- If you were looking for the special moves usable in the Pokémon Ranger series, see Field Move (Ranger).
A field move is a move that can be used outside of battle in the core series games. All HM moves have a field move effect, and several other moves do as well. Field moves that are required to bypass certain obstacles in particular games are usually taught by HMs in those games.
Starting in Generation III, whenever a field move is used by a Pokémon, a short animation showing the Pokémon will play. In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, if a field move is used by a walking Pokémon, this animation will not play; the Pokémon will instead be shown moving and using the move in the overworld.
- In Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, Ride Pokémon serve a similar purpose to field moves from previous games.
- In Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!, Secret Techniques are equivalent to the HM field moves from the Generation I games.
- In Pokémon Sword and Shield, there is no longer a direct equivalent to field moves, with the Flying Taxi replacing Fly and the Rotom Bike Water Mode replacing Surf.
- In Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, the eight HM field moves can be used with the help of a new Pokétch app that calls on wild Pokémon for assistance, eliminating the need to teach them to the player's own Pokémon. Field moves make a return in these remakes, with moves such as Teleport being able to be used outside of battle once more.
- In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, any Pokémon can be sent out to do various things like destroy rocks and shake trees, and there are Ride Pokémon that can be ridden.
List of field moves
|Field move||Generation||Effects||Teach method|
|Cut||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Cuts down cuttable plants
Cuts down tall grassI-III
Opens the door to the Dotted HoleFRLG
|Fly||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Transports the player to any previously visited significant location
Opens the door in the Ancient TombRSORAS
|Surf||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Allows the player to travel across water||HM03|
|Strength||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Allows movable boulders to be pushed around
Opens the door in the Desert RuinsRSORAS
Opens a door in the Ruins of AlphCHGSS
Opens the door in the Ancient TombE
Zooms out the player's perspective in certain cavesXY
TM70IV-VI and BDSP
|Dig||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||If used in a dungeon, transports the player to:||TM28|
|Teleport||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Transports the player to the most recently visited Pokémon Center||TM30RBY|
|Soft-Boiled||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Transfers 20% of the user's HP to another Pokémon in the party||TM41RBY|
|Rock Smash||✔||✔||✔||✔||Breaks breakable rocks
Opens the door in the Desert RuinsE
HM06III-IV plus ORAS
TM94V and XY
|Headbutt||✔||✔HGSS||Shakes wild Pokémon from Headbutt trees||TM02GSC|
|Sweet Scent||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||If used in tall grass, in a cave, or on water, triggers a wild battle||TM12GSC|
|Milk Drink||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||Transfers 20% of the user's HP to another Pokémon in the party||Leveling up|
|Secret Power||✔RSE||✔ORAS||Opens an entrance in a big tree, shrub, or wall to create a Secret Base||TM43III-IV|
|Rock Climb||✔||Ascends/descends rocky walls||HM08DPPtHGSS|
|Chatter||✔||✔||If used by a Chatot, allows the player to record a new cry for it||Leveling up|
- Some field moves share their effects with certain items that can be used by the player in the field.
- Flash has had a greater number of different effects than any other field move.
- Milk Drink and Soft-Boiled are the only field moves not to have unique effects, sharing their effects with each other.
- Generation V is the only generation featuring field moves not to introduce either any new field moves or any new effects for existing field moves.
- List of Pokémon by field move
- Poké Ride
- Secret Technique
- Rotom Bike and Flying Taxi
|This article is part of Project Moves and Abilities, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on two related aspects of the Pokémon games.|