Each 60-card GX Starter Deck focuses on a particular Pokémon-GX and includes Pokémon associated with its type in addition to an assortment of useful Trainer cards and Energy cards. The nine GX Starter Decks available include:
- Grass Lurantis-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 草ラランテス)
- Fire Charizard-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 炎リザードン)
- Water Lapras-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 水ラプラス)
- Lightning Raichu-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 雷ライチュウ)
- Psychic Mewtwo-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 超ミュウツー)
- Fighting Lycanroc-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 闘ルガルガン)
- Darkness Yveltal-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 悪イベルタル)
- Metal Metagross-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ 鋼メタグロス)
- Fairy Xerneas-GX Deck (Japanese: GXスタートデッキ フェアリーゼルネアス)
Each deck contains a fixed selection of cards, which together form a numbered master set. Each deck also contains 25 damage counters, a pair of Special Condition markers, a GX marker, and a card detailing set-up rules with a QR code for the official Pokémon Card Game website.
The GX Starter Decks were incorporated into a number of launch campaigns offering promotional cards and other merchandise, as well as featuring in Limited format competitions at Premier Events. Together with their price at just ¥500 plus tax, the GX Starter Decks were marketed as an ideal platform for players to get into the TCG.