|Mega Evolution Special I
Pokémon: Mega Evolution Special I (Japanese: ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ ～Act I～ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I~) is the first Mega Evolution Special and the first special episode of Pokémon the Series: XY. It first aired in Japan on April 3, 2014 and in the United States on May 31, 2014.
Other posters and logos
Alain and his Charizard are on a mission to seek out and challenge Mega-Evolved Pokémon! They battle and defeat Astrid and her Mega Absol, unaware that they’re being watched. The observer is a young Trainer named Mairin, who’s just started her journey with her Chespin—and who has a lot of questions about Mega Evolution! Alain tells her he doesn’t have all the answers, but she’s still asking questions when he gets a call and has to leave.
She follows him to a cave, where he finds a Mega Stone. When he emerges, he’s challenged by Dragon Tamer Remo and his Mega Garchomp—with the Mega Stone on the line! Alain wins again, and afterward, Mairin tells him that she wants to learn to use Mega Evolution, too. But first, she’ll have to catch some more Pokémon!
Alain helps Mairin catch a Flabébé, and then he disappears when she takes it to a Pokémon Center. Nurse Joy tells Mairin that he went to a nearby restaurant to challenge the owner, Siebold of the Elite Four, and his Mega Blastoise. Mairin catches up just in time to watch the battle! The type disadvantage is too much for Charizard to overcome even after it Mega Evolves, and Alain is defeated—but Siebold is impressed with his strength. After the battle, Alain continues his journey, and Mairin is determined to go along with him and find a Mega Stone of her own!
Alain, a determined Trainer who aims to defeat all Mega-Evolved Pokémon using his Mega Charizard X. In his latest battle, he challenges Astrid to Mega Evolve her Absol. Alain starts things off with a Flamethrower, though Absol counters with a Psycho Cut before rushing forward using Megahorn. Charizard, however, grabs its horn to block the attack. At this, Alain suggests they both unleash their full power and Mega Evolve their Pokémon. Astrid complies, tapping her Key Stone earring to activate Absol's Absolite, and transforming it into a fearsome winged beast. Alain follows on with his Charizard Mega Evolving into a Mega Charizard X. Mega Charizard flies into action with Steel Wing, which collides with Absol's counter Megahorn attack. The shockwaves sent through the air get the attention of curious beginner, Mairin, who stops to watch the match unfold. Absol is pushed back by an intense Dragon Claw and Flamethrower. Mega Charizard prevails by using Blast Burn to counter Absol's Dark Pulse. With the match over, both Mega Absol and Charizard revert back to their typical forms. Astrid is impressed by Alain’s remarkable strength, and he replies that he hopes to face other powerful Trainers like her in the future.
While Alain and Charizard take a break by a river, Alain senses that he is being watched and orders the person to show themselves. Mairin and her Chespin nicknamed Chespie nervously emerge from hiding, before admitting they watched the battle that just unfolded. Alain is confused and asks if she wants a battle. Mairin replies with absolutely not, as she is just a beginning Trainer. But then she brings up gossip from Lumiose City that a rampaging Garchomp ran loose and that a Trainer freed her from enemy control, and afterwards saved a Pokémon falling from Prism Tower. Alain finally introduces himself, admitting that he and Charizard want to master Mega Evolution. Mairin is intrigued by the temporary phenomenon known as Mega Evolution, to which Alain admits is still a big mystery. He recalls his time as one of Professor Sycamore's aide, where he first learned of Mega Evolution. Determined to learn more, Alain set off on a journey to search for a Mega Stone, and Professor Sycamore allowed him to take a Charmander along. Suddenly, he receives a call where to go next, with Mairin tagging along, her curiosity piqued.
Mairin finds Alain in some old ruins. Inside, Alain finds a Mega Stone, but is troubled to what Pokémon it corresponds to. As he walks out, a man named Remo challenges him to battle, claiming that he needs the Mega Stone to bring it to his boss. Alain accepts, and Remo introduces to Charizard a Garchomp named Garchoo. Keen for a challenge, both opponents immediately Mega Evolve their Pokémon. Garchoo makes the first move, pushing Mega Charizard back with a Dragon Rush. Mega Charizard take to the air before firing at its opponent. Remo orders Garchoo into the air, though Mega Charizard escapes its Dual Chop attack. Alain calls for a Dragon Claw, which exchanges blows with Garchoo’s Dual Chops. An explosive clash sends both sides into the battlefield below, with Charizard winning and Garchoo collapsing from his wounds.
Alain leaves the ruins with his new Mega Stone in hand. He notices Mairin still following him, and orders her to stop. Mairin remains defiant and declares that she will catch plenty of Pokémon and eventually defeat Alain with her own Mega Evolved Pokémon. Alain sarcastically says that he cannot wait. Their sharp exchange is interrupted by a passing Yellow Flower Flabébé. Mairin orders Chespie use Pin Missile, though Flabébé counters with a Magical Leaf. Chespie tries a Vine Whip, but Flabébé floats out of the way. With some advice from Alain, switches tactics and poisons Flabébé with Toxic attack. She then catches Flabébé, who she nicknames Bébé, her first Pokémon. They then rush to the nearest Pokémon Center to have Bébé recover. Mairin realizes Alain has disappeared again, to which Nurse Joy reveals that she informed Alain that Siebold of the Elite Four operates a restaurant nearby.
In the kitchen, one of the waiters informs Siebold of a promising challenger. Siebold walks over to Alain's table and instantly notices Alain's Mega Ring, and promptly guides him and Mairin through to the battlefield. Siebold queries Alain about his choice of Charizard, a Fire-type with a big disadvantage against his Water-type Blastoise. Alain stands by his choice, remarking that his friendship with Charizard goes beyond anything. Alain immediately Mega Evolved his Charizard and starts off the match with a Dragon Claw. Blastoise fires off several Hydro Pumps, but after Mega Charizard evades them, it rockets forward with a Skull Bash. Mega Charizard, however, blocks Blastoise's advance with its Dragon Claws. Alain calls for the main course, to which Siebold activates his Key Stone and Blastoise's Blastoisinite evolves it into Mega Blastoise. Mega Charizard prepares to land a Steel Wing attack, but is battered down by Blastoise using Dragon Pulse. Siebold remarks that Mega has an added advantage with its Mega Launcher Ability. He orders another Hydro Pump, though Mega Charizard flies ahead. Mega Blastoise readies a Power-Up Punch which collides with a Flamethrower attack, pushing both sides back. Mega Charizard returns to grab a hold of its opponent's shell before delivering a close range Dragon Claw. Siebold calls for the finishing blow, and a Dragon Pulse defeats Charizard. Nonetheless, Siebold is impressed by Alain's performance.
On the road again, Mairin wants to follow Alain so she can get a Mega Stone and Mega Evolve her Pokémon to beat him. He just shrugs and remembers Professor Sycamore declaring mankind is entering "a time of great change". But woe be in his way, with Lysandre, in his laboratory, also interested in the possibilities and immense power offered by Mega Evolution.
- Alain is introduced.
- Alain meets Mairin, a beginning Trainer.
- Alain finds a Gyaradosite.
- Mairin catches a Flabébé, which she nicknames "Bébé".
- Alain has a battle against Siebold of the Kalos Elite Four, but loses.
- Mairin decides to travel with Alain.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- Mega Absol
- Mega Blastoise
- Mega Garchomp
- Flabébé (Yellow Flower)
- Mega Venusaur
- Mega Charizard Y
- Mega Alakazam
- Mega Gengar
- Mega Kangaskhan
- Mega Pinsir
- Mega Gyarados
- Mega Aerodactyl
- Mega Mewtwo X
- Mega Ampharos
- Mega Scizor
- Mega Heracross
- Mega Houndoom
- Mega Tyranitar
- Mega Gardevoir
- Mega Mawile
- Mega Aggron
- Mega Medicham
- Mega Manectric
- Mega Banette
- Mega Lucario
- Mega Abomasnow
Main series debuts
- Nurse Joy
- Professor Sycamore (flashback)
- Sophie (flashback)
- Siebold's butler
- Restaurant patrons
- Charmander (Alain's; flashback)
- Charizard (Mega Charizard X; Alain's)
- Chespin (Mairin's; Chespie)
- Flabébé (Mairin's; Yellow Flower; Bébé; new)
- Wigglytuff (Nurse Joy's)
- Garchomp (Professor Sycamore's; flashback)
- Blastoise (Siebold's; Mega Blastoise)
- Absol (Astrid's; Mega Absol)
- Garchomp (Remo's; Garchoo; Mega Garchomp)
- Venusaur (Mega Venusaur; intro)
- Charizard (Mega Charizard Y; intro)
- Blastoise (Mega Blastoise; intro)
- Alakazam (Mega Alakazam; intro)
- Gengar (Mega Gengar; intro)
- Kangaskhan (Mega Kangaskhan; intro)
- Pinsir (Mega Pinsir; intro)
- Gyarados (Mega Gyarados; intro)
- Aerodactyl (Mega Aerodactyl; intro)
- Mewtwo (×2; Mega Mewtwo X and Y; intro)
- Ampharos (Mega Ampharos; intro)
- Scizor (Mega Scizor; intro)
- Heracross (Mega Heracross; intro)
- Houndoom (Mega Houndoom; intro)
- Tyranitar (Mega Tyranitar; intro)
- Blaziken (Mega Blaziken; intro)
- Gardevoir (Mega Gardevoir; intro)
- Mawile (Mega Mawile; intro)
- Aggron (Mega Aggron; intro)
- Medicham (Mega Medicham; intro)
- Manectric (Mega Manectric; intro)
- Banette (Mega Banette; intro)
- Lucario (Mega Lucario; intro)
- Abomasnow (Mega Abomasnow; intro)
- Combee (×2; flashback)
- Marill (flashback)
- Helioptile (flashback)
- Psyduck (flashback)
- Azurill (flashback)
- Linoone (flashback)
- Scatterbug (flashback)
- Zigzagoon (flashback)
- Lucario (painting; flashback)
|Alain||Jonathan Silver||Alain||Kenshō Ono||アラン||小野賢章|
|Mairin||Zoe Martin||Manon||Mikako Komatsu||マノン||小松未可子|
|Narration||H.D. Quinn||Narration||Hideaki Tezuka||ナレーション||手塚秀彰|
|Special appearances by|
|Astrid||Kate Bristol||Ayaka||Miyuu Sawai||アヤカ||沢井美優|
|Remo||Marc Thompson||Louie||Kōichi Yamadera||ルイ||山寺宏一|
|Siebold||Eli James||Zumi||Hiroyuki Yoshino||ズミ||吉野裕行|
|Lysandre||H.D. Quinn||Fuladari||Hideaki Tezuka||フラダリ||手塚秀彰|
|Professor Sycamore (anime)||Jake Paque||Platane||Hiroshi Tsuchida||プラターヌ||土門大|
|Animation supervisor *
|Chief animation supervisor
- This special aired between XY021 and XY022 in Japan.
- This is the first appearance of a male Garchomp in the anime.
- This is the first time multiple Mega Evolved Pokémon are featured simultaneously in the anime.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a number of Pokémon species in the anime after long absences:
- Blastoise, who last appeared in One Team, Two Team, Red Team, Blue Team!.
- Kangaskhan, who last appeared in Aiding the Enemy!.
- Absol and Manectric, both of whom last appeared in Arceus and the Jewel of Life.
- Alakazam, who last appeared in Historical Mystery Tour!.
- Scizor, who last appeared in Mastering Current Events!.
- Venusaur and Aerodactyl, both of whom last appeared in Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
- This episode marks the debut of Blast Burn in the anime, despite it having existed since Generation III.
- With this, all variations of Hyper Beam have been featured in the anime.
- This is the first time Toxic has been used by a non-Poison-type Pokémon in the anime.
- Excluding Pikachu shorts, this is the first dubbed special not narrated by Rodger Parsons or Mike Pollock.
- Mairin references Ash and the events of Lumiose City Pursuit!.
- Excluding flashbacks, this marks the only time Alain is seen losing a battle with another Trainer in Pokémon the Series: XY.
- Despite Mairin catching a Flabébé in this episode, it's not seen during any of her future appearances.
- In the flashback in which Professor Sycamore appears, his female Garchomp has a cut on her fin, a male-only trait.
- In the credits of the English dub, Astrid's voice actress, Kate Bristol, is incorrectly credited as "Kate Briston".
- In the Hindi dub, the intro scene with the multiple Mega Evolved Pokémon and the title card was skipped, and the episode started directly from the scene after the title card.
In other languages
|European French||Pokémon : Méga-Évolution 1 *|
Mega évolution - Episode Spécial I
|German||Pokémon: Sonderfolge I zur Mega-Entwicklung *|
Mega-Entwicklung - Sonderfolge I
|Italian||Episodio speciale I della miniserie Pokémon Megaevoluzione *|
Megaevoluzione - Episodio Speciale I
|Korean||최강 메가진화 ACT I|
|European Spanish||Megaevolución. Episodio especial I|
|Thai||พัฒนาร่างเมก้าที่แกร่งที่สุด บทที่ 1|
|Vietnamese||Sức mạnh tối thượng của tiến hóa Mega - Phần 1|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|