| A Festival Trade! A Festival Farewell?
The Pumpjin Festival! Farewell, Bakeccha!?
|| July 23, 2015
| United States
|| September 20, 2015*|
September 26, 2015*
|| Team Kato
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 樋口香里 Kaori Higuchi
| Assistant director
|| 前園文夫 Fumio Maezono
| Animation director
|| 松田芳明 Yoshiaki Matsuda
| No additional credits are available at this time.
A Festival Trade! A Festival Farewell? (Japanese: パンプジンフェスティバル！さよならバケッチャ！？ The Pumpjin Festival! Farewell, Bakeccha!?) is the 82nd episode of Pokémon the Series: XY, and the 881st episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on July 23, 2015, in Canada on September 19, 2015, and in the United States on September 26, 2015.
On their journey, Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie come across a Gourgeist Festival, where everyone dresses in Pokémon costumes. Naturally, our heroes want to join the fun!
Meanwhile, Team Rocket, also in costume, gets an invitation to the castle from Count Pumpka. His Prince Pumpkaboo has developed quite an interest in Jessie’s Pumpkaboo. Jessie seizes the opportunity and tells the count that some terrible villains have stolen her Pikachu—namely, our heroes! She suggests that she might trade her Pumpkaboo to the count if he helps rescue Pikachu.
The count’s steward confronts Ash and the others, demanding that they return Pikachu to its rightful Trainer—but because Pikachu is wearing a Psyduck costume and Chespin is dressed as Pikachu, he ends up grabbing Chespin by mistake!
Back at the castle, Jessie reluctantly agrees to the trade. But when the trade is complete, Jessie’s Pumpkaboo evolves into a Gourgeist, and suddenly Prince Pumpkaboo isn’t interested anymore! Jessie gets her Gourgeist back, Team Rocket is revealed and promptly sent blasting off again, Chespin and Clemont are reunited, and all’s well that ends well!
Arriving in a new town, Ash and his friends spot two children run by, dressed as Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist. Upon reaching the Pokémon Center, they are surprised to see Nurse Joy and Wigglytuff dressed as each other. Nurse Joy explains that the town is celebrating its Gourgeist Festival, where people and Pokémon wear costumes for fun. The gang decide to join in the festivities, with Serena making costumes for everyone. Elsewhere, Team Rocket have also put on costumes, remarking that the festival is a perfect opportunity to steal Pikachu since they guessed the twerps couldn't resist participating. Far away, a short, squat man and his Pumpkaboo observe Jessie's Pumpkaboo to their delight. The man orders his steward to have Team Rocket's group brought to him immediately.
As they walk about, Ash and company learn from the two children they saw earlier that in addition to dressing up, trading treats is a part of the festival as well. Serena trades some of her homemade treats for the children's candy, and the group resolves to do as much trading as possible. Meanwhile, before they can commence their plan to catch Pikachu, Team Rocket finds themselves cornered in an alleyway by three Gourgeist. The steward from earlier, revealing to own them, has the Gourgeist stand down and apologizes, extending his master's invitation to them for a sumptuous dinner. Team Rocket decide to accept the offer and catch Pikachu later.
In the man's castle atop a hill, he introduces himself as Count Pumpka, and reveals the reason why he invited Team Rocket: his Prince Pumpkaboo fell in love with Jessie's Pumpkaboo, who he refers to as a very rare specimen. James confirms that Pumpkaboo come in different varieties of size, and Jessie's Pumpkaboo is a female of the Super Size variety, which Jessie apparently was never aware of. Jessie decides to use the situation to her own benefit by telling Count Pumpka that Pumpkaboo is being pursued by Ash's group, who previously stole Pikachu, and asks Count Pumpka to apprehend them and retrieve Pikachu. Surprised, Count Pumpka agrees and sends his steward away. In the streets, Ash's group encounters the steward who demands Pikachu, sending out his Gourgeist to attack when Ash doesn't know what the steward is talking about. Pikachu, Pancham and Bunnelby put up a good fight, but are soon knocked over. Under the guise of a smokescreen from Gourgeist's Leech Seed, the steward leaves with Pikachu. To the gang's shock, Pikachu has been left behind - but Chespin, who had a Pikachu costume on, has gone missing.
Back in the castle, Team Rocket is pleased that Pikachu has been caught and presented, not realizing that it's actually Chespin. Count Pumpka states that since he met Jessie's demands, it's now time for her to hold up her end of the bargain: he wants Jessie to trade Pumpkaboo to him so the two Pumpkaboo can marry! Jessie is stunned, quickly indicating her reluctance to trade Pumpkaboo away since they have a great bond together. At this point Ash and company show up to demand Chespin, having found Team Rocket via Fletchinder, but Count Pumpka traps them in an electrified cage after they defeat his steward's Gourgeist. Count Pumpka offers a Mawile to Jessie in trade, reminding Jessie that Mawile is one of the few Pokémon who can undergo Mega Evolution; excited by the idea of owning a Mega Mawile, Jessie agrees to the trade. Pumpkaboo is outraged since Jessie had said so many great things about their relationship only moments ago, and floats over to the enamored Pumpkaboo. James and Meowth are bemused at the display of affection between the two females. Silently, Jessie trades Pumpkaboo away via a trade machine Count Pumpka arranged for, while Clemont attempts to disable the electrified cage.
Happily, Count Pumpka releases his new Pumpkaboo, but Pumpkaboo instantly evolves into Gourgeist, shocking Jessie. Count Pumpka remarks the exchange must have triggered Gourgeist's evolution, but to his dismay his own Prince Pumpkaboo is intimidated by the new Super Size Gourgeist and indicates his displeasure. Jessie is infuriated by this, going into a trade about how Gourgeist cared for her during her times of illness and loneliness. Both Trainer and Pokémon embrace each other in tears, apologizing to each other, and Jessie demands that Gourgeist be traded back since Count Pumpka no longer has any reason to keep her. Disappointed, Count Pumpka agrees, and Gourgeist is traded back to Jessie, much to her and Gourgeist's delight.
Team Rocket prepares to leave, but Clemont tells them that he wants Chespin back, but Jessie tells him that Chespin is theirs now. As Bonnie identifies Inkay as a fake Pikachu, she manages to pull off Meowth's Banette costume. Exposed, Team Rocket pull off their disguises. Clemont identifies Team Rocket as the actual criminals, much to Count Pumpka and his steward's horror. Jessie sends Gourgeist into battle. She uses Shadow Ball and Leech Seed but Pikachu manages to dodge the first attack and deflect the second one with Iron Tail. After Bunnelby dodges Inkay's Psybeam, it uses Double Slap to send it flying and release Chespin from its cage, and Clemont reunites with his Pokémon. Braixen and Pikachu send Team Rocket blasting off with a combined attack of Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, though Jessie is still happy to be reunited with her beloved Gourgeist, while James and Meowth are relieved that their friends are happy.
Count Pumpka apologizes to Ash's group for the trouble he inadvertently caused, inviting them as guests. On the castle balcony, Ash and friends are served with soup in pumpkin bowls, with Gourgeist's face cut into them. As they eat, a fireworks display is held, which Count Pumpka explains is a tradition to end the festival. The episode ends with the group admiring the fireworks.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
TV episode debuts
The title card segment focuses on Team Rocket for this episode
- In the Japanese version, the title card segment focuses on, and is read by, Team Rocket.
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Holo Caster: Skiddo
- The English dub was released on iTunes and Prime Video on September 20, 2015, six days before the episode aired in the United States. The same occurred for all of the episodes featured in Volume 3 of Pokémon the Series: XY Kalos Quest that aired after Mega Evolution Special III, consisting of A Not-So-Flying Start! to A Festival Trade! A Festival Farewell?.
- This episode marks the first time one of Team Rocket's Pokémon has evolved since The Thief That Keeps on Thieving!, 335 episodes earlier.
- This episode marks the second time a main character trades a Pokémon for another one, but later trades it back. The first time was in Battle Aboard the St. Anne, 866 episodes earlier.
- After Prince Pumpkaboo reveals he no longer loves Jessie's Gourgeist after her evolution, Meowth sympathizes with him, alluding a previous crush he had in For The Love of Meowth!.
- James is initially unable to recognize Gourgeist, despite having dressed himself up as one.
- This episode confirms that Jessie's Pumpkaboo (and later, Gourgeist) is female and Super Size.
- The regular Japanese opening sequence was replaced with clips from Hoopa and the Clash of Ages. They appear after the beginning sequence of Ash and his friends' preparations of the journey.
- The cosplays seen in this episode include:
- In the English dub, the title card had an exclamation mark rather than a question mark after "farewell".
- When Count Pumpka's steward activates the trap gate and trapped Ash and his friends, Pikachu's Psyduck beak is colored white instead of beige.
- During the flashback of Jessie receiving a cake from her Pumpkaboo, her boots were colored the same as her skin.
- In the English dub, when Jessie orders Gourgeist to use Leech Seed, it cries in the voice of Pumpkaboo instead of Gourgeist.
- When Serena orders Braixen to use Flamethrower to blast off Team Rocket, Braixen was already executing the move before Serena could finish calling out the attack.
Pikachu's Psyduck beak error
- The title card segment is read by Ash, his friends, and Jessie instead of Team Rocket.
- This is the first time in Pokémon the Series: XY that a differing arrangement of characters reads the title card in the English dub, compared to the original.
In other languages