|All Dressed Up With Somewhere To Go!
All Dressed Up With Somewhere To Go! (Japanese: スキです！ポケモンなりきり大会！！ I Like It! Pokémon Cosplay Convention!!) is the 33rd episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 499th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on May 10, 2007 and in the United States on October 20, 2007.
What could convince our heroes to take a time-out from their journey to Eterna City? A Pokémon Dress-Up Contest where Pokémon try to imitate other Pokémon! Ash and Pikachu, Dawn and Piplup, Brock and Croagunk, even Team Rocket—they're all entering the contest in hopes of winning the Pokémon Egg prize! But will any of them be able to beat the reigning champion, a singing Chatot?
In this contest, the key is to stay in character. So when Piplup, pretending to be Weedle, gets a little too excited and uses Bubble Beam, Dawn and Piplup are knocked out of the first round. Ash and Brock make it into the second round along with Team Rocket, and James wants to win the contest fair and square. But to his dismay, dishonorable duty calls: Jessie can't resist stealing the prize Pokémon Egg, forcing Team Rocket to make a quick getaway. Together with Officer Jenny, our heroes chase after Team Rocket so quickly that Brock's Croagunk doesn’t even stop to take off its Politoed costume!
There's no doubt who’ll win this showdown, especially once Mime Jr.'s Teeter Dance hits Team Rocket instead of its target. In all the confusion, Team Rocket drops the stolen Pokémon Egg. Buneary quickly catches it, Team Rocket is sent packing, and everyone returns to the contest for the final results. After the judges tally their votes, the final winner is Brock's Croagunk, who stayed in character as Politoed even while chasing Team Rocket! Brock accepts his Pokémon Egg, leaving him and his friends to ponder two important questions. When will the Egg hatch—and just what Pokémon will it turn out to be?
Highlights from the previous year's Pokémon Dress-Up Contest are shown as Rhonda, the anchor of Sinnoh Now, points out the upcoming Contest, which is promising a mystery Pokémon Egg as a prize. The camera crew gets closer and the microphone man hits her in the face. She gets mad at first, but still being on the air, she changes her tone.
The Pokémon Dress-Up Contest opens with Rhonda, wearing a Cherrim mask, giving the opening remarks and introducing the judges: Mr. Sukizo, Officer Jenny wearing a Growlithe hat, and Nurse Joy wearing a Chansey hat. Ash and his friends watch from the stands as Dawn tells Ash about its popularity and that the goal is for a Pokémon to imitate another as closely as possible. The screen above the stage flickers on, showing a camera set up backstage with a disguised Team Rocket in the room. Jessie, dressed as a cowgirl, steps forward and proclaims her will to win with her acting abilities, but the contest is only for Pokémon. The anchor almost reveals Jessie's identity, but it shifts aside when James announces his entry with Mime Jr., which prompts Jessie to enter with Meowth.
While a commercial runs, Ash runs backstage to enter, his friends following. They all want to win the Egg, Brock wanting it more because he knows women will take a liking to that. Dawn stops the group and reminds them that they need to choose one Pokémon to enter. They release their Pokémon as Ash looks at his, envisioning Turtwig and Aipom as Bonsly. He discards it and looks at Staravia, seeing a Torchic. He is unable to decide, but Pikachu steps up to volunteer. Pikachu copies facial expressions of several Pokémon, impressing the remaining Pokémon, Buneary watching more intently. While Ash decides to go with Pikachu, Dawn goes with Piplup. Brock decides to go with Croagunk, which upsets Sudowoodo at first, but it supports Brock.
The contest starts with a Mightyena imitating a Suicune, which gets a decent grade. A Swalot tries to mimic a Grimer, but it only gets one judge. Koffing tries to look like a Togepi, but it also scores one. Weepinbell acts like a Sunkern, which gets a perfect score. A Gyarados tries to mimic a Caterpie but it only gets one. Kakuna appears as a Crawdaunt, getting a two. Doduo tries to imitate a Dodrio, but fails miserably. Brock shows Croagunk as a Politoed, Croagunk continually clapping, getting a three. Jessie shows up with Meowth as a Weavile and imitating Pokémon speech, getting a three. James and Mime Jr. shows up and demonstrate multiple personalities and imitation, getting a perfect three. The defending champion shows up with a singing Chatot, singing like a Jigglypuff and scoring perfect. Dawn shows up with Piplup as a Weedle. It goes well at first, but Piplup gets excited and uses Bubble Beam, which causes it to fail. Ash steps up with Pikachu and demonstrates the facial shape shifting, easily getting the crowd's attention and a perfect score.
Backstage, James celebrates with Mime Jr. as Jessie dresses Meowth up as a Sunflora. Meowth has a boss fantasy about Giovanni with the Egg, but Jessie wants to find out what the Egg is first. The final rounds start with Jessie, James, Brock, Ash, and the defending champion. Piplup is upset at losing but Dawn cheers it up. Brock is amazed he got into the finals with Croagunk, still clapping continually. The defending champion goes first by changing Chatot's singing to match a Lapras (but it instead la-la-la's Jigglypuff's song). Meowth points out that the Egg is unguarded and that they can steal the Egg. Jessie gets the crowd's attention and gets them to look away, but Croagunk notices Meowth taking it. James notices what they're doing and Jessie pulls him away, upsetting James at that he could not perform. The anchor notices as Croagunk brings Brock over to the stand, pointing out that the Egg is missing and Brock points to Team Rocket trying to escape. Team Rocket tries to run, but Officer Jenny sends Growlithe to block them. Team Rocket removes their disguises and they recite the motto, but James and Mime Jr. are clearly displeased. Jessie uses Seviper's Haze to cover the area, but Ash's Staravia uses Gust to clear it. They get away, but the group follows.
Team Rocket gets away in their balloon and the camera crew follows in a helicopter. Ash and his friends follow on the ground and Ash tries to have Pikachu use Thunderbolt, but Brock points out that it could destroy the Egg. Staravia rushes forward with Wing Attack, but Jessie's Dustox uses Poison Sting to suppress Staravia. Jessie orders James to do something, which James counters angrily, starting an argument. Piplup uses Bubble Beam, but Mime Jr. uses Mimic to block. Brock asks Croagunk for help, but it continues clapping. James overhears the anchor praising Mime Jr.'s power, but when Jessie snubs him, James orders Mime Jr. to use Teeter Dance, confusing Meowth and Dustox. Meowth stops flying the balloon and causes it to fly erratically and lose altitude.
Still confused, Meowth knocks the Egg out of the basket. Dawn sends Buneary to use Bounce to recover the Egg. With the path clear, Ash commands Pikachu to ruin the Boss fantasy by using Thunderbolt on the balloon to blast Team Rocket off. The scene returns to the contest with Chatot, Croagunk and Pikachu left. The judges deliberate on who should win as Croagunk continues to clap, Brock not optimistic that he will win. The spotlight converges on the trio and finally focuses on Brock, announcing him the winner, shocking everyone. Croagunk did not stray from character even during all the commotion that Team Rocket had caused, allowing him to win as he gets the Egg. Even after winning, Croagunk continues to clap as everyone applauds. The anchor concludes and the mike hits her again.
- Ash, Dawn, Brock, Jessie, and James all enter the Pokémon Dress-Up Contest.
- Brock wins the Dress-Up Contest, receiving a Pokémon Egg as a prize.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- Nurse Joy
- Officer Jenny
- Giovanni (fantasy)
- Mr. Sukizo
- Chatot Trainer
- Sinnoh Now staff
- Commercial girl
- Contest entrants
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Piplup (Dawn's)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Mime Jr. (James's)
- Aipom (Ash's)
- Staravia (Ash's)
- Turtwig (Ash's)
- Buneary (Dawn's)
- Pachirisu (Dawn's)
- Sudowoodo (Brock's)
- Croagunk (Brock's)
- Seviper (Jessie's)
- Dustox (Jessie's)
- Growlithe (Officer Jenny's)
- Palkia (shadow; fantasy; debut)
- Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Encyclopedia: Budew
- Pokémon senryū: ゆきどけの みずにめざめる スボミーよ Yukidoke no, mizu ni mezameru, Subomī yo
- The episode's English dub title comes from the saying "All dressed up with nowhere to go".
- During the first halftime eyecatch sequence, instead of the normal music, it is a continuation of the dialogue by Rhonda, who complains about being knocked down by the microphone. The microphone holder apologizes.
- Music from Pikachu's PikaBoo, Camp Pikachu, and Gotta Dance!! are used as background music.
- This is the first episode to use music from Pikachu & Pichu.
- Meowth breaks the fourth wall in the English dub. After Teeter Dance is used, Meowth exclaims "First the movie short, then TV, and now this!".
- Polka O Dolka is played when James's Mime Jr. uses Teeter Dance on Meowth and Dustox.
- Many of Pikachu's impressions (see below) also appeared in the ending of Gotta Dance!!.
- Pikachu and a transformed Ditto do similar imitations later in Dealing With a Fierce Double Ditto Drama!.
- Pokémon cosplay/impressions:
- Rhonda: Cherrim
- Nurse Joy: Chansey
- Officer Jenny: Growlithe
- Ash's Pikachu: Wobbuffet, Loudred, Cacnea, Seviper, Mudkip, Lotad, Buneary, Budew
- Ash's Turtwig and Ash's Aipom both: Bonsly (fantasy)
- Ash's Staravia: Torchic (fantasy)
- Meowth: Weavile, Sunflora
- James's Mime Jr.: Claydol, Chikorita
- Brock's Croagunk: Politoed
- Dawn's Piplup: Weedle
- Chatot: Jigglypuff, Lapras (previous champion)
- Mightyena: Suicune
- Swalot: Grimer
- Koffing: Togepi
- Meowth is dressed as a Sunflora, just like in previous episodes.
- Cherrim is the only Pokémon imitated during this episode that had yet to make its debut in the anime.
- Mr. Sukizo is the only judge who didn't cosplay as a Pokémon.
- When Team Rocket tries to run away with the stolen Egg, they can be seen very near to the tunnel. However, in the scene where they were stopped by Officer Jenny's Growlithe, they still have a few steps to reach the tunnel.
- They run for a while too before Growlithe is released.
- On its initial airings, the English dub replaced the made-up symbols that comprised the Sinnoh Now title screen with English text. However, it was left unaltered on the DVD release, and later episodes would also keep the title screen unchanged.
In other languages
|Czech||Jenom se převléknu a už jdu|
|Danish||I fuld udklædning og med håret tilbage!|
|Dutch||Gekleed voor de gelegenheid!|
|Finnish||Juhlapukeissa ja meno päällä!|
|European French||Imitations, déguisements et surprises !|
|German||Nachahmen streng erlaubt!|
|Italian||La grande gara di travestimento & Una vittoria inaspettata|
|Korean||누가누가 잘하나! 포켓몬 흉내내기 대회!|
|Polish||Konkurs Naśladowania Pokémonów|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Vestido para a Vitória!|
|Portugal||Vestidos para Brilhar!|
|Romanian||Îmbrăcați de Gală|
|Russian||Бой в маскарадных костюмах|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Todos listos y disfrazados!|
|Spain||¡Disfrazados para el Concurso Pokémon!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|