|Climbing the Walls!
Climbing the Walls! (Japanese: ショウヨウジム戦！ピカチュウ対チゴラス！！ Shōyō Gym Battle! Pikachu VS Chigoras!!) is the 25th episode of Pokémon the Series: XY, and the 824th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on April 24, 2014, in the United Kingdom on June 22, 2014, and in the United States on July 5, 2014.
Ash and friends have finally made it to Cyllage City, where they head straight for the Gym so Ash can challenge Grant for his second badge! But first, Grant has a challenge for Ash: scale a tall rock wall to reach the battlefield at the top. Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie take the elevator up, but Ash decides to meet the challenge and make the climb!
Impressed with the feat, Grant is ready to battle. He begins by bringing out his Onix, and Ash counters with Froakie. It quickly becomes apparent that all their special training has paid off, because Froakie manages to escape from Onix's frightening Rock Tomb and knock out the huge Pokémon!
Grant's next Pokémon is Tyrunt, a Rock- and Dragon-type Pokémon that defeats Froakie quickly. Ash sends out Fletchling to gain an aerial advantage, but Tyrunt turns out to have unexpected jumping skills, and it quickly brings down Ash's Pokémon.
It's down to Pikachu! The battle-wise Pokémon swats a rock into Tyrunt's impressive jaws so it can't bite, then finishes it off with a Thunderbolt. And with that move, Pikachu leads Ash to victory! Ash claims the Cliff Badge and makes plans to head to Shalour City!
The group have finally arrived in Cyllage City. Ash is eager to get his next Badge and rushes ahead to reach the Cyllage Gym. Serena points out that he is going the wrong way and that the Gym is actually on top of a mountain overlooking the city.
Ash and his friends arrive inside the Gym and are met with a tall rocky climbing course. Ash sees Grant climbing and tells him he has come to challenge him to a match. Grant challenges Ash to climb up the rock walls to meet him at the battlefield. Ash determinedly scales the walls, while his friends take the elevator. Grant tells Ash that he climbs walls to learn concentration and composure. As they prepare to battle, the battle judge says that Grant will use two Pokémon with no substitutions while the challenger can use as many as he has on hand. Grant reamrks that he has been looking forward to finally battling Ash since they first met at the Battle Chateau before calling out his Onix, while Ash uses Froakie. On the sidelines, Clemont and Bonnie notice Serena looks nervous and tense, weirdly enough, because Ash is the one battling. Serena denies looking concerned, but tells them the reason she is nervous is because she hopes all of Ash's recent training with his Pokémon pays off.
The battle begins, with Froakie leading off with Water Pulse, that misses its mark. Onix's strikes back with Flash Cannon, scoring a direct hit. Froakie makes a quick recovery and leaps forward. Onix uses Rock Polish to increase its own Speed, but is soon surrounded by Froakie's Double Team. When Onix uses Rock Tomb, its most powerful attack, Froakie jumps from rock from rock, a technique it and Ash had practiced while training to beat Rock Tomb. Up in the air, Froakie fires a Water Pulse directly at Onix's head. Onix then uses Iron Tail, which Froakie narrowly dodges before using the opportunity to climb up Onix's tail to its head. As Onix tries to shake it off, Froakie hangs on and Onix is finally downed by Froakie's Water Pulse.
Grant's second Pokémon, a Tyrunt takes to the field, which Ash scans on his Pokédex. Ash keeps Froakie on the field, and calls for a Double Team. Tyrunt tries a Rock Tomb, but Ash uses his special move and jumps up the rocks. Froakie uses Bubble, which hits his opponent. However Tyrunt jumps high into the air befoe unleashing a devastating Draco Meteor, knocking Froakie out. Ash, not discouraged, calls out Fletchling. He commands it to use Razor Wind, but Tyrunt counters with a Crunch of its large jaws. Ash uses Double Team and orders Fletchling to dive at its opponent's chest with Steel Wing. Tyrunt immediately leaps into the air and hits Fletchling hard with Dragon Tail, sending Fletchling crashing to the ground, unable to battle. Ash sends Pikachu out, his last Pokémon. He uses Quick Attack, and when Tyrunt charges forward with Crunch, Pikachu jumps over his head and out of range. Grant commands Tyrunt to use Draco Meteor, and Ash responds with Iron Tail, knocking Tyrunt down. Pikachu then jumps on the falling rocks of Draco Meteor just as Froakie did for Rock Tomb. Tyrunt's Dragon Tail is met with Pikachu's Iron Tail and they return again to the ground. Grant decides to finish the battle with Rock Tomb, but Pikachu knocks each rock away with his Iron Tail, lodging one in Tyrunt's mouth. Hopping closer on the rocks, Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on the helpless Tyrunt, and Ash wins the battle.
Grant congratulates Ash, but Ash says that he and his Pokémon earned the victory together. Grant presents Ash with the Cliff Badge. Outside the Gym, Grant asks Ash which Gym he plans to visit next. Serena suggests they head to Shalour City, where she hopes to see the Tower of Mastery. Grant tells them to expect a different kind of battle at the Shalour Gym, and that he hopes to battle Ash at the Battle Chateau sometime. Having decided his next destination, Ash continues on his journey.
- Ash and his friends reach Cyllage City.
- Ash has a Gym battle with Grant and wins, earning the Cliff Badge.
- Ash learns that the next Gym is located in Shalour City.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
Who's That Pokémon?: Tyrunt (US and international)
Pokémon Quiz: Tyrunt (Japan)
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Holo Caster: Magnemite
- In this Gym battle, Ash used his full party while Grant only used his Onix and Tyrunt, making it a two-on-three Gym battle, the first one of its kind seen in the anime.
- This is the third Gym battle that Ash had where he was allowed to use more Pokémon than the Gym Leader. The first two were his rematch with Whitney in A Dairy Tale Ending of the original series and his battle against Roxie in Rocking the Virbank Gym! Part 1 and Part 2 of Pokémon the Series: Black & White.
- Serena and Ash narrate the preview for the next episode.
- Ash reveals that Thunderbolt is his favorite move.
- Music from Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice is used in this episode.
- This episode bears some coincidental similarities to Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!:
- Both were the first episodes to have their air dates moved forward due to the postponement of other episodes: BW023 (unaired), BW024 (unaired), and An Undersea Place to Call Home!.
- Both episodes involve Gym battles.
- The featured Gym Leaders, Burgh and Grant, already made their debut exactly five episodes prior, in Sewaddle and Burgh in Pinwheel Forest! and Breaking Titles at the Chateau! respectively (if the aforementioned postponed episodes aren't counted).
- This episode was originally scheduled to air on May 8, 2014, but was pushed up two weeks after the postponement of An Undersea Place to Call Home!.
- The dub of the episode first aired in the United Kingdom on June 22, 2014, 13 days before the United States airing.
- Froakie's method of jumping on the rocks to gain momentum and get closer to Onix is derived from how it saved Skrelp in the previous episode, a detail that was not apparent due to the postponement.
- Right after they enter the gym, the camera from behind shows Bonnie next to Clemont, as well as the gang spread out, despite the front camera angle showing Bonnie behind Ash and Serena and the group being closer together.
- Grant's Onix is depicted much larger than normal Onix in some scenes.
- In the Swedish and Norwegian dub, just when Ash reaches the top of the wall climb, his English voice can faintly be heard.
In other languages
|Dutch||De muren beklimmen!|
|European French||Un combat à grimper aux murs !|
|German||Bezwinge die Wand!|
|Greek||Αναρρίχηση σε Τοίχους!|
|Hebrew||!מטפסים על הקירות|
|Italian||Alla conquista della vetta!|
|Korean||삼채체육관 시합! 피카츄 VS 티고라스!|
|Norwegian||Klatre opp veggene!|
|Polish||Wspinaczka na ściany!|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Escalando as Paredes!|
|Russian||Карабкаясь по стенам!|
|European Spanish||¡Escalando Muros!|
|Swedish||Att klättra upp för väggarna!|
|Thai||ศึกโชโยยิม! ปิกาจู ปะทะ จิโกรัส!!|
|Vietnamese||Trận chiến nhà thi đấu Shoyo! Pikachu đấu với Chigorasu|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|