The Darkness type (Japanese: 悪 Evil) is one of the eleven TCG types. It is represented by the color black, and symbolized by an exaggerated crescent moon.
The Darkness type was introduced in the Neo Genesis set, along with the Metal type, when the Dark- and Steel-types were added upon Pokémon Gold and Silver's release. Prior to this, there were no Darkness type Pokémon.
Like the Metal type, the Darkness type has its own Special Energy, Darkness Energy. This type of energy affects only Darkness type Pokémon and Pokémon with Dark in their names, and allowed an attack that did damage to do 10 more damage. There was no basic Darkness Energy card until the Diamond & Pearl set, when one was finally released.
The Darkness type can be seen as the "dark" or "evil" type of the game. For example, since the EX series of the TCG, Pokémon with "Dark" in their names and Pokémon belonging to Team Rocket, Aqua, or Magma would be both of their natural type and of the Darkness type. Likewise, the Darkness type is used on a number of Special Energy cards, such as Aqua Energy, Magma Energy, Dark Metal Energy, R Energy and the aforementioned Darkness Energy.
Starting in Sword & Shield, Poison-type Pokémon are now grouped in with this type. For example, Grimer is now classified as Darkness type. According to the game's director, Atsushi Nagashima, this was done to strengthen Darkness-based decks by giving them Pokémon weak to either Grass Pokémon or Fighting Pokémon instead of only Fighting Pokémon, which diversifies options available to players.
Generally, Darkness Pokémon have a weakness to:
- Fighting, if the corresponding Pokémon in the games is Dark-type (before the Sword & Shield expansion) or Poison-type (starting with the Sword & Shield expansion)
- Grass, if the corresponding Pokémon in the games is Dark-type (starting with the Sword & Shield expansion)
Generally, Darkness Pokémon have a resistance to:
- Psychic (before the Sword & Shield expansion)
These types are generally weak to Darkness Pokémon:
These types are generally resistant to Darkness Pokémon:
- Fairy (before the Sword & Shield expansion)
Darkness Pokémon in the TCG
See Category:Darkness-type Pokémon cards for all Pokémon cards that have this type.
- All Darkness-type Pokémon released during the Neo Series had no Weakness.
- All Darkness- and Metal-type Pokémon released during the Neo Series had a golden crown-like ornament around their type symbol.
- The Darkness type is the only one to not have a Rapid Strike Pokémon, except for the retired Fairy type.
In other languages
|This article is part of Project TCG, a Bulbapedia project that aims to report on every aspect of the Pokémon Trading Card Game.