|Anime debut||Ditto's Mysterious Mansion|
|English voice actor||Megan Hollingshead*|
|Japanese voice actor||Orine Fukushima|
Duplica (Japanese: イミテ Imite) is a young girl who works as a performing Pokémon Trainer and impressionist.
In the anime
Ash and his friends first met Duplica in Ditto's Mysterious Mansion after taking shelter from a storm in a mansion. It turned out, the mansion, called the "House of Imite", belonged to Duplica and served as a rest stop and performance space for her imitation shows. She showed Ash and his friends her Ditto's ability to transform into any Pokémon. A skeptical Ash sent out his Bulbasaur to battle her Ditto, and his Bulbasaur lost. Duplica then explained there is something her Ditto had trouble transforming — its face. No matter what Pokémon it transformed into, it always retained the beady eyes and wobbly mouth of a Ditto.
Team Rocket kidnapped Duplica's Ditto in order to have it transform into a Dratini so they could give it to Giovanni. After a while, and with threats, they were able to train it to transform satisfactorily. With Duplica's help, Ash and his friends hatched a plan of their own. Dressed as Team Rocket, they pulled off their own imitation show in order to rescue her Ditto. Duplica knew the time had come, she now felt ready to reopen her mansion as a theater to entertain passing Pokémon Trainers.
Later, in Imitation Confrontation, Brock noticed that a Nurse Joy they were talking to was an imitation. It turned out to be Duplica, who had come to the local Johto town for a Pokémon acting competition. She had another Ditto, Mini-Dit, with another unique problem — it could transform into perfect miniature replicas of other Pokémon including a tiny, handheld Onix.
Team Rocket stole Mini-Dit and planned to have it transform into a Pokémon that they could pass off as a rare, pygmy version in order to receive a powerful Pokémon in return. Duplica recovered Mini-Dit, using it in a Double Battle against Jessie and James. She and Ash then sent Team Rocket flying. In the end, Duplica decided that Mini-Dit's unusual transformations made it unique; the audience seemed to agree.
Dupica is an avid performer, and she tends to use her Ditto duo to add to her near-perfect imitations of characters like Nurse Joy. By the end of Imitation Confrontation, she decided to become a Ditto Master and collect Ditto with various and unique Transformation abilities.
Duplica also proved to be a tough opponent who is well aware of the advantages of her Ditto's transformations. She knows the moves of her opponent's Pokémon, such as when she taught Jessie about her Wobbuffet's Mirror Coat, while Ash learned that Totodile could use Scary Face from her as well.
This listing is of Duplica's Pokémon in the anime.
|Debut||Ditto's Mysterious Mansion|
|Mini-Dit (Japanese: メタぴょん Meta-pyon) is the second Ditto owned by Duplica. Unlike other Ditto, it cannot alter its size when it transforms. However, its other powers are all the same as a normal Ditto's.|
In the games
Duplica appears, along with Casey, as the Stage 3 opponent of Special Seven mode. Duplica's Ditto also appears as a card in Special Seven mode. Playing this card changes the suit of the card to the player's choice.
- Before battle
- "I am Duplica! I aim to be a PKMN master! You must know all PKMN to truly use Ditto. I'll take you anytime!"
- During battle
- "If using a card
- "I'll go now."
- "Here's how to do it."
- "I still have a lot."
- Using Ditto
- "My Ditto is too strong!"
- If drawing a card
- "I still have my Ditto."
- "No turn for Ditto."
- "You use PKMN wisely."
- "More cards for me."
- Hit with Jigglypuff
- Hit with Reverse
- "The rotation changed!"
- After battle
- Second or third
- "Nice Job!"
- When defeated
- "I've got a lot to learn."
In the manga
In The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga
Duplica appears in Pikachu's Excellent Adventure. Her Ditto had grown in its abilities so that it was now able to vary how closely it imitated other Pokémon. It could partially transform into a rubbery, tall version of Machop, for instance.
This listing is of Duplica's Pokémon in the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga.
Ditto is Duplica's only known Pokémon. It grew in its abilities to transform into other Pokémon so that it was now successful in completely imitating other Pokémon. One of the Pokémon that it transformed was a Machop.
|Debut||Pikachu's Excellent Adventure|
- Duplica's first Ditto's habit of not transforming its face was originally presented as an anomaly. However, other Ditto with this trait have been seen in other media, such as the wild Ditto on Pokémon Island in Pokémon Snap. They also transform into the same Pokémon as Ditto did in Duplica's debut episode, a Bulbasaur. Ditto cards in the TCG in which Ditto is seen transformed into another Pokémon also behave in this way. Additionally, in Diamond and Pearl's Veilstone Game Corner, during the Game Corner slot machine game, a Clefairy with a Ditto face will occasionally appear instead of a real Clefairy, and Howard Clifford's Ditto in Detective Pikachu has this trait as well.
- Duplica's method of defeating Ash was similar to how Mewtwo's Venusaur defeated Corey's Venusaur, Bruteroot, in Mewtwo Strikes Back.
- When dressing up as Ash Ketchum, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and Misty, she briefly speaks in their voices. The English dub makes Duplica's impersonation as Nurse Joy perfect, since they shared the same voice actress.
- Narissa from Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl is somewhat similar to Duplica, having two Ditto (with one of them being somewhat special) and cosplaying.
- She sometimes calls Ash "Ashy-boy", possibly imitating Gary Oak.
|Japanese||イミテ Imite||From imitate.|
|English, Italian, German||Duplica||From duplicate.|
|Korean||미미 Mimi||From mimic.|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||伊美蒂 Yīměidì||Transliteration of her Japanese name.|
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|