Hop
- "I'm rather interested in seeing how you two young Trainers battle, too."
- After battling Hop
- "Don't be silly, Hop."
- "Those Wishing Stars are composed of a curious sort of rock containing unknown power... They are one of the most precious resources we have here in the Galar region. But they won't do a thing for you in that state. Give them to me now, and I'll have you sorted."
- "I do understand your excitement, young man, but don't get carried away. You want to save your energy for tomorrow's journey!"
- Professor Magnolia's house
- The following day
- "Good morning to you, young Challengers."
- "<player>, Hop, these are for you."
- "Those are your Dynamax Bands."
- "I made them by fitting the Wishing Stars you found last night into those bands."
- "My word, you don't waste any time, do you? I think you'll find it's not so simple as all that. There are a number of conditions you must meet if you hope to have your Pokémon Dynamax and take on that gigantic form. Now don't be afraid to go to all sorts of places and meet all sorts of Pokémon. That will help fill out your Pokédex, too."
- If talked to again
- "Now don't be afraid to go to all sorts of places and meet all sorts of Pokémon. That will help fill out your Pokédex, too."
- After defeating Piers
- "But being able to predict such things is part of a scientist's work."
- "The chairman called for me."
- "He wanted to know all about the red light's relationship to the Dynamax phenomenon."
- "Nothing worth my time. The chairman's all wrapped up in fretting over the future of our energy, apparently. He's left everything to that executive lady. We just don't have enough data. That's why I wanted to ask you to start looking into things, too, Sonia. You know more than anyone about the Darkest Day, after all."
- After defeating Raihan
- "It certainly seems to be that way, my dear."
- "As you know, we Dynamax our Pokémon today using the energy from Wishing Stars that have fallen to us."
- "But we still don't know how to fully control the energy behind Dynamaxing or how the two heroes managed to do so."
- "In fact, we're not even really sure who--or what--the two heroes actually were."
- "Sonia, my dearest... My lab coat is yours now."
- "Think of it as something to help you finish that work."
- "The two heroes that protected the Galar region from the Darkest Day... And the legend of the sword and shield you just mention... It's up to you to figure out the truth behind it all."
- Inside of the Pokémon Research Lab
- "That's right! You could never understand how important these Wishing Stars are. You have no need for them!"
- "Oh dear... it would seem we've been completely had."
- If talked to again
- "Seems that lot did have something to back up all their big talk..."
- Outside of the Pokémon Research Lab
- "You've certainly grown strong in the face of adversity, dearie."
- "Dynamaxing draws out the true strength from the trust between a Pokémon and their Trainer. But that group is likely pouring the Galar particles emitted by the Wishing Stars into Pokémon, forcing them to Dynamax."
- If replied "That's awful!"
- "The theft of the Wishing Stars was just the start. Things could get a lot worse from here on."
- After detecting more Dynamaxing at the stadiums
- "They certainly get around, don't they?"
In the anime
In the main series
Professor Magnolia debuted in Settling the Scorbunny!, where she was seen in a picture displayed on Goh's Rotom Phone. In JN027, Sonia mentioned the research she did with her grandmother on the Darkest Day to Ash and Goh.
In Pokémon: Twilight Wings
In the manga
In the Pokemon Adventures manga
She was first seen meeting a boy named Marvin who was rescued from falling off a cliff by Sōdo. After proper introductions were made, Sōdo, Shirudomiria, and Marvin participated in a Dynamax simulation where they fought and defeated a Dynamax Pangoro hologram. The battle gave Marvin the confidence to set on a Pokémon journey of his own. With approval from his parents, Marvin joined Magnolia and her assistants on their quest to study Dynamax.
Later, Magnolia's trailer house was attacked by a trio of wild Drednaw. In order to battle the Bite Pokémon, Sōdo and Shirudomiria each received a Rotom Phone with a Pokédex function installed from Magnolia, officially making them both Pokédex holders. After the Drednaw were defeated, Magnolia noted that Marvin and Sobble bonded during the ordeal and suggested the boy keep it, which he happily accepted.
Later, in Motostoke, the group encountered Sonia, Magnolia's granddaughter and a researcher-in-training. When Sonia lamented being unable to make much progress in her research, Sōdo had Ransun sabotage the trailer house, preventing it from moving. Magnolia asked Sonia to go with the others and research the geoglyph in Turffield in her place while she had the car repaired.
In the TCG
- Main article: Professor's Research (Sword & Shield 178)
Professor Magnolia was introduced as a Supporter card in the Pokémon Trading Card Game as Professor's Research Professor Magnolia during the English Sword & Shield Series (the Japanese Sword & Shield Era). It was first released in the Japanese V Starter Sets. It later appeared in the Japanese Sword expansion before debuting in English in the Sword & Shield expansion, with artwork by Yusuke Ohmura. It was also released as a Full Art card and Secret card in the same Japanese and English expansions, with artwork by kirisAki. It allows the player to discard their hand, then draw seven cards; an identical effect to other Professors' cards.
|Japanese||マグノリア博士 Dr. Magnolia||From magnolia|
|English||Professor Magnolia||Same as her Japanese name|
|French||Professeure Magnolia||Same as her Japanese name|
|German||Professor Magnolica||Similar to her Japanese name|
|Italian||Professoressa Flora||From flora|
|Spanish||Profesora Magnolia||Same as her Japanese name|
|Korean||매그놀리아박사 Magnolia-baksa||Transliteration of her Japanese name|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||木蘭博士 / 木兰博士 Dr. Mùlán||From 木蘭 / 木兰 mùlán (lily magnolia)|
|Chinese (Cantonese)||木蘭博士 Dr. Muhklàahn||From 木蘭 muhklàahn (lily magnolia)|
|Russian||Профессор Магнолия Professor Magnoliya||Transcription of her Japanese name|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Professora Magnólia||Same as her Japanese name|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|