|Mutiny in the Bounty!
Mutiny in the Bounty! (Japanese: ポケモンハンターJ！ Pokémon Hunter J!) is the 20th episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 486th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on February 22, 2007 and in the United States on July 9, 2007.
On the way to Floaroma Town, our heroes see a Salamence-riding woman steal a Gardevoir from a Trainer named Melodi. Ash and Pikachu come to the rescue, but the mystery woman sends out a Drapion and swipes Pikachu! Team Rocket refuses to be outdone by another Pokémon thief and make their big entrance, except the woman steals Meowth as well before making her getaway.
What's going on? It's the latest heist by Pokémon Hunter J, a merciless Pokémon thief for hire! Together with Melodi, Officer Jenny, and even Team Rocket, our heroes set out to stop her. Melodi's Kirlia is able to locate J's next position, and Ash doesn't wait for back-up—he runs off and finds J in the middle of stealing an Absol.
It's hard to stop her when she has a Salamence to back her up, forcing Ash and Team Rocket to take the indirect route instead: they stow away under her vehicle and hitch a ride onto her aircraft. But the Hunter soon realizes there are intruders onboard, so Ash and Team Rocket battle their way through the ship and reach the hangar where Meowth, Pikachu, and Gardevoir are located. Ruthless as always, J decides to solve this problem by jettisoning the entire hangar! Gardevoir's Teleport saves the day, but J has escaped, and our heroes can only hope that one day she'll be brought to justice.
On the way to Floaroma Town, Ash and his friends come across a beautiful flower garden. They notice a Salamence flying by. As the Salamence flies by, Dawn analyzes Salamence in her Pokédex. Someone's riding the Salamence, and that someone is none other than the notorious Pokémon Hunter J, and she's here to steal Melodi's Gardevoir. While Melodi is watering flowers in her garden, J arrives to do the evil deed. J brings out her Ariados and Ariados uses String Shot to bind Melodi to the tree. Melodi orders Gardevoir to use Teleport. Ash, Pikachu, Brock and Dawn notice the danger Melodi is in and rush to help her. J uses her heat-seeking goggles to track Gardevoir. After locating Gardevoir, J uses her Cement Cannon to turn Gardevoir to stone! J informs her minions she has captured the Gardevoir, and the minions arrive to take Gardevoir.
As Brock and Dawn free Melodi, Ash and Pikachu chase the truck, and as they run after the truck, they use the mountain path to head J off. Ash and Pikachu confront J and demand she returns Melodi's Gardevoir. J becomes interested in Ash's Pikachu, and decides to capture it, but first wants to watch Pikachu's other attacks. She calls out her Drapion and Ash analyzes Drapion in his Pokédex. Pikachu responds with a Volt Tackle, and Drapion quickly dodges it. J's Ariados uses String Shot on Ash, binding him to a boulder, and J takes Pikachu! With Pikachu stolen, J recalls her Drapion and leaves. Jessie, James and Meowth notice this and are willing to steal all the Pokémon J stole, thinking maybe J will join forces with them. Ash informs Brock, Melodi and Dawn he wasn't able to rescue Gardevoir, and he got his Pikachu stolen. Dawn's Pachirisu gets Ash untied with its Spark.
Team Rocket is ready to pull off their heist. They stop the truck by fogging the road with smoke. The minion driving the truck wonders why the road is all foggy. Jessie and James recite the Team Rocket motto and prepare to pull off their heist, but their attempts go unsuccessful when J tells them she's going to steal Meowth. As Jessie calls out her Seviper and before James can send out his Carnivine, J's Ariados binds Jessie, James, and Seviper to a rock, takes Meowth and makes her leave. Ash and his friends continue to chase the truck, but J escapes in a giant airship.
Officer Jenny and her Arcanine arrive, because they came as soon as they could when they learned that J was here, but they were too late to stop her. Jenny tells everyone about J's evil acts. Ash, Brock, and Dawn all grow furious, with Ash vowing to rescue his Pikachu from J. The still-stringed Team Rocket are furious too, believing the fact that Pokémon hunters are total outcasts. Jessie tells James she will not be outdone by J and that they're going to sneak aboard the ship and rescue Meowth. In J's ship, a minion catalogs J's stolen Pokémon. He unfreezes Meowth from his imprisonment jar and tells him that he wants to work for Hunter J, but his true intention is to escape from this dire situation before being sold. He just needs to figure out a way to get his paws on the switch of the jar.
Jenny has no idea where J went because her identity is a mystery. After J steals others' Pokémon, she makes her leave in her airship. Brock and Dawn say there isn't a way they can chase J. Brock tells Jenny that they can't chase J and the only way could catch J in the act is as if they could predict the next place she'll strike next. Melodi calls out her Kirlia so that the group will find out where J will strike next. Using its Future Sight, Kirlia shows the group J's next strike point. The next place that J will come for is a small house with a waterwheel, right near the river, down at the end of the woods. Jenny notifies the other officers that she has determined J's next strike point and orders the officers to surround the area.
They spot J stealing an Absol and prepare to confront her. Unfortunately, Jenny didn't get the place surrounded yet. Ash demands Pikachu back and Jenny, like all police officers, puts J under arrest. J thinks she should commend Ash for discovering her base, but orders Salamence to use Hyper Beam. Arcanine counters with Flamethrower. Arcanine is knocked out. J takes the Absol and makes her leave. Ash grabs onto one of J's vehicles. He notices Jessie and James on board. Jessie and James fill Ash in on Meowth being stolen as they grip tightly on the truck. Dawn and Brock try to stop J, but the truck takes off for J's base.
Ash and Team Rocket infiltrate J's base. Ash, Jessie, James, and Aipom all split up to find the stolen Pokémon. Meanwhile, in the room where J has all the Pokémon she stole, as one of her minions catalogs them, Meowth tells J that he wants to work for her; because since he speaks perfect English, he can translate for Pokémon J can steal. Once the time is right, he'll be able to jump ship. Aipom peeks into the room and runs back to tell Ash. J tells Meowth she isn't interested and orders the minion to completely freeze Meowth. Before the minion can completely freeze Meowth, J notices that Aipom left the door open. She is now aware of Ash and the Rockets' presence and orders her henchmen to find them.
Jessie and James are spotted by J's minions and they make a run for it. As Ash and Aipom search for Pikachu, J and her Drapion appear and capture Ash. Aipom hits J's Drapion with Fury Swipes, freeing Ash from the scorpion's clutches. Ash sends out his Turtwig to assist Aipom in the battle. Drapion uses Poison Sting, but Aipom and Turtwig counter with Swift and Razor Leaf, but their attacks didn't damage the Ogre Scorpion Pokémon. Drapion hits Aipom and Turtwig with Cross Poison.
As Jessie and James continue running from J's henchmen, it looks as if J has Ash, Aipom, Turtwig and the Rockets cornered, but they duck into the vents as J's minions continue to run after them. As J's minions chase after Ash and the Rockets, Turtwig takes them out with Razor Leaf. They enter the room where Aipom found Meowth and Pikachu and Melodi's Gardevoir. They rescue them but end up cornered by J's henchmen. One of J's minions sends out a Golbat. Before Golbat can attack with its Steel Wing, Ash tells Pikachu to use Volt Tackle. Golbat gets back in the air and uses Supersonic, but Pikachu hits Golbat with a Thunderbolt. The attack also destroys the airlock, causing the air to rush out of the room. As everyone holds on, Ash recalls Aipom and Turtwig and sends out Staravia and sends it to find Jenny.
J notices what's happening and orders her ship's driver to detach the pod that Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket are in. J's henchmen draw close to Ash and Team Rocket, who are still ready to battle. They notice the pod they are in had detached from the ship. Jenny, Brock, Dawn, and Melodi notice the pod that Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket are in is plummeting. As the pod plummets to the ground, Melodi orders a Teleport from her Gardevoir. Gardevoir uses Teleport, and Gardevoir, Ash, Jessie, James, Pikachu, Meowth, J's henchmen, and the imprisoned Absol escape from the ship. The Trainers are happy after being reunited with their Pokémon. Jenny lassos J's minions and places them under arrest. Officer Jenny thanks Ash and his friends for the capture of J's henchmen. Jessie, James, and Meowth, under the belief that Jenny is still trying to capture them, leave the scene.
After leaving the scene of the arrest, Team Rocket starts to rant about how better they can do at stealing Pokémon. Ash and Dawn rant about J's crime spree, but Brock tells them Jenny will capture J one day. Ash and his friends gaze at the sunset, and they continue their way to Floaroma Town.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the history page.
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Mime Jr. (James's)
- Aipom (Ash's)
- Staravia (Ash's)
- Turtwig (Ash's)
- Pachirisu (Dawn's)
- Seviper (Jessie's)
- Arcanine (Officer Jenny's)
- Ariados (J's)
- Salamence (J's)
- Drapion (J's; debut)
- Kirlia (Melodi's)
- Gardevoir (Melodi's)
- Golbat (J's henchmen's)
- Ninetales (flashback)
- Kirlia (flashback)
- Teddiursa (flashback)
- Magby (flashback)
- Swampert (flashback)
- Relicanth (flashback)
- Dawn's Pachirisu is added to the opening animation.
- Music from Jirachi: Wish Maker is used as background music.
- 4Kids background music is used in this episode.
- Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Encyclopedia is replaced by the announcement of a poll.
- Brock narrates the preview for the next episode.
- The name of Gardevoir's owner is never mentioned in the English dub. The only reference to Melodi's name occurs twice in the closed captioning. One occurs when they see J's next target using Kirlia, and the other occurs when Melodi commands Gardevoir to Teleport everyone to safety at the end of the episode.
- In a rare occurrence, Jessie's Seviper says its name at the end of Team Rocket's motto, along with Wobbuffet and Mime Jr..
- The episode's English dub title is a reference to the mutiny that took place on the British Royal Navy ship HMS Bounty. According to the majority of accounts, the sailors mutinied because they were attracted to the idyllic life on the Pacific islands of Tahiti and Pitcairn, as well as the alleged cruelty of their commanding officer, William Bligh. Since then, several books and films have been made based on the event.
- This episode reveals that the Officer Jennys working in the Sinnoh region use Arcanine as assistants in addition to Growlithe.
- At the end of the episode, the Absol is not reverted from its frozen form.
- This is one of the few episodes of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl where Dawn's Piplup does not appear.
- Team Rocket doesn't blast off in this episode.
- When Team Rocket is tied up by J's Ariados, Wobbuffet and Mime Jr. disappear.
- When Aipom opens the vent entrance, the size of the entrance is wide. When Ash, his Pokémon, and Team Rocket go into the vents, however, the size of the entrance appears to be taller.
- In the English dub:
- As James is running away from J's henchmen, he sees Jessie running towards him, also being chased. When they get next to each other, they both yell "Exit stage right", then run down the hallway next to them. The hallway was on Jessie's right, but on James' left. This dialogue was edited to "Exit stage left" in future airings of this episode.
- When Ash says "Oh no! Pikachu!", the captions exclude the "oh" part.
- When J attacks Team Rocket in the dub, Jessie yells at Meowth to defend her honor. In the original her line was directed at J, calling her a coward for not battling them properly, and J responds that she's not interested in doing so.
- The Sky Kids UK version of this episode removes the scene in which Ash grabs onto the underside of one of J's vehicles, and discovering Team Rocket hiding along with him - the scene awkwardly cuts from Ash getting back to his feet to the van speeding away. However, Brock's line of "Probably hanging on for dear life!" in reference to this isn't cut.
In other languages
|Vzpoura na lodi Bounty *
|Mytteri i lasten
|Muiterij in Pokémonland!
|La chasseuse de Pokémon !
|ג'יי ציידת הפוקימונים
|La cacciatrice di Pokémon & A bordo della nave pirata
|포켓몬 사냥꾼 제이
|Pościg za Łowczynią Pokémonów
|Caçadora de Encrencas!
|O Grande Motim!
|Revoltă la Răscumpare
|Бунт на корабле
|¡El botín Pokémon!
|Rebelión a bordo
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.