| Top-Down Training!
Top-Down Training! (Japanese: チャンピオン・シロナ登場！ Enter Champion Shirona!) is the 40th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 506th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on July 19, 2007 and in the United States on December 8, 2007.
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
When word gets out that Champion League Master Cynthia is in town, our heroes can't resist a chance to meet her in person. But Paul is also in town, and he can't resist challenging Cynthia to a battle! The local Trainers are shocked that he has the nerve to challenge the Champion, and they're even more shocked when Cynthia agrees to a 6-on-6 battle. Against her mighty Garchomp, Paul's Pokémon don't stand a chance: Garchomp knocks out his Chimchar, Weavile, Murkrow, and even his Torterra!
The battle ends there, and Cynthia has to remind Paul to take his Pokémon to the Pokémon Center right away. She even helps care for his Pokémon when Nurse Joy is called away to another urgent case. Ash tries to convince Paul that his training methods are too harsh, but Paul doesn't care and Ash starts to lose his temper. Ever the diplomatic one, Cynthia steps in to gently remind Paul that there's more to traveling with Pokémon than simply trying to be strong.
While Cynthia gives our heroes a history lesson, Team Rocket sneaks into the Pokémon Center and steals Paul's Chimchar as it's sleeping. Paul and our heroes discover the kidnapping and Paul sends out yet another of his Pokémon—an Ursaring! Ursaring hits Team Rocket with a Hyper Beam and Chimchar escapes, but Paul is annoyed that it let itself be captured in the first place. Before she leaves for Celestic Town, Cynthia politely suggests that Paul take time to bond with his Pokémon. As for our heroes, she's given them something to think about... but it remains to be seen if her words managed to touch Paul!
In a stadium filled with people, Lucian and Cynthia are battling with their Pokémon, Bronzong and Garchomp. Bronzong used its Flash Cannon on Garchomp which Garchomp was easily able to escape, coming out unscathed by blocking the attack with her fin.
Ash and his friends were sitting in a Pokémon Center, watching the battle on television. Garchomp was able to use Giga Impact, knocking out Lucian's Bronzong. Ash was pumped as he watched the battle. He and the gang overheard someone say that Cynthia had shown up at a place called Amity Square.
Meanwhile, Cynthia seems indecisive about what kind of ice cream she wants. She is later seen with a stone containing images of Palkia and Dialga. This is when Ash and friends show up, adding more to the people surrounding Cynthia. All of sudden, Paul shows up.
Ash is seemingly excited about seeing Paul, saying that he's finally got two Badges. After asking how many Paul has received, Paul brushes it off. He then challenges Cynthia to a battle. Many people in the crowd are shocked at this action, and even more so when Cynthia agrees. Paul requests a six-on-six match. Meanwhile, Team Rocket is watching the battle.
Cynthia calls out her Garchomp, while Paul chooses Chimchar; a choice that surprises Cynthia, as well as the crowd, due to its disadvantage as a Fire-type. Paul commands Chimchar to use Fire Spin and then Dig. Once hit with Fire Spin, Garchomp also used Dig under Cynthia's command. The dig collided with Chimchar, knocking it out. As Paul recalls it, he scolds it for its loss, which isn't sitting too well with either Cynthia or Ash.
Paul then uses Weavile, a much better type matchup. He commands for his Weavile to use Blizzard, and despite being a super-effective hit, it does not faze Garchomp at all. Garchomp then uses Dragon Rush, which causes Weavile to freeze instead of trying to dodge. Paul tells Weavile to use Ice Beam. However, Garchomp was able to dodge the attack twice and slammed itself into Weavile, knocking it out cold.
Paul then sends out Murkrow. Immediately, he tells Murkrow to use Haze, which Garchomp dodges. Murkrow flies behind Garchomp (Ash compliments its Speed) and Paul tells it to use Sky Attack. Cynthia has Garchomp counter with Giga Impact. After returning his fallen Murkrow, Paul shows a rough smile while Ash, Dawn, Brock as well as Cynthia are confused as to why he is doing so, due to having lost half of his team in short order. Paul then, sends out Torterra.
He commands Torterra to use Giga Drain. Since Giga Impact left Garchomp unable to move, Giga Drain was able to hit and it causes Garchomp to kneel down, much to the surprise of the crowd. After Giga Drain, Torterra uses Frenzy Plant and it causes dust to kick up. When the dust clears Garchomp is seen blocking attack with her fins, much to Paul's astonishment. Cynthia then tells Garchomp to use Brick Break. Garchomp pushes the vines from Frenzy Plant away and jumps into the air, hitting Torterra with Brick Break on its head, taking it down and out.
Paul then gives up the battle, to which the crowd responds by poking fun at him. Ash, with new found respect, rebukes the crowd and compliments Paul on a great battle. Paul says goodbye to Cynthia and walks away. Ash realizes that isn't where the Pokémon Center is, and Cynthia demands that Paul go to the Center to heal his Pokémon.
Unfortunately, when they get there, Nurse Joy claims that she needs to perform surgery on an injured Pokémon. Cynthia decides to heal Paul's Pokémon by herself, to which Brock says that he'd love to help out. Croagunk comes out of his Poké Ball to use Poison Jab, but stops once he sees Cynthia, and blushes instead.
The episode switches to Cynthia treating Paul's Torterra. She moves over to Chimchar, giving it a pill. Chimchar falls asleep and the episode goes to Team Rocket, who are hiding outside the window. Team Rocket claims that they are going to steal Paul's Pokémon.
Cynthia then tells Paul that his Pokémon are all healed and well trained, especially his Torterra. This is where Paul reveals that Torterra was his very first Pokémon. He also says that he traveled around Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn, where he caught his Murkrow and Weavile, failing to win any of their Pokémon League Conferences, before coming back to Sinnoh, where he caught his Chimchar. When Cynthia compliments Chimchar, Paul complains that Chimchar didn't do well against Garchomp. Ash then argues that he didn't care how many Pokémon got hurt, to which Paul responds with "your point?". Ash asks why Paul doesn't care about his Pokémon. Paul claims that his Pokémon will then become spoiled and not try hard enough in battle, and Chimchar was the perfect example. Ash becomes angrier, saying that he has to support his Pokémon. Upon Paul saying that he wants to become stronger, Cynthia took them back to the stone tablet she was at earlier in Amity Square, and reads it to them. She claims that before reading this tablet, she used to train endlessly. Then she discovered that all Pokémon have different personalities and she wanted to get to know all of them.
Meanwhile, back at the Pokémon Center, Team Rocket hover over the still sleeping Chimchar. Before trying to steal all of Paul's Pokémon, Nurse Joy catches them. Team Rocket makes a run for it, just grabbing Chimchar. Outside the center, the gang is headed back and sees Team Rocket with Chimchar. They chase after Team Rocket, who try to make a get away in their balloon. Chimchar then wakes up, using Ember on Team Rocket. Before Ash can react and call out Staravia, Paul sends out his Ursaring and tells it to use Hyper Beam. Chimchar jumps away from Team Rocket right before the attack collides with them, sending them blasting off.
Chimchar falls to the ground, getting injured once more. However, Paul doesn't care, calling Chimchar useless for being captured by Team Rocket. Dawn says that it wasn't Chimchar's fault since Chimchar was sleeping. Cynthia is able to stop the yelling, mentioning that what matters now is that Chimchar is okay. She advises Paul to stay the night at the Center.
The episode then switches to the Center, where Ash and the others are watching Sinnoh Now. The newscast mentions the ancient ruins in Celestic Town holding the Lustrous Orb, which is related to the legendary Pokémon Palkia. The Lustrous Orb is related to the Adamant Orb, on display in Eterna City. The Lustrous Orb is said to increase the powers of Palkia.
Cynthia then decides it is time to head to Celestic Town, saying goodbye to our heroes.
- Ash, Dawn, and Brock encounter Paul again.
- Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Paul meet Cynthia, the Sinnoh League Champion.
- Paul's starter Pokémon is revealed to have been a Turtwig, which has already evolved into a Torterra.
- Paul is revealed to own a Weavile and a Murkrow.
- Paul has a Full Battle against Cynthia and loses by forfeit.
- Paul's Chimchar is revealed to have learned Fire Spin.
- Paul is revealed to have traveled through Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto and participated in their respective League Conferences.
- The Lustrous Orb is discovered near Celestic Town.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
TV episode debuts
- Nurse Joy
- Lucian (on TV)
- Sinnoh Now staff
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Croagunk (Brock's)
- Chansey (Nurse Joy's)
- Bronzong (Lucian's; on TV)
- Garchomp (Cynthia's; debut)
- Ursaring (Paul's)
- Torterra (Paul's)
- Weavile (Paul's)
- Chimchar (Paul's)
- Murkrow (Paul's)
- Unown (inscription)
- Dialga (tablet)
- Palkia (tablet)
- No Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Encyclopedia was aired; instead, a promotion for The Rise of Darkrai aired.
- The tablet that Cynthia was reading before battling Paul had Unown on it. The inscription is the Japanese version of the inscription in Solaceon Ruins. The inscription is in Rōmaji, and is as follows (note that some parts of the inscription do not match the standard Hepburn romanization system):
SUBETE NO INOCHI HA
BETSU NO INOCHI TO DEAI
NANIKA WO UMIDASU
- The translation which is recited by Cynthia in the dub is When every life meets another life, something will be born; this is correct, although she omits the "Friend" at the beginning of the inscription. It is also officially subtitled in English from Japanese as All life encounters other life and creates something new. The same Unown writing would later appear in Journey to the Unown!.
- This episode was the first to air in Japan after the theatrical release of The Rise of Darkrai.
- Music from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew was used as background music.
- Music from Mewtwo Strikes Back is played in the dub when Brock's Croagunk shows affection for Cynthia.
- Dawn narrates the preview for the next episode.
- This is one of the few episodes of the Diamond & Pearl series where Dawn's Piplup does not appear.
- Right before Torterra is hit by Garchomp's Brick Break and by the end of the episode, the top half of Torterra's face was brown, instead of the normal green.
- The dub places the setting of the episode as Amity Square, while the Japanese version just places it in a nature park that is unique to the anime.
- In the dub, Brock says in one scene "It would be amazing to meet Dialga and Palkia!" The Japanese version of this episode was the first one to be aired after The Rise of Darkrai, while the English version of the movie did not premiere until after the entire tenth season was aired.
In other languages
|European French||Une belle leçon de dressage|
|German||Der große Traum der Meisterin!|
|Italian||Il coraggio di Paul|
|Korean||진철, 챔피언 난천에게 도전하다|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Um Desafio de Elite!|
|Portugal||Treino de Topo!|
|Romanian||Antrenament de Elită|
|Russian||Вот так тренировка|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Entrenamiento especial!|
|Spain||¡Una entrenadora de primera!|
|Swedish||Paul och Cynthia!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|