| Historical Mystery Tour!
| ネイティ、 ネイティオ。。。不思議な森！|
Naty, Natio... Mysterious Forest!
|| August 27, 2009
| United States
|| January 16, 2010
|| Team Iguchi
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| 大庭秀昭 Hideaki Ōba
| Assistant director
|| 近橋伸隆 Nobutaka Chikahashi
| Animation director
|| 木下和栄 Kazue Kinoshita
| Additional credits
Historical Mystery Tour! (Japanese: ネイティ、 ネイティオ。。。不思議な森！ Naty, Natio... Mysterious Forest!) is the 140th episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 606th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on August 27, 2009 and in the United States on January 16, 2010.
As the Twinleaf Festival winds down, our heroes encounter a Natu and a Xatu, who provide them with a mysterious and puzzling adventure they’ll never forget!
Coming to the close of the Twinleaf Festival, our heroes are enjoying some of the many treats it offers when they run into their old friend Barry, who challenges Ash to a battle right away. But Barry suddenly notices a Xatu overhead and takes off, with Ash and Misty following.
Soon everyone (minus a very bored Brock, who has volunteered to man one of the booths to cover for a sick attendant) comes across a strange circus tent, and they’re all invited inside. Suddenly, a blinding light causes Ash and his friends to lose consciousness. Upon awakening, they realize they’ve become separated from one another, and they’re surrounded by seemingly gigantic Pokémon!
Meanwhile, Team Rocket is manning the Goldeen Scoop Game booth at the festival, and a stranger threatens to win every Goldeen in stock! But James comes to the rescue, as his younger years’ training in the Goldeen Scoop Game allows him to defeat the stranger and keep the Goldeen for other customers.
When our heroes are finally reunited, they begin to think that the mysterious Natu might hold some answers to their strange experiences of late. After defeating a gigantic Camerupt, they all find themselves back to normal size. They run into Barry’s dad, Palmer, who attempts to explain some of the mysteries of the past, present, and future, although Barry is more confused than ever. We leave our heroes as they ponder the fascinating things Palmer has told them!
Ash, Brock, and Dawn are walking with Johanna and enjoying the Twinleaf Festival when Barry runs into Ash. Barry says he is entering the Festival Battle Challenge, so he challenges Ash to a practice battle. As the two run off to have their battle, Johanna tells Dawn to go with them, and she runs off after them. Then Sayer shows up and tells Johanna that one of their booth salespeople have gotten ill, and that they are one salesperson short. To help solve the problem, Brock offers to run the stand for him.
Later, Barry's Heracross and Pikachu are battling. Pikachu starts with a Quick Attack, but Heracross block it and lands a strike of its own using Megahorn. As the battle continues Barry is shocked as he notices a Xatu flying over. Dawn looks it up on her Pokédex and Barry runs off following it with Ash and Dawn in pursuit. As they catch up, they see a big tent up ahead with a Grumpig, a Mr. Mime, a Seel and an Alakazam outside doing circus tricks and the Xatu they've followed is perched on the rooftop. Barry tells Ash and Dawn that the tent used to be a part of the festival. A clown approaches and invites them inside the tent which he says "it connects the past, present and the future".
After a bright flash of light, Ash wakes up alone in a field of tall grass. He stands up and sees a particularly large pair of Nidoking and a Nidoqueen, and he continues to see several other large Pokémon. Then a pack of Mightyena appear, which sends Ash running to safety and diving into a hole. As he gets back out a Natu runs by and Ash tries to follow it. Meanwhile, Dawn fins herself standing along a riverbank, calling for Ash, Barry and Piplup. Like Ash, Dawn sees several large Pokémon including a Fearow flying overhead, a Magikarp and a Feebas jump out of the water. They are all bigger than usual. She sees a Natu hop by and looks it up on her Pokédex. She wants to send her Pokémon out but her Poké Balls are not working. Elsewhere, Barry is sitting on the edge of a cliff, watching groups of over-sized Tauros, Sandslash and Dodrio graze. He then spots a Natu and follows it.
Brock is trying to run his Hit-the-Camerupt booth and lets out his Pokémon to help him. Despite his upbeat manner, no one approaches. Team Rocket is watching people play their Goldeen scoop game, but no one can catch one on their net. Jessie gets mad when one of the kids say the game is rigged but James stops her from doing anything. Then a man walks up and grabs one of the nets. James observes him and informs them that the man may be the famous Goldeen Scoop Master. The Master lives up to his reputation, amazing the crowd with his catching prowess. Determined to settle things, James steps up and challenges him to a 10 minute Goldeen scoop-off. The Goldeen Scoop Master accepts, and the competition gets heated as both continue to catch Goldeen. The Master's net unexpectedly breaks, winning James the victory and the Goldeen. James's performance attracts new customers hoping to beat the record.
Meanwhile, Barry reaches a familiar tree, and recalls that he caught his Heracross after slathering some honey on it. Barry then sees a jar of honey nearby. He goes up and spreads some on a tree and his Heracross flies up. It begins to eat the honey and Barry begins to freak out. Then he sees the same Natu he saw a little while ago. Though Ash relives the moment he was attacked by a group of Spearow early on in his journey. He accidentally steps on a Spearow's feather which begins to follow him but is taken out by Pikachu, who is also larger than normal. A group of Spearow show up and Pikachu takes Ash onto his back. As it starts to rain, the Spearow have already reached them and Pikachu stops, dropping Ash down. He uses Iron Tail and Thunderbolt to get rid of them. After the battle is over, the rain ceases. Meanwhile, like when she first left home, Dawn is attacked by a group of Ariados which use their strings and trap her in their web. Then Piplup shows up and breaks the web with his Bubble Beam and defeats the threat with Bide. He then catches Dawn and together they leave.
As Dawn and Piplup follow Natu, they suddenly bump into Ash, Pikachu, Barry, and Heracross, who were all following the same Natu. Then, the Natu creates an illusion of the Tent and summons a Camerupt. Ash and Dawn attack the Camerupt but it takes no damage. Reminded by the Hit-the-Camerupt game, Barry comes up with the idea that they should hit it on the rings on its side. Heracross fires a Double-Edge and one of Camerupt's craters erupt. Piplup fires a Bubble Beam and the other crater erupts. Pikachu finally uses Thunderbolt and Camerupt sends out a large explosion. Natu steps in front and bursts into light.
Ash, Barry, and Dawn all find themselves back outside the tent and see Xatu flying above them. Barry follows it again but he bumps into somebody, his father, Palmer. Both Barry and Palmer are surprised to see each other. Palmer reveals that he has also visited Xatu's Forest. Barry is left wondering whether it was all a dream, though Palmer's explanation that the past connects to the future only confuses his son. Palmer reiterates that Xatu have the ability to see into the past and the future, so it may have wanted to remind the kids of their pasts to affect their future paths. They all come back to the festival and Dawn asks Barry how he thought of hitting the rings on Camerupt, however he cannot explain it. Meanwhile, Sawyer congratulates the Rocket trio on a good day's business while Brock remains bored as he is still without any customers.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Main series debuts
- The dub title of this episode is a play on The Beatles song, album, and film, "Magical Mystery Tour".
- Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Examination: Castform.
- This is the first episode featuring Barry where his Empoleon does not appear.
- This is the first episode to use music from Giratina and the Sky Warrior.
- Ash, Dawn, and Barry relive scenes when they were beginning as Pokémon Trainers: Ash is chased by Spearow in the middle of a storm, Dawn is chased by Ariados, and Barry was slathering Honey on a tree.
- This episode aired the same week that Stopped in the Name of Love! aired in the United States, where Dawn and Piplup also had to deal with a group of Ariados in the same way they did when Dawn was beginning as a Trainer.
- During the flashback of when Barry caught his Heracross, he was wearing a straw hat. In a flashback in The Ties that Bind, Ash was wearing a similar straw hat. In both flashbacks, both Ash and Barry were beginning Trainers, and trying to catch Pokémon (Ash was fishing, and Barry was slathering Honey on a tree).
- Palmer makes his debut appearance exactly 100 episodes after Cynthia made hers. Coincidentally, they both made cameos in Arceus and the Jewel of Life battling each other, and they shared the same battle music in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.
- This episode marks the second time when Ash has been shrunk in the anime. The other two episodes where this happens are Abra and the Psychic Showdown and Dummy, You Shrunk the Kids!.
- Team Rocket does not blast off or recite their motto in this episode.
- Nidoqueen's lower jaw is colored blue instead of cream.
- In one scene, the Poké Ball symbol on Dawn's hat is darker than it should be.
- In that same scene, one of Dawn's yellow hair clips is missing.
Nidoqueen's blue lower jaw
- The frame of Barry with sparkles in his eyes and a blue background appears in the original Japanese version but is cut from the English version. Despite this, it appears as the episode's thumbnail on the official website.
In other languages