Wii Family Edition
The White Wii Family Edition
The Wii Family Edition is a revision for the Wii. It was released in North America on October 23, 2011, in Europe on November 4, 2011, and in Australia on November 11, 2011; it has not been released in Japan, however.
Comparison to the original Wii
- The Wii Family Edition is incompatible with Nintendo GameCube games or hardware like the original model was.
- This model is designed to sit horizontally, rather than upright like the original model.
- Compatibility with 12cm Wii Game Discs
- 729 MHz "Broadway" IBM CPU
- 243 MHz "Hollywood" ATI GPU
- 88 MB total memory, 24 MB Mo-Sys 1T-SRAM, 324 MHz, 2,7 GB/s bandwidth
- 512 MB internal flash memory, for game, channel, and data saving
- SD memory card bay for expansion of save space. Initially, the system supported SD cards up to 2 GB; after the Wii System 4.0 update, the system supports SDHC cards up to 32 GB, but games released before the system update may not read SDHC cards.
- Supports GameCube memory cards (except Wii Family Edition and Wii mini)
- Two USB ports for expansion and/or networking capabilities
On game discs
Most Wii games are released on the Wii's own 12cm discs. There are four known games that feature Pokémon.
|Pokémon Battle Revolution||Battle simulation||2006|
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl||Versus fighting||2008|
|PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure||Action-adventure||2009|
|PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond||Action-adventure||2012|
WiiWare games are special games downloadable via the Wii Shop Channel. Two Pokémon games have been released worldwide, and a third has been released only in Japan.
|My Pokémon Ranch||Virtual life||2008||1000 Wii Points|
|Pokémon Rumble||Action RPG||2009||1500 Wii Points|
|Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (WiiWare)||Dungeon crawler||2009||1200 Wii Points|
Virtual Console games
Virtual Console games are old games that were originally released on past consoles, and have now been re-released on the Wii Shop Channel. Like WiiWare games, they can be downloaded after being bought. There are two Pokémon games that have received this treatment, plus the original Super Smash Bros. game.
|Title||Genre||Original system||Original release||VC release|
|Pokémon Snap||First-person rail shooter||Nintendo 64||1997||2007|
|Pokémon Puzzle League||Puzzle||Nintendo 64||2000||2008|
|Super Smash Bros.||Versus fighting||Nintendo 64||1999||2009|
- Nintendo (Japanese)
|Game systems with Pokémon games|
|Nintendo handheld consoles|
|GB (Pocket • GBL • SGB • SGB2) • GBC • mini • GBA (SP • GBm • GBP)|
DS (Lite • DSi • DSi XL) • 3DS (XL • 2DS • New 3DS • New 3DS XL • New 2DS XL)
Switch (Lite • OLED)
|Nintendo home consoles|
|SNES (BS-X • SGB • NP • SGB2) • N64 (DD) • GCN (GBP)|
Wii (Family Edition • mini) • Wii U
|Pico • Beena|