Robert F. Fox, better known as Toby Fox (born October 11, 1991), is an American video game developer and composer known for creating the indie games Undertale and Deltarune, as well as having composed music for the Homestuck webcomic. For Pokémon, Fox has composed music for Pokémon Sword and Shield and Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
The popularity of Undertale resulted in many Game Freak employees becoming fans of the game, and for Fox to become known in the company. In particular, Fox befriended Gō Ichinose, who had followed him on Twitter prior.
During a meeting with staff members of Game Freak at a café, Fox asked if he could compose a music track for Pokémon Sword and Shield. The Game Freak members approved, and told Fox of the concept needed for the track. The music track Fox composed appeared in-game as the Battle! (Battle Tower) theme.
Besides Pokémon Sword and Shield, Fox had also composed music for Little Town Hero, another video game developed by Game Freak which released in the same year. Fox would later go on to compose some of the soundtrack for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
Fox has described his experiences living with chronic hand and wrist pain as a composer and game developer (two professions that require copious use of these affected areas).
- Undertale (2015) - Creator, director, designer, programmer, writer, composer
- Hiveswap (2017) - Composer
- Deltarune (2018) - Creator, director, designer, programmer, writer, composer
- YIIK: A Postmodern RPG (2019) - Guest composer (Into the Mind)
- Escaped Chasm (2019) - Composer
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Fighters Pass Vol. 1 (2019) - Guest composer (MEGALOVANIA)
- Little Town Hero (2019) - Composer
- Pokémon Sword and Shield (2019) - Guest composer (Battle! (Battle Tower))
- Dweller's Empty Path (2020) - Composer
- OMORI (2020) - Guest composer (MERRY CD)
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (2022) - Composer (Academy, Tera Raid Battles, Academy Ace Tournament, Battle! Zero Lab, Area Zero)
Tera Raid Battle soundtrack announcement art
- Toby Fox confirmed Shigeru Ohmori as Pokémon Scarlet and Violet's director ahead of any official announcements, via a tweet where he talked about having composed the Tera Raid Battle theme.
- ↑ @tobyfox on Twitter
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Special Letter and Song from Undertale Game Creator Toby Fox — Pokemon.com
- ↑ @tobyfox on Twitter - I'm excited to announce I was asked to compose for Game Freak's "Little Town Hero" (formerly known as Town). It was an honor to have many of my songs arranged by the amazing Hitomi Sato-san, too (known for Pokemon Black and White).
- ↑ @tobyfox on Twitter - I had the honor of composing the field music for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet! After creating a concept sketch, Game Freak arranged it into many versions that you'll hear throughout the game. You can hear a bit of it in this trailer...
- ↑ @tobyfox on Twitter - A few more Toby Fox tracks will appear in the game, too, so please look forward to those! This time, my music is not optional!!!
- ↑ @tobyfox on Twitter - You may have heard a little in the Pokémon Presents a bit ago, but I composed the music for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet's new Terastal Raid battles! I can't wait to have my Pokémon obliterated by a jewel-covered Fidough!
- ↑ https://undertale.com/deltarune-update-092020/
- ↑ https://deltarune.com/newsletter/ - UNDERTALE / DELTARUNE NEWSLETTER - ISSUE 1 (Winter Season)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 @tobyfox on Twitter - When I was first given this assignment, the game director, Ohmori-san, showed me a Lucario with a gigantic oversized crystal flower coming out of its head and told me it was the new game mechanic. Using this information as a blueprint, I created the song... Hope you enjoy!
|This article is part of Project Music, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each Pokémon song, CD and musician.|