Art from Pokémon GO
|Trainer class||Team Valor Leader|
|Specializes in||Fire types|
|Member of||Team Valor|
Candela (Japanese: キャンデラ Candela) is the leader of Team Valor (Japanese: チームヴァーラー Team Valor), one of the three teams in Pokémon GO. Team Valor is researching Pokémon strength, and is represented by Moltres. Team Valor Trainers believe that their Pokémon are the strongest because they train to naturally enhance a Pokémon's power in search of true strength.
She is one of Professor Willow's assistants, along with Spark and Blanche. She is the oldest of the three team leaders. While a very passionate and emotional person, Candela is capable of approaching difficult situations calmly.
On October 30, 2019, it was revealed that Candela was once close friends with Team GO Rocket Leader Arlo, who used to be a member of Team Valor prior to Candela becoming its leader. While doing outdoor research with Professor Willow, Candela spotted Arlo from a distance, surrounded by several Shadow Pokémon. Having heard of Blanche's and Spark's earlier encounters with the other Team GO Rocket Leaders, Candela opted to return to the lab, seemingly unnoticed by Arlo.
On November 7, 2019, Candela sent the following message in response to Team GO Rocket Leader Arlo:
- "Arlo. You’re right—I haven’t changed. I stand just as strong as I always have, and that’s what Team Valor needs: a leader who stands strong. Next time, battle me in the field and not with your words."'
On November 12, 2019, Candela had returned to the original location where she last saw Arlo and found that he was still present. She challenged him to battle on the terms that he uses his past team and not his Shadow Pokémon, to which Arlo accepted. During an intense battle, Arlo had two of his Pokénon knocked out without defeating even one of Candela's, causing him to become hopeless. Candela offered for him to return to Team Valor, but Arlo refused, stating that Team GO Rocket had made him a leader. Arlo then fled from battle, giving Candela a victory by forfeit.
On July 26, 2020, during Pokémon GO Fest 2020, Arlo battled Candela. Candela initiated the battle by sending out a Rapidash, while Arlo sent a Shadow Scizor. While Scizor was using X-Scissor, Candela reminisced about the time both Arlo and her were training together with their respective Scyther and Ponyta before parting ways. Coming back to her senses, she commanded Rapidash to use Fire Spin. In the end, Candela won the battle when Giovanni recalled Arlo to him along with the other Team GO Rocket Leaders. Professor Willow, Blanche, Candela, Spark and their Pokémon then witnessed the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 fireworks show in the sky.
- "I'm Candela — Team Valor's leader! Pokemon are stronger than humans, and they're warmhearted, too! I'm researching ways to enhance Pokemon's natural power in the pursuit of true strength. There's no doubt that the Pokemon our team have trained at the strongest in battle! Are you ready?"
- Team GO Rocket invasion (before battle)
- "I've been hearing reports of some mysterious characters near PokéStops. You should take charge and go investigate. Be careful, and make sure you're prepared for a battle!"
- Team GO Rocket invasion introduction (if battle lost)
- One of the following lines is randomly spoken
- "Keep up the fight!"
- "Stay strong!"
- "You have a lot of fight in you, Trainer!"
- "I can feel your passion!"
- "Put your heart into it!"
- "What an epic battle!"
- If defeated by a Bug-type Pokémon
- "Bug-type Pokémon are weak to Fire-, Flying-, and Rock-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Dark-type Pokémon
- "Dark-type Pokémon are weak to Fighting-, Bug-, and Fairy-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Dragon-type Pokémon
- "Dragon-type Pokémon are weak to Ice-, Dragon-, and Fairy-type attacks."
- If defeated by an Electric-type Pokémon
- "Electric-type Pokémon are weak to Ground-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Fairy-type Pokémon
- "Fairy-type Pokémon are weak to Poison- and Steel-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Fighting-type Pokémon
- "Fighting-type Pokémon are weak to Flying-, Psychic-, and Fairy-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Fire-type Pokémon
- "Fire-type Pokémon are weak to Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Flying-type Pokémon
- "Flying-type Pokémon are weak to Electric-, Ice-, and Rock-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Ghost-type Pokémon
- "Ghost-type Pokémon are weak to Ghost- and Dark-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Grass-type Pokémon
- "Grass-type Pokémon are weak to Fire-, Ice-, Poison-, Flying-, and Bug-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Ground-type Pokémon
- "Ground-type Pokémon are weak to Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type attacks."
- If defeated by an Ice-type Pokémon
- "Ice-type Pokémon are weak to Fire-, Fighting-, Rock-, and Steel-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Normal-type Pokémon
- "Normal-type Pokémon are weak to Fighting-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Poison-type Pokémon
- "Poison-type Pokémon are weak to Ground- and Psychic-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Psychic-type Pokémon
- "Psychic-type Pokémon are weak to Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Rock-type Pokémon
- "Rock-type Pokémon are weak to Water-, Grass-, Fighting-, Ground-, and Steel-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Steel-type Pokémon
- "Steel-type Pokémon are weak to Fire-, Fighting-, and Ground-type attacks."
- If defeated by a Water-type Pokémon
- "Water-type Pokémon are weak to Grass- and Electric-type attacks."
- Team GO Rocket invasion (if battle won)
- "You opponent fled...and left their Pokémon behind. That really burns me up. There seems to be an ominous aura around the Pokémon, too. Could you try to catch it and see what's so different about this Pokémon?"'
- Team GO Rocket invasion (after capture)
- "I think we can help this Pokémon. Purification is a process that makes certain Pokémon stronger by tapping into their inner power. Let's give it a try."
- Team GO Rocket invasion (after collecting first Mysterious Component)
- "That Grunt dropped something while they were running scared! What are they using these for? I bet this is what Team GO Rocket is using to hack the PokéStops... We have to find more. Time to battle some Grunts!"
- Team GO Rocket invasion (while a Rocket Radar is equipped)
- Upon first equipping
- "Great work! Fighting all those Grunts was worth the effort! A Rocket Radar! Professor Willow said once it’s equipped, you can intercept signals from Team GO Rocket. Finally, we can find those hideouts! Let’s GO take out these punks!"
- If there are no hideouts in the vicinity
- "Looks like we’ve scared ’em all off! Wanna try looking in a different area? Hmm, nothing here. Let’s see if we can pick up the trail in a new location."
- If there are currently no hideouts
- "Hah, you must have driven them out—no signals from any hideouts at all! Let’s check again in the morning. I have a feeling Team GO Rocket’ll be up to something then. In the meantime, I’ll ask if Blanche knows anything."
- Team GO Rocket invasion (while a Super Rocket Radar is equipped)
- Upon first equipping
- "Just look at this radar! You can just tell it’s more powerful than the others! My bet? It’s receiving signals from Team GO Rocket Headquarters. I’m getting fired up, but I know there have to be more hurdles before facing the Team GO Rocket Boss. I’ve heard their boss is fierce... But you’re on Team Valor, so I know you can handle it."
- Appraisal (before 0.149.0)
- "Hi <player>! Let's take a look at your <Pokémon>, shall we?"
- IV total
- 37-45: "Overall, your <Pokémon> simply amazes me. It can accomplish anything!"
- 30-36: "Overall, your <Pokémon> is a strong Pokémon. You should be proud!"
- 23-29: "Overall, your <Pokémon> is a decent Pokémon."
- 0-22: "Overall, your <Pokémon> may not be great in battle, but I still like it!"
- Best stat
- First: "Its <stat> is its strongest feature."
- If tie: "I'm just as impressed with its <stat>."
- Highest IV
- 15: "I'm blown away by its stats. WOW!"
- 13-14: "It's got excellent stats! How exciting!"
- 8-12: "Its stats indicate that in battle, it'll get the job done."
- 0-7: "Its stats don't point to greatness in battle."
- XS: "Your <Pokémon> is so tiny, I almost didn't notice it!"
- S: "Aww, what a small <Pokémon>! It's rather cute, I'd say."
- L: "Your <Pokémon> is rather sizable, that's for sure!"
- XL: "Your <Pokémon> is gigantic—the largest I've ever seen!"
- "Hope I was able to help. Take care!"
- Prior battle
- "A challenge from you is what I’ve been waiting for! Don’t hold back, because I won’t!"
Candela uses the following Pokémon in Battle Training. Her Pokémon's moves will be randomly chosen from their current move pool.
Prior to July 19, 2019
- Candela is left-handed.
|Japanese||キャンデラ Candela||From candela (Latin for candle)|
| English, French, German, Italian,
Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
|Candela||Same as Japanese name|
|Korean||칸델라 Candela||Transcription of her Japanese name|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||坎迪拉 Kǎndílā||Transcription of her Japanese name|
|Chinese (Cantonese)||坎迪拉 Hámdihklāai|
|Thai||แคนเดลา Candela||Transcription of her Japanese name|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|