|Launched||August 29, 1997 (DVD rental) |
January 2007 (video on demand)
|Service provided||Video on demand service|
|Accessible by||Web, Mobile, Smart TV, Consoles etc|
Netflix is an Internet-based on-demand streaming service. The service has episodes and television movies without television network logos or advertisements. As of March 2022, Netflix is available worldwide except in Mainland China, Crimea, North Korea, Russia, and Syria.
As of January 2022, Netflix requires a monthly subscription fee starting at US$9.99/
Availability of the Pokémon anime
The Pokémon anime is available on Netflix in most countries worldwide, with the availability of episodes and movies varying by location:
|United States and international||South Asia and Mongolia||Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan||South Korea||Japan|
|Pokémon the Series: Indigo League||S01||✔||✘||✘||✘||✘|
|Pokémon the Series: XY||S17, S18, S19||✘||✘||✔[note 1]||✔||✘|
|Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon||S20, S21, S22||✘||✘||✔[note 1]||✔||✘|
|Pokémon Journeys: The Series||S23||✔[note 2]||✘||✘||✘||✘|
|Pokémon Journeys: The Series||S23, S24, S25||✘||✘||✔[note 1]||✔||✔|
|Pokémon Master Journeys: The Series||S24||✔[note 3]||✘||✘||✘||✘|
|Pokémon Ultimate Journeys: The Series||S25||✔[note 4]||✘||✘||✘||✘|
|Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You!||M20||✘||✘||✘||✔||✘|
|Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us||M21||✘||✘||✘||✔||✘|
|Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution||M22||✔[note 5]||✔[note 5]||✔[note 5]||✘||✘|
|Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution||✘||✘||✘||✔||✔|
|Pokémon the Movie: Secrets of the Jungle||M23||✔[note 5]||✔||✔||✔||✘|
|Pokémon: The Arceus Chronicles||The Arceus Chronicles||✔[note 5]||✘||✘||✔||✘|
|Pokémon Detective Pikachu||Detective Pikachu||✔[note 6]||✘||✘||✘||✔|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Excluding Netflix Laos and Timor-Leste
- ↑ Branded as a Netflix Original on Netflix American Samoa, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Guam, Iceland, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Puerto Rico, Sweden, U.S. Outlying Islands, United States, and U.S. Virgin Islands
- ↑ Branded as a Netflix Original on Netflix American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Caribbean Netherlands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Finland, French Guiana, Georgia, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Iceland, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Moldova, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Russia, Sint Maarten, St. Barthélemy, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Martin, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Tajikistan, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkmenistan, Turks & Caicos Islands, U.S. Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, and Venezuela
- ↑ Available on Netflix American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, U.S. Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, and United States and branded as a Netflix Original on Netflix American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Caribbean Netherlands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Finland, French Guiana, Georgia, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Iceland, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Moldova, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Puerto Rico, Russia, Sint Maarten, St. Barthélemy, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Martin, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Tajikistan, Trinidad & Tobago, Türkiye, Turkmenistan, Turks & Caicos Islands, U.S. Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, and Venezuela
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Branded as a Netflix Original
- ↑ Available on Netflix Andorra, Austria, Belgium, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Germany, Guadeloupe, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, New Caledonia, Réunion, St. Barthélemy, St. Martin, St. Pierre & Miquelon, Switzerland, Türkiye, and Wallis & Futuna
The anime has been available in the United States on Netflix since March 1, 2014 with Pokémon: Indigo League, Pokémon: Black & White, and White—Victini and Zekrom and Black—Victini and Reshiram. On June 1, Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands, Pokémon BW: Rival Destinies and Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice were also made available. The following year, Pokémon BW: Adventures in Unova and Beyond and Genesect and the Legend Awakened were added on March 15.
On February 15, 2016, Pokémon the Series: XY and Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction were added to the service. However, one day later, the Pokémon the Series: Black & White episodes and movies were removed, as well as Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands. Pokémon the Series: XY Kalos Quest was added on June 1, 2016 along with its corresponding movie, Hoopa and the Clash of Ages. Pokémon the Series: XYZ became available for streaming on April 1, 2017. Pokémon: Happy Birthday to You! was added on September 14, 2017.
Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon was added on April 1, 2018. I Choose You! was added on January 1, 2019. On April 1, 2019, Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon—Ultra Adventures was added, and the Pokémon the Series: XY episodes, Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction, and Hoopa and the Clash of Ages were removed. Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel was removed on July 4, 2019. The Power of Us was added on January 1, 2020. Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution debuted worldwide outside of Japan and South Korea on the service on February 27, 2020 as part of Pokémon Day. Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon—Ultra Legends was added to the service on April 1, 2020. On April 1, 2022, the Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon episodes, I Choose You!, and The Power of Us were removed.
On April 23, 2020, it was announced that upcoming seasons of the anime would premiere exclusively on Netflix in the United States. This started with Pokémon Journeys: The Series, which debuted later that year on June 12, with episodes released in batches every quarter through March 5, 2021. The season was later released in batches in Asia beginning on November 21, 2020, released in batches in the Nordics beginning on January 1, 2021, and was added in its entirety outside of Asia on July 1, 2021. Pokémon Master Journeys: The Series was added in the United States in batches from September 10, 2021 to May 26, 2022. The season was later added in its entirety outside of Asia on September 2, 2022. Pokémon: Happy Birthday to You! was removed on September 14, 2021. Secrets of the Jungle debuted worldwide outside of Japan and South Korea on the service on October 8, 2021. Pokémon: The Arceus Chronicles was released worldwide outside of Asia on September 23, 2022. Pokémon Ultimate Journeys: The Series will be added in the United States beginning on October 21, 2022.
English audio/closed captioning are available for the Pokémon anime and movies in all countries except Japan. The availability of other languages differ per country or region. The following languages are available in at least one country or region: Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, European Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
Banned episodes and seasons
Since Netflix uses the English dub and dubs based on the English dub, EP035 and EP038 are not included. Even though the banned episode Beauty and the Beach was dubbed in English, the episode was excluded on Netflix. When Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands was still available on Netflix Holiday Hi-Jynx, Stage Fight!, and The Mandarin Island Miss Match were excluded too. This is not specific to Netflix as all these episodes are no longer mentioned on Pokemon.com and excluded from Pokémon TV and newer DVD releases.
SM064 is the latest in banned episodes as Ash dresses up as a Passimian, who happens to have a dark colored face and is a chimp. Due to perceived racial connotations, this episode from Sun and Moon - Ultra Adventures was never aired outside of Japan.
The seasons are based on the season broadcasts in the dub. For example, Pokémon: Indigo League was split up into two seasons. The Indigo League episodes had the 1998 commercial bumpers where Brock says "We'll be back after these messages," and then after the advertisement when he says "And now, back to our show." However, due to Netflix not having advertisements during streaming, these bumpers served no purpose. The bumpers have since been removed from Netflix.
- The closed captioning misspells "Teach Pokémon to understand" in Pokémon Theme as "EACH POKÉMON TO UNDERSTAND" as does the closed captioning for other releases and the official lyrics.
- When the title cards are displayed for Indigo League, the text isn't repeated on the closed captioning.
- The Latin American captions for the title cards read "[narrator] Hoy presentamos: [episode title]" for season 1, unlike the English captioning.
- The Japanese version has the edited version of Holiday Hi-Jynx, like Prime Video but unlike Hulu.
- The Japanese version has English descriptions for all episodes including for never dubbed episodes like EP035 and the not yet dubbed episodes of Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon.
- The American Netflix often spelled "macarons" as "macaroons" in its closed captioning.
- The Japanese version of Netflix does not feature a next episode preview for episodes streamed after the episode nor does it feature a Japanese episode gag, such as the Poké Problem for Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon.
- Netflix on Wikipedia
- Official website
- Pokémon (full playlist) on Netflix, only viewable on a Kids profile
- ↑ Netflix to Deliver Movies to the PC - New York Times (retrieved May 17, 2020)
- ↑ Where is Netflix available? - Netflix Help Center
- ↑ Plans and Pricing - Netflix Help Center
- ↑ Pokémon Is Coming To Netflix - Time
- ↑ Movies and TV Shows Leaving Netflix in February 2016 - The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ Pokémon the Series: XYZ and XY is leaving Netflix - What's on Netflix
- ↑ Pokémon Movies and Shows Leaving Netflix in April 2022 - What's on Netflix
- ↑ Netflix and The Pokémon Company International Team Up for U.S. Premiere of Pokémon Journeys: The Series - About Netflix
- ↑ End November lookin real good for anime fans - Netflix Singapore - Instagram
- ↑ What's Coming to Netflix UK in July 2021 - What's on Netflix
|This article is part of Project Mass Media, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on official Pokémon publishing, broadcasting, communications, and other media.|