|Mean With Envy
Mean With Envy (Japanese: 混戦、混乱！ポケモンコンテスト・キナギ大会！（前編） Disorderly Melee! Pokémon Contest - Kinagi Convention! (Part One)) is the 115th episode of Pokémon the Series: Ruby and Sapphire, and the 389th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on February 17, 2005, in the United Kingdom on January 31, 2006 and in the United States on April 1, 2006.
Pacifidlog at last! May is practicing for her contest, and Ash wants Snorunt to practice Ice Beam. But Snorunt's wild aim hits Team Rocket instead and scares another Coordinator's Aipom. Skitty chases it, and May chases Skitty. She finds Skitty playing with another Coordinator, Joshua, and the two talk about the upcoming contest. Erica, a Coordinator who really likes Joshua, loses her cool when she sees them together and gives May a piece of her mind.
Ash and the others show up, but so does Team Rocket! The villains grab Pikachu and Snorunt, so May and Joshua team up to stop them. Erica's so mad that May and Joshua are working together, she has Jynx use Hyper Beam to send Team Rocket flying. Then it's time to register for the contest, where Team Rocket also has a plan to enter the contest—with Meowth!
The first competitor in the Pacifidlog Contest is the Jester and her Meowth. Both of them look awfully familiar, as does the Giovanni ice sculpture Meowth carves using Fury Swipes! Joshua, Erica, and May all do well and move onto the second round along with the Jester. To May's shock, she'll be facing Joshua in the second round! Erica wants Joshua to win so they can win the ribbon together, but there's no way May is going to give up!
Finally in Pacifidlog Town, May enthusiastically prepares for the upcoming Pokémon Contest. Though she already has four Ribbons, she needs one more to enter the Hoenn Grand Festival. Because the Pacifidlog Contest is chronologically the last Pokémon Contest to be held before the Grand Festival, May must win this Contest Ribbon to be eligible to enter the competition. With that as motivation, May and her Pokémon start working on their performance moves. Just then, Skitty chases after an Aipom, May runs into fellow Coordinator Joshua.
Meanwhile, Ash is motivated by all of May's hard work to start training for the Hoenn League Championship, itself not far off. He calls out Snorunt to work on Ice Beam, which proves difficult for the playful Pokémon at first. Snorunt has soon mastered the force behind the move, but has no control over it. Nearby, Team Rocket wastes no time in making an attempt on Pikachu, though their impromptu spring from nearby bushes is cut short as a rogue Ice Bean freezes them solid. Snorunt use Ice Beam several more times, causing chaos for the nearby Trainers.
Elsewhere, May and Joshua have become acquainted. Joshua, a Pacifidlog Town resident, has entered the Pokémon Contest and is a local favorite. However, as May and Joshua chat, Erica, Joshua's girlfriend and also Coordinator, wrongly concludes that May is after Joshua romantically. As Erica watches and fumes from a distance, May reveals that she hasn't selected a Pokémon for the Contest yet. As Joshua comments that she should consider her Skitty because of its cuteness, Erica emerges from hiding. As Erica puts forth several accusations against May, she explains her master plan to go to the Contest finals together with Joshua and reveals her Pokémon, Jynx. Eventually, Ash, Brock, and Max find May, and the trio of Coordinators go to register at the Contest Hall together.
On the way, Team Rocket has regrouped and launches a balloon-born assault on the party -- however, May's Combusken quickly dismisses the balloon with a Sky Uppercut and Joshua's Houndoom rebukes Team Rocket's ragtag offensive. The addition of Skitty's Assist and Jynx's Hyper Beam send Team Rocket blasting off. May and Erica begin arguing over the battle, but Joshua points out that if they keep fighting, they will miss the registration deadline. May and Erica agree to resolve their argument on stage. Meanwhile, Team Rocket has landed and Jessie and Meowth enter the Contest in the persona of "The Jester". Ash resolves to keep training with Snorunt outside of the Contest Hall, leaving Brock and Max to root for May.
The Pacifidlog Contest begins as Vivian Meridian introduces the Contest Judges: Raoul Contesta from the Pokémon Activities Committee, Mr. Sukizo from the Pokémon Fan Club, and the Nurse Joy from the local Pokémon Center. She announces the start of the Appeals Round as Jessie, disguised as "The Jester" and Meowth take the stage. The performance consists of Meowth using Fury Swipes to carve out ice sculptures of Giovanni and Persian, the latter which he then reshapes into a Meowth. On his turn, Joshua commands his Houndoom to combine Shadow Ball and Swift for sensational effect. Erica's Jynx combines Blizzard and Psychic while May combines an Assist-spawned Razor Leaf, a Blizzard, and Double Slap to shower the hall in sparkling crystal. All four Coordinators advance to the Battle Round. May is assigned to fight Joshua, and Erica will square off against The Jester.
- Ash and his friends arrive in Pacifidlog Town.
- May enters the Pacifidlog Contest and advances to the Contest Battles.
- Ash starts training Snorunt to use Ice Beam properly.
- May learns that the Hoenn Grand Festival will start in a month.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- Nurse Joy
- Giovanni (fantasy)
- Vivian Meridian
- Raoul Contesta
- Mr. Sukizo
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Chimecho (James's)
- Snorunt (Ash's)
- Combusken (May's)
- Beautifly (May's)
- Skitty (May's)
- Bulbasaur (May's)
- Seviper (Jessie's)
- Cacnea (James's)
- Persian (Giovanni's; fantasy)
- Jynx (Erica's)
- Houndoom (Joshua's)
- Persian (Coordinator's)
- Nidoran♂ (Coordinator's)
- Rhydon (Coordinator's)
- Marill (Coordinator's)
- Azumarill (Coordinator's)
- Aipom (Coordinator's)
- Espeon (Coordinator's)
- Phanpy (Coordinator's)
- Mightyena (Coordinator's)
- Zigzagoon (Coordinator's)
- Shroomish (Coordinator's)
- Azurill (Coordinator's)
- Roselia (Coordinator's)
- Trapinch (Coordinator's)
- Swablu (Coordinator's)
- Castform (Coordinator's)
- Spheal (Coordinator's)
- Brock thinks that the ice sculpture of Giovanni "looks awfully familiar", thus making Mewtwo Returns canon, as that is the only time when Brock has met him before.
- The episode's English dub title is a pun on the idiom "green with envy".
- This is the third time Ash has trained on an attack during a Pokémon Contest. The first one was Pikachu and Iron Tail, the second was Swellow and Aerial Ace, and this one was Snorunt and Ice Beam.
- This marks the anime debut of Jynx's redesign.
- As a result, this also marks Jynx's first appearance in the English dub since A Mandarin Island Miss Match, 290 episodes prior, due to the controversy surrounding her old design causing EP250 to be not dubbed and All Things Bright and Beautifly!’s Jynx scene cut.
- According to Pokémon.com, this is the earliest episode in the anime to feature a Jynx. This is likely due to all episodes featuring Jynx's original design either being banned or cut to remove the scenes featuring her in the dub.
- The way Erica and Joshua split the Pacifidlog Ribbon in Erica's fantasy resembles the way Ash and May would eventually split the Terracotta Medal 77 episodes later.
- Erica's dream of winning the Pacifidlog Contest together with Joshua is impossible in practice. As established later on in Going for Choke!, Contest Battles ending in a tie must be decided in a sudden-death round.
- For reasons unknown, this episode, along with the previous and next episodes, were delayed and ultimately aired out of place in the United States. All three episodes aired between At the End of the Fray and The Scheme Team.
- Ready Go! is used as background music for this episode.
- This was the first episode to premiere in Japan after the opening of Bulbapedia.
- When Meowth says "No Persian is gonna make a Mankey outta me!", the closed captioning referred the dialogue as "No Persian is gonna make a Monkey outta me!"
- When Meowth changes the Persian statue into himself, it exclaims "Nyarth", the Japanese name for Meowth.
- When Erica hugs her Jynx, one of Jynx's arms is colored purple, not red, yet right after it moves its arm, it becomes red.
- Jessie comments that Meowth is a rare example of a Pokémon that can understand human speech. However, all Pokémon can understand human speech. It is possible that she was referring to understanding how to speak human speech and understanding the words themselves, which Meowth had to do as chronicled in Go West Young Meowth.
- After Team Rocket gets blasted off, Wobbuffet is nowhere to be seen, even though he was out of his Poké Ball.
- When Joshua's Houndoom uses its attacks, it says its Japanese name.
- Near the end of the episode, when it shows who went up to the second round, a "white line" is not present on top of Erica.
- In the Finnish dub, Persian's name is mistakenly translated the same way as the Persian cat.
In other languages
|Dutch||Groen van Jaloezie|
|Finnish||Kateus on pahasta|
|French||Concours et jalousie (1/2)|
|German||Eifer sucht Eifersucht!|
|Hebrew||רשע וקנאה resha vekin'a|
|Hindi||May का आखिरी कौनटेस्ट May ka aakhri contest*|
|Korean||대접전! 포켓몬 콘테스트 황금대회! <제1부>|
|Norwegian||Sint og sjalu|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Um Pouco de Inveja|
|Russian||Зависть и злость|
|Spanish||Latin America||Mala y envidiosa|
|Spain||¡Celos y envidia!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|