|The Battlefield of Truth and Love!
The Battlefield of Truth and Love! (Japanese: ムサシVSコジロウ！愛と真実のバトルフィールド！！ Musashi VS Kojirō! Battlefield of Truth and Love!!) is the 131st episode of Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon, and the 1,070th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on July 21, 2019 and in the United States on November 23, 2019.
As the Alola Pokémon League continues, it’s time to decide on four more competitors to move to the next round! First up is Sophocles and Vikavolt against Mina and Ribombee, and while Ribombee is powerful, it’s no match for Vikavolt’s Signal Beam! Then, it’s a Team Rocket showdown as James and Mareanie take on Jessie and Wobbuffet. The match is close, but James decides to give it his all—and wins! After that, Kiawe and Marowak defeat Acerola and Rapooh in a ghostly clash, and Lillie and Snowy face off against Gladion and Umbreon. Lillie’s skills are impressive, but Gladion still pulls off the win. On to the next round!
While his friends offer him support, Sophocles nervously waits for his match against Mina to start. Following Ash's suggestion, Sophocles settles down after taking some deep breaths. Lillie asks her older brother Gladion to not hold back during their match, declaring that she wants to demonstrate Snowy's full power, and Gladion agrees. Meanwhile, Jessie imagines her Manalo Conference victory speech while James dozes off, much to her displeasure.
Once Sophocles's match begins, his Vikavolt pursues Mina's Ribombee through the sky. Vikavolt uses Zap Cannon, but Ribombee easily dodges it. After a quick dive and change of direction, Ribombee throws a series of Pollen Puffs and strikes Vikavolt several times. After the bombardment, Ribombee tosses Vikavolt into the battlefield with Psychic. Vikavolt quickly recovers and uses another Zap Cannon, but Ribombee again dodges it. In its moment of disorientation, Vikavolt zips behind and grabs a hold of Ribombee with its mandibles. With its opponent immobilized, Vikavolt defeats it with a close-range Signal Beam. Nanu makes the official ruling and declares Sophocles the winner.
Jessie and James's match begins, with them going by "Jessina" and "Jamesio", respectively. Once Nanu signals for the sixth match to begin, James's Mareanie uses Spike Cannon, but Wobbuffet deflects the move. James orders Mareanie to use Sludge Bomb, but Wobbuffet simply reflects the attack back with Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet's defenses continue to prevent any damage from being inflicted on it, and the battle goes nowhere. James realizes that the match will continue on indefinitely like this, so he whispers to Mareanie to pretend to be incapacitated. However, when Mareanie turns to him, James looks into her eyes and realizes that she wants to battle properly for him. He then decides to take the battle just as seriously and orders Mareanie to use Spike Cannon. Wobbuffet manages to use Counter in time, but Mareanie's continued onslaught of attacks eventually causes the defensive barrier to weaken. In a massive explosion, Wobbuffet is thrown into the air and knocked out, giving James the win, much to Jessie's dismay.
Next, Kiawe and Acerola call out their Pokémon, Marowak and Rapooh, respectively. Acerola orders Rapooh to use Shadow Ball, though the attack is destroyed by Marowak's Bonemerang. Rapooh then uses Shadow Punch, but Marowak manages to block it with Shadow Bone. Rapooh retaliates with another Shadow Punch, which strikes Marowak, who is then immobilized by Rapooh's Cursed Body Ability. Acerola orders Rapooh to use Thief, and it promptly steals Marowak's bone club, instantly limiting Marowak's move-set. Rapooh takes the opportunity to lash Marowak with a Shadow Ball-Shadow Punch combination. As Rapooh readies another Shadow Punch, Marowak is freed from Cursed Body and slams into its opponent with Iron Head. The impact winds Rapooh, who then absorbs Marowak into its body. However, Marowak emerges from Rapooh's body with its bone club in hand. Acerola orders another Shadow Ball, but Marowak retaliates, batting the Shadow Ball back at Rapooh before striking it with Shadow Bone, defeating it and allowing Kiawe to advance to the next round.
Caster announces the next battle between Gladion and Lillie. Lillie has Snowy summon Hail, instantly changing the battle conditions to suit Snowy's Ice type. Gladion quickly orders Umbreon to attack with Dark Pulse, though Snowy is uninjured as she hides amongst the growing frost. Gladion is mildly impressed by Snowy's Snow Cloak Ability, admitting that Lillie is growing as a Trainer. He orders Umbreon to use Shadow Ball, which smashes through Snowy's Aurora Veil and strikes its target. As the Hail conditions fade, Lillie decides to use her Z-Move, and Snowy successfully lashes Umbreon with Subzero Slammer. Umbreon, however, is mostly unscathed and knocks Snowy out with a super-effective Iron Tail. As Lillie comforts Snowy in her arms, Hapu declares Gladion is the winner. Despite the outcome, Lusamine expresses pride in her children, admitting that she wished her husband Mohn could be there to watch.
That night, the next match-ups are revealed on the Pokémon Center screen: Gladion and Jamesio, Ash and Hau, Kiawe and Sophocles, and Guzma and Lana. Hau is particularly excited by his match-up, with his Decidueye and Ash's Rowlet exchanging a series of fighting words. Then, Rowlet flies out of the Pokémon Center to call for its family. It notices a wild Wingull passing by and promptly orders it to deliver the message.
- Sophocles defeats Mina, advancing to the second round.
- James defeats Jessie, advancing to the second round.
- Acerola is revealed to have caught the Greedy Rapooh.
- Kiawe defeats Acerola, advancing to the second round.
- Snowy is revealed to have Snow Cloak as its Ability.
- Gladion defeats Lillie, advancing to the second round.
- The match-ups of the second round are revealed to be:
- Rowlet asks a Wingull to bring its foster family to the Manalo Stadium.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the history page.
- Nurse Joy
- Professor Kukui
- Professor Burnet
- Guzma (TV screen)
- Caster (voice only)
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Rotom (Rotom Pokédex)
- Rowlet (Ash's)
- Lycanroc (Ash's; Dusk Form)
- Torracat (Ash's)
- Meltan (Ash's)
- Primarina (Lana's)
- Eevee (Lana's; Sandy)
- Turtonator (Kiawe's)
- Marowak (Kiawe's; Alolan Form)
- Vulpix (Lillie's; Alolan Form; Snowy)
- Togedemaru (Sophocles's)
- Vikavolt (Sophocles's)
- Tsareena (Mallow's)
- Mimikyu (Jessie's)
- Mareanie (James's)
- Blissey (Nurse Joy's)
- Umbreon (Gladion's)
- Mimikyu (Acerola's; Shiny; Mimikins)
- Gengar (Acerola's; Greedy Rapooh)
- Ribombee (Mina's)
- Decidueye (Hau's)
- Trapinch (Trainer's)
- Sandile (Trainer's)
- Bewear (anime)
- Stufful (anime)
- Shaymin (anime)
- Wingull (anime)
- Poké Problem: The Pokémon that Gladion sends out in today's episode is...?
- The episode title, in both Japanese and English, is a reference to Team Rocket's motto.
- This episode marks the first time Jessie and James have faced each other in an official battle.
- Despite it having existed in the games since Generation II, this is the first time any Pokémon has used Thief in the anime.
- Felix Mendelssohn's musical piece Wedding March is used during the ending of Jessie and James's battle.
- Lillie, Sophocles, Rowlet, Ash, Mallow, Kiawe, Lana, and Rotom narrate the preview for the next episode.
- In the English dub, Nanu incorrectly says the match between Jessie and James is in the semifinal round instead of the first round.
- Rapooh's Cursed Body immobilizes Marowak after Rapooh hits it with Shadow Punch. This is not how said Ability works in the games; it can only activate after its user has been hit by an opponent with a move that makes contact, at which point said move becomes temporarily disabled.
- Vikavolt's Zap Cannon is incorrectly referred to as Thunder Wave in the English dub. This is corrected in the Netflix release of the English dub.
- In the dub, an arranged version of Wedding March is used, but only the first 20 seconds of it are played.
- The Japanese text depicting Subzero Slammer's name is edited out in the English dub.
In other languages
|Danish||Sandhedens Og Kærlighedens Kampplads!|
|Dutch||Het strijdveld van waarheid en liefde!|
|Finnish||Totuuden ja rakkauden ottelukenttä!|
|German||Das Kampffeld der Wahrheit und Liebe!|
|Hebrew||!להילחם ביבשה, באוויר ובמים|
|Italian||Il campolotta della verità e dell'amore!|
|Korean||로사 VS 로이! 사랑과 진실의 배틀필드!!|
|Polish||Walka o prawdę i miłość!|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Batalhando por verdade e amor!|
|Russian||Битва любви и истины!|
|Latin American Spanish||¡El campo de batalla del amor y la verdad!|
|Turkish||Gerçeklik ve sevginin maç sahası!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|