In the games
As the protagonist
Hilda is a girl who lives in Nuvema Town, along with her childhood friends, Cheren and Bianca. If chosen as the player, she will receive a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex from Professor Juniper. After setting off on her Pokémon journey at the same time as Cheren and Bianca, Hilda will at some point be asked by Fennel to do some sort of quest; in return for its completion, Hilda will receive a C-Gear.
As well as encountering and battling her childhood friends at various points during her journey, Hilda will also meet a young man known as N, who wishes to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. In order to achieve his goals, he and Hilda will battle several times during the course of the game. Hilda will also battle Team Plasma at various stages of her journey. At the game's climax, Hilda is recognized as a hero by Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on the version.
As a non-playable character
If not chosen as the player, Hilda appears as the player's partner in the Battle Subway when choosing to ride the Multi-Train. Two of the following Pokémon are picked from the corresponding list, depending on what the player wants her to base her team on. If the player chooses "A balance between the two," Hilda's Pokémon are chosen from either list.
In Black 2 and White 2, the protagonist of Black and White was said to be searching for N in a faraway region and has not yet returned home. Her mom mistakes the player for her.
Battle Subway Pokémon
This is a list of all the Pokémon used in the Multi Train and Super Multi Train battles. Each Pokémon has a non-Hidden Ability that, along with gender, is randomly selected. These Pokémon will always have the maximum 31 individual values across every stat and the full 510 effort values evenly distributed (rounding down) among two or three stats.
- At the Multi Train and Super Multi Train platforms
- "Hi! I'm Hilda! You're challenging the Multi Train for the first time, right? You can't take this challenge alone. You need a partner!" / "Hi, <Player>! Nice to see you again!"
- Before boarding the Multi Train or Super Multi Train
- "Are you here by yourself today? Why don't you team up with me, then? It'll be fun! What sort of Pokémon should I use?"
- Focused on Attack: "OK. I'll focus on Attack! Then, let's begin!"
- Focused on Defense: "OK. I'll focus on Defense! Then, let's begin!"
- Focused on Balance: "OK. I'll focus on a balance between Attack and Defense! Let's begin!"
- After losing/retiring a challenge
- "That was really fun! Let's battle together again!"
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: needs other quotes.
Menu interface (voice clips)
- "I'm Hilda! When it comes to Pokémon battles, you can count on me! Trust me, I'm really good at this stuff!"
- "Let's get going, then."
- "Let's team up."
- Selection screen (forming team)
- "Yup, good choice!"
- "Yeah, just like that!"
- "All right, I got stronger! Feels great."
- "How do you like me now? Pretty strong, huh?"
- Upon unlocking a new level cap
- "I can still get even stronger."
- "Woohoo! Time to celebrate!"
- "Stop messing around!"
- Battle interface (voice clips)
- "All right!"
- "This battle is mine to win!"
- "Let's go!"
- "Right there!"
- "Here I go!"
- "Here's my shot!"
- "I'm giving this all I've got!"
- "Okay, let's keep it coming!"
- Recalling fainted Pokémon
- "All right, nice work!"
- "Look out!"
- "Mmm-hmm, that's right!"
- "*sigh* I gave it my all, and I still lost..."
- Main Story Chapter 18 - Team Unova
- "Hey, Cheren! Hilbert told me everything. If it's about Pokémon battles, leave it to me!"
- "I've always wanted to team up and battle with you two. We'd be like Team Unova!"
- "Yeah, right back at ya!"
- "All right! Now that we have a full team, let's train! Victory or bust!"
- "We'll show you our teamwork!"
- Battle Villa
- "Hey! You made it, <player>! Guess it's time for us to battle it out then, huh!"
- "I'm not gonna go easy, all right? Same goes for you!"
- "That was awesome! You're stronger than ever, <player>!"
- "I guess it's time for my Pokémon and I to hit the training area! Next time, we'll beat you for sure."
- "Let's battle again soon, OK? Real soon! No backing down!"
- Pokémon Center
- Special Unova Rally event intro
- "You noticed that more Trainers from Unova have come to Pasio, right?"
- "So, we thought it'd be fun to round everyone up for a little chatting and battling! What do you think? Pretty good idea, right?"
- "Ooh! <Player>, you should come, too! I promise it'll be super fun!"
- "I want to experience for myself every fun thing that there is."
- "I keep finding new things I want to try out... And before I know it, my schedule's just bursting at the seams!"
- "*sigh* I wish days were much, muuuuuch longer."
- "My schedule is packed full, but don't worry! I can handle this--no problem."
- "Don't you underestimate the potential of the expert Trainer Hilda!"
- "You know, it's something that'll have to wait for another day, but..."
- "There's one person I really, really want to battle against."
- "Can't you guess? It's you, <player>!"
- "I think you'll become an even stronger, even more amazing Trainer than you are now."
- "And once you get there, I want to have an all-out battle with you. One Trainer against another."
- "I want to be someone who's always strong, always cool... Someone people look up to. That's my goal."
- "When the time comes to battle you, I'm not going to hold anything back!"
- "It'd be super uncool if I didn't give 100 percent when we're about to decide who's the most powerful Trainer!"
- "I've been told that our sync pair seems to be full of spirit and determination whenever we battle."
- "I guess it makes sense. I definitely don't want to lose, so I get in the zone."
- "Winning is cool! That's all that matters!"
- "*sigh* I'm joking, of course! But don't you think that's a cool way to look at it?"
- "I mean, we're definitely getting stronger, so why not let people see it?"
- "It's not like I'm trying to intimidate my opponents, OK? You don't have to believe me, but it's true."
- "Still, even my partner seems to...radiate strength, I guess?"
- "I feel like she's grown in confidence since I first met her."
- "Heh, it's definitely reliable! I'm really proud of my partner."
- "I'm well known as a Trainer who's good in battles!"
- "I've gotten good at what I love, and what I love is winning battles!"
- "Winning a no-holds-barred battle... It's the best feeling in the world!"
- "When you battle, don't you get that real strong desire to win? Especially if it's against a strong opponent!"
- "I bet you like to win, too, don't you? If so, you might do some amazing things in battle someday!"
- Special log-in conversation (evening)
- "Hey! Still ready for more, huh?"
- Special Unova Rally event conversation with Hilbert and Rosa
- "You can ask us about anything! We're here to teach you everything we can!"
- "Yeah, I feel the same way about how things are now! What surprised me the most..."
- "is that Iris is now the Champion! She was still a Gym Leader when I was on my adventures around Unova!"
- "I thought she was strong back then, but now she's incredible!"
- "Ooh! Talking about Iris makes me want to have a rematch with her!"
- "All right! Come on, Rosa!"
- "I'll show you how it's done!"
In other games
The female Pokémon Trainer's Hilda-based alternate palette in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Hilda appears in Pokémon Masters, where her sync partner is Tepig.
While Hilda herself does not appear directly, she appears as the white palette swap for the female Pokémon Trainer, who is an incarnation of Leaf.
- Prior to the release of Black and White, pre-release media and most fans referred to Hilda as "White".
- English demos of Black and White referred to Hilda as "Whitlea".
- English pre-release screenshots referred to Hilda as "Shiro" (the Japanese word for "white").
- Unused text in Black 2 and White 2 indicates that Hilda and Hilbert were originally planned to be battled at the Pokémon World Tournament.
- Hilda and Hilbert are the first player characters in the core series games not to have pre-programmed names either by choice or in case one isn't specified.
- They are also the only player characters who don't become Champions by the end of the main game.
- In the May 2010 volume of CoroCoro Comics, it was stated that Hilda and Hilbert are older than previous player characters, but it is not known how much older they actually are.
- According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilda and Hilbert were initially visualized to be at the age of 16.
|| トウコ Touko
|| From 闘 tō (fight)
|| From Hilda, a female name derived from the Germanic element hild (battle)
|| From lotta (Italian for fight)
|| From liza (combat; arena)
|| From lutte (fight)
|| From Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom and warfare
|| 투희 Tuhui
|| From 투희 (鬪姬) tuhui (battle maiden)
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 鬥子 Dòuzǐ
|| From 鬥 dòu / dau (fight)
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 鬥子 Daují