|Reuniting for the First Time!
Reuniting for the First Time! (Japanese: イーブイとニンフィア！出会いと再会！！ Eievui and Nymphia! Encounters and Reunions!!) is the 105th episode of Pokémon Journeys: The Series, and the 1,190th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on April 8, 2022, in Canada on September 17, 2022, in Australia on October 5, 2022, and in the United States on February 24, 2023.
Chloe heads to Lilycove City to meet up with Ash and Goh and watch a Sylveon compete in a Pokémon Contest. There, she’s approached by Contest Idol Lisia, who encourages her to enter. She then runs into Serena, Sylveon’s Trainer and Ash’s former traveling companion, and the two go to the Contest Hall. Meanwhile, Ash and Goh get delayed because Gym Leader Wallace insists on battling Ash! Chloe, Serena, and Lisia all give amazing performances with their Pokémon, and as Serena bids Chloe goodbye, Ash and Goh finally arrive. Although their reunion is short, Ash and Serena promise to keep cheering each other on as they pursue their goals!
A conversation between Chloe and Chrysa leads to Chrysa mentioning that her friend Kiley, the Vaporeon Trainer whom Chloe met a while back, has told her that a Sylveon and its Trainer are garnering attention around his home at Lilycove City in Hoenn, thanks to their success in Pokémon Contests. Since Sylveon is the last one of Eevee's evolutions that Chloe has yet to meet, she happily decides to go see it. Professor Cerise enters the conversation and tells Chloe that Ash and Goh are also on their way to Lilycove, as Goh is eager to catch himself an Altaria, inspired to do so after seeing the Altaria that Ash recently battled against. Chloe happily agrees to join up with them, and heads to Lilycove City right away.
Arriving in Lilycove, Chloe decides to visit the local Contest Hall, where she finds loads of people gathering around Contest Idol Lisia, who is preparing to do one of her usual Contest scouts to seek out a person and introduce them to Contesting. Her eyes soon land on Chloe, and after she learns that Chloe has never been in a Contest before, Lisia declares her as the one she'll be scouting today. Ash and Goh, right as Goh's attempt to catch an Altaria ends in failure, are surprised to see Chloe on TV, witnessing how Lisia hands her a Contest Pass and a Pokéblock Case and encourages her to participate in a Contest Spectacular before leaving, ignoring Chloe's uncertainty about the sudden request.
Chloe's Eevee senses something, leading her Trainer to the Sylveon she had heard of. Sylveon's Trainer, Serena, recognizes Chloe from Lisia's TV broadcast. Chloe is left embarrassed by this, but she's nevertheless happy to have found the Sylveon she came to meet, eager to let her Eevee see Sylveon perform. She explains to Serena that she's letting her Eevee choose what she wants to evolve into, instead of making the choice herself as her Trainer. Serena likes the idea, but also points out that while it might sound easy, it's actually very difficult. Using her Sylveon as an example, she mentions how she first met her as a dancing Eevee and invited her to join her. As they traveled together, their hearts bonded, eventually resulting in Eevee evolving into Sylveon. Chloe's Eevee, though, hasn't decided what she wants to evolve into yet, and likewise, Chloe herself hasn't yet really chosen a path for herself, so she asks what got Serena into Contests. To Chloe's surprise, Serena sees Chloe's uncertainty similar to her own indecisiveness early on in her journey, when she too was struggling to find a path for herself. But then she had found out about Pokémon Performers, and decided to become one herself to give strength to other people.
Chloe's Rotom Phone starts ringing with an incoming call from Goh, who tells her that he and Ash will be heading to the Contest Hall to watch the Contest she'll be participating in. Chloe agrees to meet them there, but as the call ends, she expresses her uncertainty at participating. Serena says that she should keep moving, despite her hesitation, as even failing is better than no experience at all. Serena's speech motivates Chloe into giving it a try, and Serena agrees to help her in her preparations.
Meanwhile, Ash and Goh are running towards the Contest Hall. Before they can reach it, however, they're called to stop by Wallace. Ash, however, fails to recognize him and tries to move on, but Wallace stops him again, reminding him of the time when his friends May and Dawn participated in his eponymous Wallace Cup, finally making Ash remember him. He and Goh try to move on again, but Wallace stops them once more. He reveals that he's been following Ash's progress in the World Coronation Series, and while he's not competing in it himself, he wants to battle Ash here and now. He boasts that he can hold his own against Hoenn's Champion, whom Ash immediately remembers to be Steven Stone. Wallace is irritated that Ash remembered Steven right away while struggling to remember him, but still keeps his cool. Ash, impressed by Wallace's revelation, happily accepts his challenge, much to Goh's exasperation.
At the Contest Hall, Serena helps Chloe pick herself a Contest Costume and gives her Eevee an ear decoration. The Contest Spectacular kicks off while Ash and Wallace's battle is underway, forcing Goh to watch the performances from his Rotom Phone. Watching the other Coordinators perform, Chloe grows nervous, but Serena encourages her to trust in Eevee, revealing that her Sylveon was also nervous when she made her debut on stage. Come her turn, Chloe enters the stage, and while nervous at first, she thinks back to all of her meetings with Eevee's evolutions, and musters her courage to perform. She has Eevee use Fairy Wind, mimicked from Serena's Sylveon, before using Tackle on the wind. At the Cerise Laboratory, Professor Cerise is surprised to see Chloe performing in a Contest, and ends up falling on his knees in relief when Chloe's performance is successful. With Ash and Wallace's battle, both sides recall their current Pokémon, but just when Goh thinks the match is over, the two send out a new pair of Pokémon, causing Goh to sink back into his exasperated state.
With the Normal Rank performances completed, the Contest Spectacular moves on into the Master Rank, with Serena being the first one to perform. Her team of Delphox, Pancham, and Sylveon puts up a beautiful display of move combinations, making the audience cheer loudly for her and leaving Chloe awestruck. Following Serena, Lisia enters the stage as the final competitor, and the audience goes wild at seeing the region's top idol in front of them. Lisia has her Altaria, Ali, envelop the stage in a beautiful Mist before Mega Evolving her partner and having it use Draco Meteor. Meanwhile, Ash's Pikachu defeats Wallace's Milotic, concluding the battle. Goh tries to make them leave now that the match is over, but first, Wallace rewards Ash with a Rain Badge and his scarf, before launching into a long congratulatory speech, during which the Contest Spectacular's results are announced, revealing that Serena and Lisia have tied for first place. Just as Wallace concludes his speech, Goh spots the Altaria he failed to catch before and runs after it.
At sunset, as Chloe prepares to board a boat back to Kanto, Serena gives Eevee her Sylveon's ear decoration. Chloe thanks Serena for being there to push her forward, which Serena says is what her former traveling companion used to do as well, so now it's her turn to do it. Chloe asks what Serena plans to do next, and she reveals that Lisia had just asked if she'd like to form an idol duo with her. Serena is hesitant, but Chloe reminds her of what she had told her about hesitation earlier, and the two girls laugh together. Just as Chloe boards her boat, Ash and Goh catch up with her, with Ash telling about his battle with Wallace and Goh revealing that he managed to catch himself an Altaria. At first, they fail to notice Serena, but when she calls out to Ash, they turn around and see her, with Ash being happy to see the friend he used to travel with again. However, the reunion is cut short when the boat starts moving. Ash calls out to Serena that he's aiming to become the world's strongest Trainer in the World Coronation Series, while Serena reaffirms her goal to become the world's greatest Performer. Serena smiles as she watches the boat sailing towards the setting sun, before turning around and running off with Sylveon.
- Ash, Goh, and Chloe visit Hoenn again.
- Chloe receives a Hoenn Contest Pass and a Pokéblock Case from Lisia.
- Serena meets Chloe for the first time.
- Ash meets Wallace again and reunites with Serena, while Goh meets them for the first time.
- Serena's Braixen is revealed to have evolved into Delphox and learned Mystical Fire.
- Serena's Sylveon is revealed to have learned Quick Attack.
- Serena's Pancham is revealed to have learned Ice Punch.
- Ash has a battle with Wallace and wins, receiving his second Rain Badge from him as a reward.
- Chloe enters the Lilycove City Normal Rank Pokémon Contest Spectacular.
- Serena enters the Lilycove City Master Rank Pokémon Contest Spectacular and ties for first place with Lisia.
- Goh catches an Altaria.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- May (flashback)
- Dawn (flashback)
- Bonnie (flashback)
- Steven Stone (fantasy)
- Professor Cerise
- Kiley (flashback)
- Soleil (flashback)
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Dedenne (Clemont's; flashback)
- Dragonite (Ash's)
- Dracovish (Ash's)
- Braixen (Serena's; flashback)
- Delphox (Serena's)
- Pancham (Serena's)
- Eevee (Serena's; flashback)
- Sylveon (Serena's)
- Grookey (Goh's)
- Altaria (Goh's; new)
- Eevee (Chloe's)
- Yamper (Professor Cerise's)
- Rotom (Professor Cerise's; Rotom Phone; ×2)
- Leafeon (Erika's; flashback)
- Milotic (Wallace's)
- Swampert (Wallace's)
- Walrein (Wallace's)
- Altaria (Lisia's; Ali; Mega Altaria)
- Vaporeon (Kiley's; flashback)
- Umbreon (Soleil's; flashback)
- Espeon (Soleil's; flashback)
- Glaceon (Regina's; Mirche; flashback)
- Jolteon (Harmony's; Bernice; flashback)
- Flareon (Billy's; Toril; flashback)
- Spheal (Coordinator's)
- Breloom (Coordinator's)
- Sableye (Trainer's)
- Makuhita (Trainer's)
- Get Inspired! Let's Solve a Poké Riddle!!: Sylveon
- This episode marks the first physical appearance of Wallace in the anime since Strategy with a Smile!, 645 episodes earlier. This is also his only appearance in Pokémon Journeys: The Series, as well as his final appearance in the anime.
- This episode also marks the first appearance of Serena in the main series since Till We Compete Again!, 251 episodes earlier.
- This episode features the following flashbacks, which have all been reanimated to match the style introduced in Pokémon Journeys: The Series:
- Serena's Eevee's debut in A Frolicking Find in the Flowers!.
- Serena's Eevee's Showcase debut in A Dancing Debut!.
- Serena's Eevee's evolution in Party Dancecapades!.
- Serena quotes Ash from Performing a Pathway to the Future! and The First Day of the Rest of Your Life! in this episode, as well as Aria from Battling with Elegance and a Big Smile!.
- As of this episode, Chloe and Eevee have met every Eeveelution since Chloe became a Trainer.
- The episode's main location, Lilycove City, is the same city where Chloe first encountered an Eeveelution in On Land, In the Sea, and to the Future!.
- This episode marks the first time a Contest has occurred in a repeat location in the anime.
- This is the first episode featuring an official Pokémon Contest in which Raoul Contesta and Mr. Sukizo don’t appear.
- When Lisia is scouting Trainers for the Pokémon Contest Spectacular, many of her lines are directly taken from her game counterpart in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. A few of Wallace's lines before his battle with Ash and following his defeat by him are similarly taken from his game counterpart's post-battle dialogue in Pokémon Emerald, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire.
- Chloe's Contest Costume is the same as the one May wears in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Serena also tells Chloe that the costume was previously worn by the Princess of Hoenn, which could be a reference to May, as Dawn called May by this title in Our Cup Runneth Over!. May would later be seen in this outfit as well in Partners in Time!.
- As of this episode, Ash has battled and defeated every Hoenn Gym Leader.
- As of this episode, at least one Gym Leader from every core series generation up to Generation VIII has appeared in Pokemon Journeys: The Series.
- Wallace using a Swampert and a Walrein could be a reference to Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, where he uses them during the Pokémon World Tournament.
- This episode marks the first time Ash has received a Badge he already owns.
- This is also the first time he has received an official Gym Badge since A Real Icebreaker!, 269 episodes earlier.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a number of Pokémon species in the main series after long absences:
- Walrein, who last appeared in A Hurdle for Squirtle, 772 episodes earlier.
- Delphox, who last appeared in Performing a Pathway to the Future!, 278 episodes earlier.
- Breloom, who last appeared in Kalos League Passion with a Certain Flare!, 262 episodes earlier.
- This episode marks the first time Serena's Pancham is seen using a new move since his debut, 344 episodes earlier.
- This is the first episode where the opening animation is not updated since the fourth version of One, Two, Three debuted.
- Shinji Miyazaki's music from Pokémon the Series: XY is reused as background music in this episode.
- Chloe, Ash, and Goh read the title card for this episode.
- Jessie, James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet narrate the preview for the next episode.
- Jessie and James appear at the beginning of the preview instead of Ash and Goh, and the preview title card has a Team Rocket theme.
- In the English dub credits, Ray Chase's name is credited in "Voice Characterization" and "Additional Voices" each.
- The Japanese text depicting Lilycove City's name is edited out.
- In the Japanese version, Serena states that she intends to become the best Performer, while in the English dub, she instead states that she intends to become a Top Coordinator.
In other languages
|Dutch||Voor de eerste keer herenigd!|
|German||Wiedersehen ist doppelt schön!|
|Italian||Ritrovarsi per la prima volta!|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Reunidos pela primeira vez!|
|Latin American Spanish||¡El primer reencuentro!|
|Swedish||En återförening för första gången!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|