|The subject of this article has no official English name.|
The name currently in use is a fan translation of the Japanese name.
|Japanese opening themes||
|AG OP 2
|Pikachu Records album
Challenger!! (Japanese: チャレンジャー！！ lit. Charenjā!!) is the second Japanese opening theme of Pokémon the Series: Ruby and Sapphire.
It debuted in AG070, and it was last used in AG104. It was preceded by Advance Adventure and followed by Pokémon Symphonic Medley.
Challenger is one of the songs featured in the Japanese release of Donkey Konga 2.
A single spotlight shines on Ash, who has a serious look on his face. The darkness behind him becomes light, and the camera pans out to show him and May in a tag battle using Pikachu and Combusken. Pikachu avoids Hariyama's Cross Chop and uses Thunderbolt on it. Combusken is lifted off the ground by Gardevoir's Psychic, but hits Gardevoir with a Flamethrower.
Ash, May, Brock, Max, and all their Pokémon run down a dirt road toward the camera. Then, Ash, May, Brock, Max, and Pikachu sit on a hill overlooking a town. Pikachu stretches.
Ash runs past a Charizard, a Venusaur, and a Blastoise.
The screen splits to show the faces of May and Drew, both looking serious. May holds a Poké Ball and Drew holds a rose. May then twirls with Beautifly flying around her. Drew jumps backward, throwing a rose, and Roselia twirls in front of him. Max appears with his PokéNav.
Ash and Pikachu stand on a tall rock, looking at the night sky. The aurora is active. Rayquaza flies past.
Professor Oak appears, with Tracey and Delia behind him.
Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny start to pose, but Brock jumps between them, surprising them. Max falls down onto Brock's shoulders and pulls on his ears.
Team Rocket flies up into the sky, obviously displeased.
Ash and Pikachu stand under a waterfall while May, Brock, and Max watch. May appears to sigh in exasperation.
Ash holds an injured Pikachu.
The series logo is shown, then a still shot of Ash, May, Brock, Max, and Pikachu appears.
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Swellow (Ash's, newly evolved)
- Grovyle (Ash's)
- Corphish (Ash's)
- Torkoal (Ash's)
- Combusken (May's, newly evolved)
- Beautifly (May's)
- Skitty (May's)
- Bulbasaur (May's, new)
- Forretress (Brock's)
- Lombre (Brock's)
- Mudkip (Brock's)
- Roselia (Drew's)
- This was the first opening theme sung by Rica Matsumoto since OK! in early Johto.
- This song is also heard in Crossing the Battle Line! and Short and To the Punch!.
- This opening contained a large amount of spoilers regarding the main characters' parties. May's Combusken and Bulbasaur, as well as Ash's Swellow, all debuted in this opening long before actually appearing on the show. In the English dub, the same clip was used and in fact spoiled not only these new Pokémon, but also the evolutions of Grovyle and Lombre, and the captures of Skitty and Torkoal. Also, since they were all shown in one group-shot, there was little ambiguity about their inclusion.
- In the first two airings, Blastoise's chin is colored blue instead of cream.
- Brock's arm is colored the same as his pants instead of his skin tone.
- May's Combusken hits Gardevoir with a Flamethrower, even though it doesn't know the respective move.
|Japanese opening themes||
|This article is part of Project Music, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each Pokémon song, CD and musician.|