Art from Pokémon Masters
|Relatives||Unnamed father, unnamed mother (deceased)|
|Trainer class||Pokémon Trainer|
|English voice actor||Bryce Papenbrook|
|Japanese voice actor||Mamoru Miyano|
In the games
Lear is the prince of an unknown country. He used to be a kind child who loved Pokémon and people, but after his mother, the queen, died, his father, the king, sent him to a strict school, causing him to start relying only on himself and treat Pokémon as mere tools. After losing to Red, Lear built the artificial island of Pasio and founded the Pokémon Masters League with the hopes of overcoming his weaknesses and becoming the PML champion. If the PML is a success, the king has promised to name Lear as his heir. It is revealed that Lear and his subordinates, Sawyer and Rachel, have been using Hoopa to transport sync pairs over to Pasio to increase excitement over the PML.
Lear is an arrogant Trainer who believes himself to be the strongest and is adamant he will win the PML. He insults others who believe that the bond between Trainer and Pokémon is the key to battling, and treats his Pokémon as tools for winning. This is evident when Lear replaces his Krookodile with Staraptor after the battle between Lear's Krookodile and Iris's Haxorus ends in a draw. His lack of bond with his Pokémon also means he cannot use sync moves, as the sync stone relies on the power found in the bond between Trainer and Pokémon. Lear also believes that teamwork or friendship is a weakness as it means one has to rely on another. He prefers to handle things himself and does not even consider his subordinates as friends despite their unending support. He also considers victory as the only purpose of battling and that other aspects, such as having fun, are worthless.
The player first meets Lear at the end of Chapter 2 who insults the player for wearing a shoddy hat. They next meet Lear in Chapter 5 who defeats Skyla and earns a badge. After learning that the player will join the PML, Lear has a one-on-one battle with the player and wins.
The two cross paths again in Chapter 9 after the player defeats members of Team Break. Lear remarks that he too does not want Team Break sabotaging the PML but still insults the player as being pathetic. Iris defends the player and has a battle against Lear and his Krookodile. Despite a fierce battle, Lear leaves without finishing the battle.
After the first half of the PML tournament is finished, Lear challenges the player to a battle. He aims to disqualify the team if they refuse to battle or lose. The player battles against Lear, Rachel and Sawyer and wins. Despite his loss, Lear remains in denial that he is the strongest and that he can win without bond or friendship.
After hearing news that Team Break have stolen Hoopa, Lear ditches the opening ceremony to the PML finals and goes hunting for Team Break. He finds that the Team Break hideout has already been cleared by Cynthia and the player's team, and finds no signs of Hoopa.
- Menu interface (voice clips)
- During conversation
- "I'll battle you. You can thank me later."
- "What idiocy! You need to learn a lesson."
- "You there!"
- "Hear my words!"
- "How dare you!"
- Battle interface (voice clips)
- VS screen
- "Consider this a privilege!"
- Battle start
- "Give up!"
- Using Pokémon move
- "Now go!"
- "Do it!"
- Using Trainer move
- "There's no escape!"
- "How could this happen?!"
- Main Story Chapter 5 - The High-Flying Girl
- Dead Set on Victory
- "What do you know--another win for me. Now, hand over that badge."
- "How can you praise your Pokémon after a crushing defeat like that?! Pokémon aren't friends--they're tools. No wonder you lost."
- "Winning is all that matters! How can you just smile and accept defeat like that?! You should feel terrible!"
- "<Player>... You again..."
- "Why must the universe conspire to irritate me... What are you doing here?"
- "Don't tell me you amateurs are trying to enter the Pokémon Masters League..."
- How did you know?: "You can't be serious... Of all the ridiculous, insolent, pathetic--! I knew you'd be a pain the moment I saw that hat of yours..."
- You got a problem with that?: "Excuse me?! Of all the ridiculous, insolent, pathetic--! I knew you'd be a pain in the neck the moment I saw that hat of yours..."
- "Never mind that... It doesn't matter anyway. I shall crush you under my heel here and now!"
- "A one-on-one battle, just you and me. None of you interfere!"
- "I shall teach you a lesson even a fool like you will remember."
- "What's wrong? Is that all you've got? I didn't even get to enjoy myself!"
- "Bow before the victor, amateur... And don't forget, I always win!"
- "Bwahaha! See? I win, you lose, and all is right in the universe."
- "Obviously failure begets failure... You amateurs belong together! We're done here. Let's go."
- Main Story Chapter 19 - Rematch vs. Lear!
- More Precious than Victory
- "Well, well! Look who decided to show up. I thought you'd get cold feet, but apparently you have some guts after all."
- "Stop! I won't hear it! You're the ones who tried my patience in the first place!"
- "This is the end of the PML for you! My...uh...Staraptor and I will make you wish you'd never signed up to compete!"
- "And what a sad Krookodile it was! To let that battle end in a draw... I have no need for a Pokémon too weak to follow my commands!"
- "The only Pokémon suitable for me is one that can follow my commands without question and WIN!"
- "Silence! How dare you judge my decisions! You have no right to lecture me. Now prepare to fight!"
- "Huh? What is it?"
- "Just who do you think you're talking to right now?"
- "I never asked for your advice or your support! I shall stomp these weaklings all by myself!"
- "Is that understood?! Don't let me hear you try to advise me on this subject again!"
- "Now, it's time we start this. Or end this, rather..."
- "Ugh! Bonds... Teamwork... You still have the nerve to speak about that nonsense in front of me?!"
- "Fine! I'll show you once and for all how ridiculous all of it really is!"
- Until Next We Battle
- "Th-this is ridiculous..."
- "This is NOT happening! Unbelievable! It's pure nonsense! How could I lose?!"
- "Not once...but twice! That pest in the red hat was one thing, but to be beaten by...by a bunch of amateurs..."
- "My commands were more precise, my Pokémon was stronger... I had the upper hand in practically every way! How...how did this happen?!"
- "How in the world did I loooooose?!"
- "How...how can stupid things like that make a difference to who wins and who loses? It doesn't make sense!"
- "None of that is of any use to me! With my skill and unrivaled discipline when it comes to training, there's nothing I can't do!"
- "That goes for the PML, too! I and I alone will crush every last incompetent weakling in the running!"
- "That's why I founded this entire tournament in the first place--to prove that the power of one man is stronger than any stupid bond!"
- "And yet..."
- "... ... ..."
- "... ... ..."
- "... ... ..."
- "... ... ..."
- "... ... ..."
- "N-no... You can't be serious!"
- Main Story Interlude 3 - The Truth about Pasio
- King of Solitude
- "Same... Those wretched Team Break thugs! Where'd they manage to hide it?!"
- "I had no choice! If our...secret friend...falls into the wrong hands, the PML will be the least of our worries."
- "Besides, if I'd been there, all that sappy talk of bonds and friendship would have made me gag."
- "No! Never you mind! And where in the world is Sawyer, anyway? He should have been here by now!"
- "You had better be! Those goons could be summoning all sorts of terrible Pokémon as we speak! Do NOT keep me waiting again!"
- "Let's go! We've got to head to the next hideout!"
- "It's time to take Hoopa back from those Team Break thieves... We cannot let them get away with this!"
- "You there! Whoever you are--come out and show yourself!"
- "You! Aren't you--?"
- "Yes, I'm aware. What is he doing here?"
- "Tsk! You think you know everything, don't you?"
- "Silence! I told you not to bring that up!"
- "Whatever. I don't have to stand here and listen to this twerp! Rachel, Sawyer, we're done here! Come on!"
- "Enlist...help, you say?"
- "How dare you! Just because of what happened in that last battle, you DARE insinuate that I am weak?!"
- "That was a fluke! A FLUKE, I tell you! I have no need for help--I have more than enough strength to handle this alone!"
- "The last time I checked, I was the one in charge here. Everyone else can simply shut their mouth and do as I say!"
- "I am in line to become king, and what a king says is absolute! No one is above a king!"
- "Do you think I'm a fool? What does it matter what I would or wouldn't do? If I don't become king, I'll never gain recognition."
- "If I can't become king, then why am I even here?!"
- "Hmph! It's as if you all live to infuriate me! Rachel, Sawyer, we're leaving! Do NOT make me say it again!"
| VS model from
| Model from|
In the anime
In the Pokémon Masters Animated Trailer
Lear briefly appeared in a montage in the Pokémon Masters Animated Trailer.
|Japanese||ライヤー Lyer||From プライヤー pliers|
|German||Lyer||From his Japanese name|
|Spanish||Alik||From alicates (pliers)|
|French||Alexis||From alicates (Spanish for pliers)|
|Italian||Kelian||Possibly from alicates (Spanish for pliers)|
|Korean||라이어 Lyer||From his Japanese name|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||鎯琊 Lángyé||From 鎯頭 lángtóu / lòhngtàuh (hammer)|
|Chinese (Cantonese)||鎯琊 Lòhngyèh|
|This article is part of both Project CharacterDex and Project Sidegames, Bulbapedia projects that, together, aim to write comprehensive articles on characters in the spin-off games.|