Welcome to Bulbapedia, Tanooki!
As a new user, you may wish to learn a few things that will be useful in your editing:
- For a basic overview of wiki code, see this page.
- The manual of style is very important. Make sure to read it. It outlines all official policies of Bulbapedia.
- Keep an eye on the Messages from the Editor on the main page, to stay informed on current events on Bulbapedia.
- The word Pokémon is spelled with a capital P and an accented é. The é can be accessed by holding Alt and typing either 130 or 0233 on a Windows computer, and by using Option + e, then e again on a Mac. Otherwise, you can easily click it in the character palette below the editbox.
- The word Poké Ball is spelled as two words. The "Poké" part is identical to the four beginning letters in "Pokémon"; "Ball" is spelled with a capital B. The spelling "Pokéball" arises frequently, but is incorrect.
- The word "you" and all forms of it should not be used on encyclopedic pages unless it is a quote from Pokémon or other media. Bulbapedia is an encyclopedia, not a walkthrough.
- On talk pages, please sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~).
- The use of link templates is official policy. For an explanation on their use, see the page on shortlinks.
- If you happen to spot a vandal in the recent changes that has not been dealt with, please see this page for how to deal with it.
- A list of pages that are linked to, but have not been created, can be found at this page. A list of short articles that may require more information can be found here, while a list of articles that need improvement can be found here.
- For a future capture, release, trade, or evolution of a Pokémon belonging to a main character of the anime, please do not create or move the page to reflect your suspicions, even if they are shared by many others. Policy here is to wait until the episode in which the event happens takes place is aired, unless there is substantial evidence for the suspicion (such as Brock's Happiny being held in his arms).
- Image uploading is done on Bulbagarden Archives, a separate wiki accessible through the toolbox in the sidebar. This is done so that both Bulbapedia and Bulbanews have access to the images uploaded. To activate your account at the Archives and Bulbanews, please login there using the same username and password you use here on Bulbapedia.
- If you want to make a page about a character you made up, please create it at User:Tanooki/(name), not merely (name). Bulbapedia's main namespace is reserved for actual, official Pokémon, items, characters, and locations. Also, please try to make sure that subpages are not categorized by templates used within.
- Having said this, please make sure that you do contribute adequately to the main namespace. Bulbapedia is not MySpace or Facebook.
- A list of the admins that you can contact in case of a problem can be found here.
Use four tildes (~) MathijsP 09:35, 26 June 2008 (UTC)
Talk Page Comments
Please don't erase talk page comments for no reason. Trust me, you do NOT want to end up like Big Johnno, who got into an edit war with a sysop over comments the former had erased and was trying to keep erased. That user ended up blocked and subsequently had every erased comment restored. --Shiningpikablu252 02:43, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
Well...Can I edit my OWN talk page?...I just don't understand. This website doesn't exactly make things user friendly/newbie freindly. Yes I have looked at the guides. I'm not trying to be a vandal. Perhaps there should be a sentence or two at the top of every talk page that says: Don't erase messages no matter what. I read somewhere that talk pages where making Bulbapedia's servers slow down...I was only trying to get rid of my own comment that I thought was useless. Tanooki 03:32, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
Gee what happened? I thought nothing was to be deleted no matter what. Someone tries to take my side (thank you user: Oa) and an admin can delete the comment because we are discussing a minor edit? I agree with Oa. Be nicer to new users. I didn't know what I was doing, and bulbapedia doesn't do a great job of explaining the rules. It isn't even clearly explained that there is a difference between a user page/user talk page. I didn't find out for my self until I had been accused of trying to evade a ban.
- The only reason I was hard on you was because Shiningpikablu252 told you nicely not to erase comments and you still did it. Don't act like we're being mean to you when you broke the rule even though you were told erasing comments was prohibited. As for the person who deleted Oa's comments, even though I think they shouldn't of done it, was probably trying to stop a fight from happening. All of the rules are listed in the Manual of Styles which a link is provided in the welcome message that you previously deleted. It tells you everything you need to know. --☆ケンジガール 06:17, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
- That wasn't an admin. That was CoolPikachu! overstepping his bounds.
- Before you two showed up, there were a lot of people using the User namespace for extensive profiles and the various Talk namespaces for chat rooms. So we started deleting spammy comments. However, you can't delete actual wiki-related content. That's also against the rules. It's confusing, I know... if you had been here four months ago, it might make more sense. --Martonimos((Argh|Blargh)) 07:24, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
I can assure you I`m not a sockpuppet. I am just sick of seeing newbies make an effort to follow rules and people treat them like nothing. It has happen to me alot, mod or vet. Everyone should be treated with kindess. This is the internet, but I doubt you walk up to a stanger and talk in such a rude manner. I am sorry if this indirectly hurts takooni`s chances here but I`m sure you already itimidated him or her away. Removing this or not, please consider that newbies might need more than big blobs of rules to get the feel of this place and everybody makes mistakes.
Normally I am not one to care about others affairs, tanooki, but you are welcomed. Looks like this is kinda what a "pm" would be I guess? but eveyone can see and edit it, or this isn`t where people normally exchange messages?
Thanks. Yeah it seems kind of like a private message type thing...but I'm not sure why you aren't allowed to delete your own messages. Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to figure it out for myself without being accused of being a vandal ^^ Flaaffy 06:13, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
I am glad this is shorted out. Sorry for being snappy Kenji, if that is your pen-name. - Oa