Mega Evolution Specials
Pokémon: Mega Evolution Special (Japanese: ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution) is a series of four side story episodes that are set during Ash's journey through Kalos. The specials focus on an original protagonist and former assistant of Professor Sycamore, Alain, and his partner, a Mega Charizard X, and his quest to research and defeat every known Mega-Evolved Pokémon. He is joined by Mairin, a beginning Trainer who started with her Chespin, nicknamed Chespie. Other characters include Steven, the Hoenn League Champion, and Lysandre, a mysterious benefactor who has his own reasons for pursuing Mega Evolution.
In Japan, the first special aired on April 3, 2014, a week after the Japanese debut of A PokéVision of Things to Come!. It focused on Alain's journey to different parts of Kalos to fight and defeat Trainers with Mega Pokémon, including Siebold of the Kalos Elite Four. Subsequent episodes aired in Japan on a biyearly basis, with the second and third episodes focusing around Mega Rayquaza, the Primal forms of Groudon and Kyogre, and the origins of Mega Evolution in Hoenn. The fourth and final special aired on October 29, 2015, tying directly into the XY&Z arc of the XY series.
In the United States, the first special aired on May 31, 2014, a week after the English debut of A Conspiracy to Conquer!. The remaining three specials aired before the first episode of, halfway through, and the week after the last episode of Pokémon the Series: XY Kalos Quest.
|Code||Screenshot||English title||Japanese title||US broadcast||Japan broadcast||Time between|
|SS029||Mega Evolution Special I|| ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ ～Act I～
Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I~
|May 31, 2014||April 3, 2014||58 days|
|SS031||Mega Evolution Special II|| ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ ～Act II～
Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act II~
|February 7, 2015||November 6, 2014||93 days|
|SS032||Mega Evolution Special III|| ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ ～Act III～
Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act III~
|August 15, 2015||March 19, 2015||149 days|
|SS035||Mega Evolution Special IV|| ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ ～Act IV～
Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act IV~
|December 26, 2015||October 29, 2015||58 days|
|This concludes the Mega Evolution Specials.|
- Main characters
- Supporting characters
|Alain||Jonathan Silver||Alain||Kenshō Ono||アラン||小野賢章|
|Charizard||Kensuke Satō||Lizardon||Kensuke Satō||リザードン||佐藤健輔|
|Mairin||Zoe Martin||Manon||Mikako Komatsu||マノン||小松未可子|
|Chespie||Suzy Myers||Hari-san||Yuka Terasaki||ハリさん||寺崎裕香|
|H.D. Quinn|| Fuladari
|Hideaki Tezuka|| フラダリ
|Steven Stone||Andrew Paull||Daigo Tsuwabuki||Kenichi Suzumura||ツワブキ・ダイゴ||鈴村健一|
|Metagross||Kenta Miyake||Metagross||Kenta Miyake||メタグロス||三宅健太|
|Professor Sycamore||Jake Paque||Platane||Hiroshi Tsuchida||プラターヌ||土門大|
|Special appearances by|
|Astrid||Kate Bristol||Ayaka||Miyuu Sawai||アヤカ||沢井美優|
|Remo||Marc Thompson||Louie||Kōichi Yamadera||ルイ||山寺宏一|
|Siebold||Eli James||Zumi||Hiroyuki Yoshino||ズミ||吉野裕行|
|Malva||Samara Naeymi||Pachira||Akeno Watanabe||パキラ||渡辺明乃|
|Zygarde Core||Billy Bob Thompson||Zygarde Core||Yūki Kaji||ジガルデ・コア||梶裕貴|
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
- Alain meets Mairin, a beginner Trainer.
- Alain obtains an unknown Mega Stone.
- Mairin catches a Flabébé, which she nicknames "Bébé".
- Alain has a battle against Siebold of the Elite Four, but loses.
- Mairin decides to travel with Alain.
- Alain and Mairin arrive in the Hoenn region.
- Alain and Charizard battle Steven and his Shiny Mega Metagross, but the battle is interrupted by Lysandre.
- Steven is revealed to be the Hoenn League Champion.
- It is revealed that Alain currently works with Lysandre and Lysandre Labs, and that he received his Mega Ring and Charizardite X from him.
- Rayquaza attacks Alain and company during their research, becoming Mega Rayquaza in the process.
- Alain and Steven attempt to battle Mega Rayquaza, but are quickly overwhelmed.
- Lysandre orders Alain to go to Rustboro City.
- Alain, Mairin, and Steven arrive in Rustboro City.
- Alain and Steven battle Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.
- Mega Rayquaza reappears, stopping the rampage between Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.
- Lysandre obtains the legendary giant rock.
- Professor Sycamore learns that Alain can use Mega Evolution.
- Alain separates from Mairin and returns to Lysandre Labs to train.
- Mairin returns to Kalos with Steven in search of Alain.
In other languages
|Chinese||Cantonese||寵物小精靈XY 特別篇 最強超強化|
|Mandarin||神奇寶貝XY 特別版 最強超進化|
|European French||Pokémon : Méga-Évolution|
|German||Pokémon: Sonderfolgen zur Mega-Entwicklung|
|Italian||Miniserie Pokémon Megaevoluzione|
|Korean||포켓몬스터 XY 특별편 -최강 메가진화-|
|European Spanish||Especial Pokémon Megaevolución|
|Thai||โปเกมอน เอ็กซ์วาย ตอนพิเศษ พัฒนาร่างเมก้าที่แกร่งที่สุด|
|Vietnamese||Pokémon: Sức mạnh tối thượng của tiến hóa Mega|
- Official site (Japanese)
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|