Open main menu

Bulbapedia β

050Diglett.png This article is incomplete.
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Determine chances that a Pokémon/item/nothing will appear from a breakable rock in Generations III-IV.

A breakable rock is a type of rock that appears in the overworld which can be broken by a Pokémon. These rocks can be broken by the field move Rock Smash and the Ride Pokémon Tauros Charge and Sharpedo Jet. These rocks appear on routes, in caves, and other locations in the Pokémon world. When broken, a wild Pokémon or item may appear.

Contents

In the games

Often in the core series games, breakable rocks may present an obstacle to the player's advancement past a certain point (requiring the acquisition of a Badge to be able to use Rock Smash) or block the way to an area or item.

Generation II

In Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, when using Rock Smash on a breakable rock, there is a 40% chance that nothing will happen afterwards and a 60% chance that a Pokémon will appear.

Locations Pokémon
Dark Cave, Burned Tower, Route 40, Cianwood City Krabby Shuckle
Mt. Moon Square

Generation III

Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald

In Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, breakable rocks on Route 111 block the player's advancement north until they have received the Dynamo Badge.

Locations Pokémon
Granite Cave Geodude Nosepass
Trick House puzzle 3*
Route 111*, Route 114 Geodude
Mirage Tower*E, Route 115
Safari Zone Geodude ShuckleE
Victory Road* Geodude Graveler

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

FireRed and LeafGreen

Locations Pokémon
Rock Tunnel, Cerulean Cave Geodude Graveler

Generation IV

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum

In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, no items or wild Pokémon appear when rocks are broken. Breakable rocks in the Ravaged Path also prevent the player from reaching Floaroma Town until they have received the Coal Badge.

Locations
Oreburgh Gate*
Ravaged Path*
Wayward Cave*
Mt. Coronet
Route 208
Route 210
Route 211
Route 213
Route 214
Route 222
Victory Road*
Route 228

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

HeartGold and SoulSilver

Locations Pokémon Items
Ruins of Alph Geodude
HG SS
Helix Fossil Helix Fossil Dome Fossil Dome Fossil
Old Amber Old Amber
Red Shard Red Shard
Green Shard Green Shard
Blue Shard Blue Shard
Yellow Shard Yellow Shard
Max Ether Max Ether
Max Revive Max Revive
Cliff Cave Krabby Kingler
HG SS
Red Shard Red Shard Blue Shard Blue Shard
Yellow Shard Yellow Shard Green Shard Green Shard
Claw Fossil Claw Fossil Root Fossil Root Fossil
Max Ether Max Ether
Pearl Pearl
Big Pearl Big Pearl
Rare Bone Rare Bone
Cianwood City Krabby Shuckle Red Shard Red Shard

Green Shard Green Shard

Blue Shard Blue Shard

Yellow Shard Yellow Shard

Max Ether Max Ether

Revive Revive

Heart Scale Heart Scale

Star Piece Star Piece

Dark Cave Geodude Dunsparce
Route 19 Krabby Kingler
Rock Tunnel Geodude
Vermilion City Diglett Shuckle
Victory Road, Cerulean Cave* Geodude Graveler
Route 3, Tohjo Falls, Mt. Silver
Burned Tower

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

Generation V

In Generation V, Rock Smash is not a field move. There are no breakable rocks like in other games, but in Black 2 and White 2 in Clay Tunnel, the player can help clear a section of boulders if a Pokémon in their party knows Rock Smash.

Generation VI

Pokémon X and Y

In Pokémon X and Y, when using Rock Smash on a breakable rock, there is an even chance that: nothing will happen afterwards, a Pokémon will appear, or an item will appear.

Locations Pokémon Items
Glittering Cave Onix Dwebble
X Y
Old Amber Old Amber
Pre-Hall of Fame:
Hard Stone Hard Stone
Revive Revive
Post-Hall of Fame:
Claw Fossil Claw Fossil Dome Fossil Dome Fossil
Root Fossil Root Fossil Helix Fossil Helix Fossil
Skull Fossil Skull Fossil
Armor Fossil Armor Fossil
Cover Fossil Cover Fossil
Plume Fossil Plume Fossil
Route 8, Ambrette Town, Route 12, Azure Bay Dwebble Binacle Big Pearl Big Pearl

Ether Ether

Hard Stone Hard Stone

Heart Scale Heart Scale

Max Ether Max Ether

Max Revive Max Revive

Pearl Pearl

Revive Revive

Soft Sand Soft Sand

Star Piece Star Piece

Cyllage City OnixX Dwebble BinacleY
Route 13 Graveler Slugma
Route 18, Terminus Cave, Victory Road Graveler Shuckle

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, breakable rocks on Route 111 block the player's advancement north until they have received the Dynamo Badge.

When using Rock Smash on a breakable rock, there is an even chance that: nothing will happen afterwards, a Pokémon will appear, or an item will appear.

Locations Pokémon Items
Rusturf Tunnel, Route 111*, Route 114 Geodude Big Pearl Big Pearl

Ether Ether

Hard Stone Hard Stone

Heart Scale Heart Scale

Max Ether Max Ether

Max Revive Max Revive

Normal Gem Normal Gem

Pearl Pearl

Revive Revive

Soft Sand Soft Sand

Star Piece Star Piece

Granite Cave Geodude Nosepass
Lilycove City, Shoal Cave, Seafloor Cavern Graveler
Mirage Caves Graveler Boldore
OR AS
Dome Fossil Dome Fossil Helix Fossil Helix Fossil
Armor Fossil Armor Fossil Skull Fossil Skull Fossil
Plume Fossil Plume Fossil Cover Fossil Cover Fossil
Old Amber Old Amber
Mirage Forests Graveler
Mirage Islands Graveler Binacle
Mirage Mountains Graveler Crustle
Trick House puzzle 2*

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

Generation VII

050Diglett.png This section is incomplete.
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Thorough checking of items in each location such that we are confident these are complete lists.

Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon

In Pokémon Sun, Moon, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, breakable rocks can appear both on land and in the water. On land, these rocks can be broken by the Poké Ride Tauros Charge; in the water, they can be broken by the Poké Ride Sharpedo Jet.

When these rocks are broken, occasionally a sparkling item will be left the aftermath, making a noise while they player is near it until they pick it up.

Games Locations Items
SMUSUM Route 1 Stardust Stardust
SMUSUM Route 2 Stardust Stardust
USUM Route 3 Stardust Stardust
SMUSUM Route 6 Stardust Stardust
SMUSUM Route 15 Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
SMUSUM Route 17 Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
SMUSUM Melemele Sea Stardust Stardust
SMUSUM Lush Jungle Stardust Stardust
USUM Poni Breaker Coast Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Comet Shard Comet Shard
USUM Exeggutor Island Stardust Stardust
SMUSUM Resolution Cave Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Comet Shard Comet Shard
SMUSUM Vast Poni Canyon Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Comet Shard Comet Shard
SMUSUM Poni Plains Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Comet Shard Comet Shard
SMUSUM Poni Coast Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Comet Shard Comet Shard
USUM Iki Town N/A
USUM Wela Volcano Park N/A
Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version

In the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version, breakable rocks appear on Mahalo Trail. The player cannot obtain items from breaking these rocks.

Gallery

Breaking rocks

Rock Smash II OW.png Rock Smash III OW.png Rock Smash DPPt OW.png Rock Smash HGSS OW.png
Generation I RBY Generation I
(Japanese)
Generation I
(international)
Generation II Generation II
(Japanese)
Generation II
(international)
Crystal Generation III Generation III
(Japanese)
Generation III
(international)
RS FRLG FRLGE DPPt Generation IV
(Japanese)
Generation IV
(international)
PtHGSS HGSS Generation V BW B2W2 Generation V
(Japanese)
Generation V
(international)
Generation VI XY ORAS Generation VII Stadium (Jap) Stadium Stadium 2 Colosseum XD Battle Revolution Battle Revolution
(alternative animation)
Battrio Mystery Dungeon PMD: Red and Blue PMD: Time, Darkness, Sky Rumble Rumble Blast

Rocks


Project Games logo.png This game-related article is part of Project Games, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon games.