| Chairman Rose|
Artwork from Sword and Shield
|Trainer class||Macro Cosmos's, former Trainer and Gym Challenger|
|Games||Sword and Shield|
|Specializes in||Steel types|
|Member of||Macro Cosmos|
|Game animation debut||Letter|
|English voice actor||Keith Silverstein|
|Japanese voice actor||Kazuhiro Yamaji|
Chairman Rose (Japanese: ローズ Rose) is the president of Macro Cosmos and the chairman of the Galar Pokémon League. He was the first person to endorse Leon as a Champion, and is also currently sponsoring Bede's Gym Challenge. He also designed and developed the metropolis of Wyndon, which houses the headquarters for both the Galar Pokémon League and Macro Cosmos.
In the games
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
Chairman Rose first appears in the games' introduction movie, where he narrates the "World of Pokémon" presentation alongside his Cufant. He then hosts the opening ceremony for the League Challenge at Motostoke Stadium. Following the ceremony, he and his secretary Oleana approach the player and Hop to further speak about the challenge.
Later, the player and Sonia meet up with Rose and Oleana in Hulbury. Despite being dressed in casual clothing and sunglasses as a form of disguise, Rose is still surrounded by fans seeking his autograph, much to Oleana's annoyance. After the player defeats Nessa at Hulbury Stadium, they go with Sonia to meet Rose for dinner at the Captain's Table, a local seafood restaurant.
Rose next appears in front of Hammerlocke Stadium, discussing his plans with Bede. He then greets the player and invites them into the stadium to give a short lecture about Galar's energy production, as well as his goal to harness the power in Wishing Stars. Afterwards, Rose suggests that the player visit the vault before leaving to return to work.
Bede later takes Rose's Copperajah to demolish the mural in Stow-on-Side, looking for Wishing Stars. After he is stopped by the player, Rose shows up to voice his disapproval and disqualify Bede from the Gym Challenge.
During the player's travels, Rose discusses with Leon a plan to secure an energy source for Galar that can avert a projected energy crisis 1,000 years in the future. When Hop and the player head to Rose Tower to confront Leon for failing to appear for dinner, they catch a discussion between the two, with Leon arguing that Rose's plan can wait until after the Championship Match and Rose insisting on taking action immediately. He then apologizes for delaying them, but after Leon departs, Rose begins to enact his scheme. He releases Eternatus, which he had been energizing with the Wishing Stars collected by Bede, to enact a second Darkest Day in order to provide Galar with a near-infinite supply of energy.
However, Eternatus proves to be impossible to control, and Rose is forced to interrupt the Championship Match between the player and Leon to enlist Leon's help to defeat and catch Eternatus. Hop and the player follow Leon to the Energy Plant to confront Rose, with Hop being defeated by Rose's Pokémon and Rose in turn losing to the player. After his defeat, Rose applauds the player and invites them and Hop to join Leon at the Tower Summit, confident in Leon's chances of capturing Eternatus. However, while Leon had worn down the Pokémon, he was unable to catch it; and it is only stopped by the combined strength of the player, Hop, Zacian, and Zamazenta before being captured by the player. Rose is not seen again after Eternatus's capture, having turned himself over to the authorities.
According to Oleana, Rose once worked in a coal mine a long time ago.
- Normal League Card
- "Mr. Rose is in fact a talented Trainer, coming in second place for a past Champion Cup. As the chairman of the Pokémon League, and as the president of a large business conglomerate, he is truly a hero to the Galar region, working tirelessly to ensure its prosperity. His thoughts and words don't always match, and thus many say it's hard to tell what he's talking about. In fact, it is said that only his secretary can tell what his true intent is. (NOTE: The above text was submitted by his secretary.)"
- Rare League Card
- "Chairman Rose is a dedicated philanthropist who spent much of his own time and money researching the ancient disaster known as the Darkest Day, all in order to solve Galar's energy issues. He firmly believes that actions speak louder than words and will often make decisions without revealing his thinking to others. For better or for worse, it is this style of leadership that has allowed the Macro Cosmos conglomerate to grow to where it is today. (NOTE: The above text was submitted by his secretary.)"
Chairman Rose's Pokémon are kept in Ultra Balls.
Chairman Rose will Gigantamax his Copperajah at the first opportunity.
- Wyndon Stadium (intro)
- "Welcome, one and all!"
- "Welcome to the wonderful world of Pokémon!"
- "Our beloved Galar region is a wonderful place, with thriving nature..."
- "beautiful cities, and many Pokémon with which we share our lives!"
- "As you know, our society is able to thrive..."
- "thanks to help from these mysterious creatures that we call Pokémon."
- "Yes, Pokémon are all around us—in the sea, in the sky, and even with us in our towns!"
- "And those of us who choose to raise and train Pokémon to do battle and compete..."
- "we call Pokémon Trainers!"
- "Oh! But I’m getting carried away. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Rose, and it is a pleasure to be here."
- "Now turn your gaze to the Galar region’s greatest Pokémon Trainer, your undefeated Champion..."
- "It’s time for Champion Leon’s exhibition match!"
- Opening ceremony
- "Ladies and gentlemen!"
- "I am Rose, chairman of the Pokémon League!"
- "I know that everyone gathered here..."
- "And everyone watching from home have all been waiting for this big moment!"
- "It is my pleasure to announce that finally— the Galar region Gym Challenge will now begin!"
- "Yes, the Gym Challenge!"
- "Participants must defeat the eight Gym Leaders..."
- "And gather the eight Gym Badges to prove their skills as a Trainer!"
- "Only the most worthy will have the honor of challenging the greatest Champion in history!"
- "Now, I would like to invite the Gym Leaders to show themselves!"
- "The fighting farmer! Here’s the Grass-type expert, Milo!"
- "The raging wave! It’s the master of Water types, Nessa!"
- "The ever-burning man of fire! Here comes the Fire-type veteran, Kabu!"
- "The Galar karate prodigy! Nobody’s better with Fighting types than Bea!"Sw
- "The silent boy of mystery! Allister, friend to Ghost types!"Sh
- "The master of a fantastic theater! It’s the charming Fairy-type user, Opal!"
- "The hard-rock crusher! Please welcome the Rock-type master, Gordie!"Sw
- "The ice-cold professional! Please welcome the Ice-type master, Melony!"Sh
- "And last but not least, the tamer of dragons... It’s Raihan, the top Gym Leader!"
- "Unfortunately, we’re missing one, but..."
- "These are the Gym Leaders that we in the Galar region are proud to call our own!"
- After opening ceremony
- "So you’re the two Trainers our Champion endorsed himself! Welcome, and it’s a delight to meet you! I’m Rose, of course."
- "Oh, and what’s this?! I see you both already possess Dynamax Bands! How wonderful! It seems you two have been led here by the guiding light of the Wishing Stars. By the way, it was my wonderful company that invented those Dynamax Bands, you know!"
- "I daresay this year's Gym Challenge is looking to be an absolute blast! Very good—very good indeed! That means the whole Galar region is in for some excitement!"
- "The Gym Challenge is an excellent opportunity to show off your Dynamax Pokémon! Now, I’m terribly sorry, but there is some urgent business I need to attend to, so I must be on my way. The best of luck to both of you!"
- "No need to rush off! I can still do more autographs! I’ll even give you my Pokémon League Card!"
- "We need the support of our fans to keep doing what we’re doing. Chasing them off like that... Aren’t you being a bit too harsh, Oleana?"
- "Oh, and you were...?"
- "That’s right! Bede! I daresay I’m impressed how far you’ve come since I gave you that Pokémon all those years ago."
- "Will you be the one to win the Gym Challenge? Or perhaps it will be one of the Trainers endorsed by the Champion."
- "Ah, your name was...<player>, right? We were just talking about you! I admit I’m curious about Leon’s reasons for endorsing you."
- "Ah! I just had a good idea, as I tend to do!"
- "You’re going to face Gym Leader Nessa soon, yes? If you get a Gym Badge from her, I’ll hold a celebration. I’d like to get to know you a little better, after all!"
- "Please do your best, for the sake of Galar’s future!"
- Captain's Table
- "<player>! Let’s celebrate your recent victory!"
- "You two know each other? That’s great! Come now—please be seated."
- "Hulbury is a seafood town. Naturally, if one is going to eat here, the obvious choice is the local cuisine! Everything on the menu is delicious."
- "By the way, how is Professor Magnolia getting on?"
- "I’m quite indebted to her, you know. She was the one who figured out how to unleash the power of Wishing Stars and use that power to Dynamax Pokémon. We would never have been able to create Dynamax Bands without her."
- "A Power Spot Detector! That’s the device that allowed me to discover the Power Spots... Locations that emit Galar particles and allow Pokémon to Dynamax!"
- "I don’t like hearing that Professor Magnolia is so worried, though. If only there were something I could do..."
- "Sonia, it may be good for you to visit the vault in Hammerlocke. I believe the key to unlocking the secrets of the Dynamax phenomenon lies in the history preserved there."
- "Hm? But I’ve hardly had a chance to speak with <player>! It’s regrettable, but I suppose it can’t be helped. If something needs to get done, there’s no time like the present, after all! In any case, I bid you all farewell!"
- "Oh, it’s not just about me. It’s for the future of the whole Galar region."
- "And we’ll need more than just Wishing Stars. We need a powerful Pokémon Trainer, too— someone like the Champion."
- "That’s the spirit! It takes healthy competition to really keep the Gym Challenge energized!"
- "I hope you were listening, <player>."
- "As you know, Wishing Stars are those mysterious stones that are even attached to your Dynamax Bands."
- "There’s more to Wishing Stars than just making your Pokémon into giants, though! They hold far more energy than that!"
- "If you’re curious, you should head to the stadium. In fact, we should head inside right away! I’ll even give you a little lesson on how the Galar region gets its energy!"
- Hammerlocke Stadium
- "Hammerlocke’s stadium doubles as an Energy Plant."
- "Now, have a look at my tablet. I’ve got all the information you need on it."
- "See? An easy-to-understand description of the Energy Plant!"
- "First, energy is absorbed from Hammerlocke Stadium’s tower..."
- "Then, it's changed into electricity in the underground power plant and delivered to people throughout the region!"
- "Our lives and society require various types of energy sources, such as electricity, natural gas, and water."
- "My associate groups aim to improve everyone’s lives by harnessing the power stored in Wishing Stars!"
- "Oh! It's time for me to get to work. I should get a move on before Oleana decides to give me another earful."
- "<player>, I suggest you head over to the vault next. Just head toward Route 6 from the stadium, and you should find the vault without any issues!"
- "Young Bede..."
- "It pains me to have to say this, but... I am truly disappointed. It’s true that I am the one who found you, back when you were all alone..."
- "I saw talent in you. You reminded me a little bit of myself, back when I was young. That’s why I sent you to a Trainers’ school, to give you a chance at success."
- "But trying to destroy the mural—part of Galar’s history! You show no love toward Galar! You are clearly not a worthy challenger for the Gym Challenge."
- "We will decide what to do with you later. For now, you will return to Hammerlocke."
- "Ah, Sonia! And <player>, too. Terrible shame, all this. An absolute disaster. I never wish to see us lose challengers for this sort of reason. Yet we do what we must do to keep things fair and sportsmanlike."
- Rose Tower
- "Leon. We’ve discussed this a hundred times already. And still you fail to understand what’s at stake? You, who is supposed to be our Champion..."
- "No, you don’t understand... You still don’t understand a thing!"
- "Look around us, Leon! Look at the Galar region stretched out before us. And know that the energy required to keep this brilliant, glittering world alive will be exhausted a millennium from now! The people of Galar today will no longer even exist. What Galar wants today hardly matters!"
- "The future is more important than just one day! We must act as quickly as we possibly can! We must take action in order to avert tragedy! So that all can look forward to a better future!"
- "I must apologize to you, Hop, if we've made you worry at all. There are times when adults just can’t seem to have an honest discussion with one another. Sometimes our pride just gets in the way."
- "One for the history books... You still don’t understand, young Champion... We... No, I am going to change the course of history!"
- Wyndon Stadium (broadcast)
- "Hello there, Leon and <player>! Just letting you know..."
- "I think it’s time I brought about the Darkest Day. For the sake of Galar's future, of course!"
- "But I’m in a bit of a pickle. The energy released by the Darkest Day is too much for us to contain."
- "I’m sorry it’s come to this. But it’s you who forced my hand, Leon. You refused to listen!"
- Energy Plant
- "And what do you plan on doing, Gym Challenger?"
- Stopping the Darkest Day!: "Uh, pardon? What are you talking about? There’s nothing to stop now. We’ve already brought about the Darkest Day...or should I say, the ultimate Pokémon—Eternatus!"
- Helping the Champion: "I’m afraid I can’t allow that. The Champion is the one who needs to control Eternatus."
- "Must I explain myself? From your perspective, I suppose it must seem that I am doing something terrible. I don’t expect you to understand. But I must provide the Galar region with limitless energy to ensure everlasting prosperity. It is my purpose, my duty, my destiny!"
- "That’s why we’ve been giving the Wishing Stars to Eternatus! Surely you remember the red light that caused a ruckus around Hammerlocke. That was all part of our experiments to awaken Eternatus! You must understand. I can’t let you interfere with my plan to protect the future of Galar!"
- Upon receiving first attack
- "You're pretty tough... Yes, entirely too tough. Don’t you think that's unfair?"
- Before sending out final Pokémon
- "Oh, oh? Down to my last Pokémon... Hmm, this isn't looking too good..."
- "I'll show you a move that'll hit so hard, you'll be speechless!"
- Before using G-Max Steelsurge
- "All right, then... Hopefully, this move will turn things around for me."
- Upon being defeated
- "I'd forgotten how great Pokémon battles are! It's been so long since I battled... That sure was satisfying."
- After being defeated
- "Most impressive, <player>!"
- "I wouldn’t expect any less from a challenger endorsed by the strongest Champion ever to grace our beloved Galar region!"
- "I really do wish I could have seen the Championship Match between you two. And I’m terribly sorry to have ruined the whole Gym Challenge and everything!"
- "It’s too bad, but it can’t be helped... In order to solve the energy issue as soon as possible, we awakened Eternatus. But we couldn’t control it. The Champion came to aid me, even at the cost of abandoning the match."
- "Indeed, just like a knight in shining armor coming to rescue a princess from a dragon!"
- "I do tend to ramble on, I know. I love to make speeches. But I think I can stop talking now."
- "I think the Champion should have captured Eternatus by now. If you’re curious, you can take the lift up."
- "And I trust you’ll be going too, right, Hop? I certainly hope losing to me didn’t discourage you too much. Go on now, both of you! Go see how our Champion is doing!"
- If talked to again
- "Of course I won’t stop you. Head up via the lift, if you wish!"
|Artwork of Chairman Rose|
from Pokémon: Twilight Wings
|Rose's League Card in
Sword and Shield
|Rose's rare League Card in|
Sword and Shield
In the anime
In Pokémon: Twilight Wings
Chairman Rose debuted in Letter, where he was first seen watching a Pokémon League tournament battle between Leon and Bea. Afterwards, he visited a hospital and signed some children's shirts. Rose was then about to leave when he was approached by John, a fan of Leon's who wanted him to give Leon a letter. Since John reminded him of Leon, Rose agreed to fulfill his request. Later, he saw the letter contained a drawing of Leon and his Charizard.
In Training, Rose was informed by Oleana that Bea was going to be training at the Wild Area for a while and thus be away from her Gym for the time being. He approved of Bea's decision and expressed his hope that she wouldn't push herself too hard.
In Early-Evening Waves, Rose approached Nessa following her loss to Milo during the Champions Cup. He implied to Nessa that her competing duties as a Gym Leader and a model were responsible for her loss, and that she should stop modeling if she wanted to reach higher.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
- Rose was designed by Haruko Ichikawa.
|Japanese||ローズ Rose||From rose|
|English||Chairman Rose||Same as his Japanese name|
|German||Liga-Präsident Rose||Same as his Japanese name|
|Spanish||Presidente Rose||Same as his Japanese name|
|French||Président Shehroz||From rosier (rosebush)|
|Italian||Presidente Rose||Same as his Japanese name|
|Korean||로즈 Rose||Transcription of his Japanese name|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||洛茲 / 洛兹 Luòzī||Transcription of his Japanese name|
|Chinese (Cantonese)||洛茲 Lokjī||Mandarin-based transcription of his Japanese name|
|Russian||Роуз Rouz||Transcription of his English name|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|