The Director in Pokémon Adventures
|Games||Gold, Silver, Crystal, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver|
In the games
A key part of all Johto-based games is Team Rocket's invasion of the Radio Tower. After defeating many Grunts, the player meets up with who is assumed to be the Director. It turns out that this Director is merely an impostor: Team Rocket Executive Petrel disguised as the Director. Once he has been defeated, Petrel will reveal that the Director is in the Goldenrod Tunnel. After rescuing him, the real Director will give the Card Key, that will give access to the fifth floor, where Team Rocket's Executives are.
Once Team Rocket has been conclusively defeated and disbanded, the Director will express his gratitude by awarding an item. In Pokémon Gold and HeartGold he will give the Rainbow Wing, in Pokémon Silver and SoulSilver he will give the Silver Wing, and in Pokémon Crystal he will give the Clear Bell. The Director supposedly found the item given when the tower previously there was knocked down, and they are all used in summoning a Legendary Pokémon, specifically the game mascots Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Suicune respectively.
|Card Key||At the Goldenrod Tunnel||G S C HG SS|
|Clear Bell||After defeating Team Rocket||C|
|Rainbow Wing||After defeating Team Rocket||G HG|
|Silver Wing||After defeating Team Rocket||S SS|
Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal
- "Who? What? You came to rescue me? Thank you! The <sc>Radio Tower! What's happening there? Taken over by Team Rocket? Here. Take this Card Key."
- "Use that to open the shutters on 3F. I'm begging you to help. There's no telling what they'll do if they control the transmitter. They may even be able to control Pokémon using a special signal! You're the only one I can call on. Please save the Radio Tower... And all the Pokémon nationwide!"
- Studio 1
- "<player>, thank you! Your courageous actions have saved Pokémon nationwide. I know it's not much, but please take this."
- "There used to be a tower right here in Goldenrod City. But it was old and creaky. So we replaced it with our Radio Tower. "
- "During the teardown, we found that at the top. I heard that giant Pokémon used to fly over Goldenrod in the past. Maybe that fell off a Pokémon. Maybe like the one that appears at Tin Tower in Ecruteak CityG/Whirl IslandsS. OK, I'll better go to my office."GS
- "We dug up that bell during construction. I heard that all sorts of Pokémon lived in Goldenrod in the past. Perhaps... That bell has some connection to the Tin Tower in Ecruteak City... Ah! That reminds me... I overheard Team Rocket whispering. Apparently, something is going on at the Tin Tower. I have no idea what is happening, but you might look into it. OK, I better go to my Office."C
- Director's office
- "Hello, <player>! You know, I love Pokémon. I built this Radio Tower so I could express my love of Pokémon. It would be nice if people enjoyed our programs.
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
- "Who? What? You came to rescue me? Thank you! The Radio Tower! What's happening there? Taken over by Team Rocket? Here. Take this Card Key."
- "Use that to open the shutters on 3F. I'm begging you to help. There's no telling what they'll do if they control the transmitter. They may even be able to control Pokémon using a special signal! You're the only one I can call on. Please save the Radio Tower... and all the Pokémon nationwide!"
Goldenrod Radio Tower
- Observation Deck
- "Oh...! You have already defeated them? Thank you! Your courageous actions have saved Pokémon nationwide. You are well worth this. Please take it!"
- "There used to be a tower right here. When the tower was replaced with the Radio Tower, that Rainbow WingHG/Silver WingSS was found at the top of the tower. I heard from a friend from Cianwood City that you can climb the Bell Tower in Ecruteak City when you have a Rainbow WingHG/go down the cave at Whirl Islands when you have a Silver WingSS. I have to get back to my office. See you!"
- "Oh, I almost forgot! According to my friend from Cianwood City, the legendary Pokémon will not appear if you just go up to the top of the Bell Tower with only that Rainbow WingHG/down the cave at Whirl Islands with only that Silver WingSS. Apparently there is something else you need... Or something like that. I wonder what it was... I can't remember."
- "Are you expecting something? This is what they call Fake Out. I really must go back to my office this time. See ya!"
- Director's office
- "Hello, it is you! You know, I really love Pokémon. I built this Radio Tower just so I could express my love of Pokémon. It would be nice if people enjoyed our programs."
| Overworld sprite from
| Overworld sprite from|
HeartGold and SoulSilver
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
The Director, known as Hiro (Japanese: ヒロオ Hirō), appears as a recurring character in this series.
He debuts in Smeargle Smudge, where he invites Gold to participate in a radio show at the Goldenrod Radio Tower. He is later seen with DJ Mary broadcasting events such as Gold's race against Whitney, her visit to Mahogany Gym and the battles between Gym Leaders from Kanto and Johto.
He appears with Mary as she is broadcasting the Pokéathlon events. When Lance's Dragonite suddenly attacks the area, Hiro ends up landing on its head. He is saved by Gold, who forces him to drive all the way to Ecruteak City so that he can see the Kimono Girls. When he arrives at the Ecruteak Gym only to find it destroyed by Arceus, Hiro decides to make a two-hour radio special to cover the events.
Later, when the battle with Arceus ended, Hiro arrives, where he reveals his plan to Gold. Much to Gold's confusion, Hiro had recorded the events with a video camera despite working in the radio business. Hiro reveals that he plans on going into the television business, and has already thought up a show for children called Proteam Omega, which is based on Red's team.
| Dusknoir is Hiro's only known Pokémon. It first appeared with its Trainer at the Ecruteak Gym, right after it is destroyed by Arceus.
None of Dusknoir's moves are known, and its Ability is Pressure.
|Debut||All About Arceus II|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|