|Welcome to Bulbapedia, EternalDragonX!|
By creating your account you are now able to edit pages, join discussions, and expand the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia. Before you jump in, here are some ground rules:
Thank you, and have a good time editing here!
The Preview Button
Instead of editing a page several times in a row, try using the preview button to make sure your edit looks the way you want it to. It's right next to the Save Page button. Please try it out, so as not to clog up the Recent Changes. Also, if you want to edit multiple sections of the page, make sure that you click "edit this page" at the top of the page rather than editing it by section. Thanks! --Tiddlywinks (talk) 13:09, 14 April 2016 (UTC)
When you post a comment on a talk page, please sign your comment at the end. You can do this by typing four tildes (~) or by clicking the signature button above the edit window. (Please do not re-sign any previous comments, though.) Tiddlywinks (talk) 16:23, 17 April 2016 (UTC)
Use the word "map"
When describing the location of an item in an area, could you please avoid using the word "map", and instead use a word like "route", "floor", "area", or something else appropriate for the nature of the location? Thank you. --FinnishPokéFan92 (talk) 09:39, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- ive been using map the whole time ive been here. now i dont have a problem with not using map, so if you feel like going through every single one of the pages that ive edited using the word map and changing it to something else, please be my guest. otherwise im just going to stick to map for consistency. --EternalDragonX (talk) 20:55, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- I'll fix them if I come up to them. I'd be glad if you could indeed stop using that word, thank you very much. --FinnishPokéFan92 (talk) 06:06, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
Item location descriptions
I've certainly noticed you changing many item location descriptions. It's hard to look over every change you make when you sometimes change so much on a page, but I just noticed the changes you made to Victory Road (Kanto), and I think there are things about them that were a bad idea.
Firstly, I don't think there was any reason to condense the whole area into a single item list. The separate sections for the floors let you easily focus on whichever area you're in and want to explore. If there's just one big list, then I have to find where the floors change. (Not to mention, this problem is worse when we also consider your preference for not listing some items that are on the same floor contiguous with all the other items on that floor.) Reading may not be a terrible chore, exactly, but it's still so much simpler to just skip to a separate list in another section.
Floor sections make things so much cleaner and more manageable (for readers) on large areas like Victory Road. Other areas may not need it if they only have a few items, but that doesn't mean there's no place on any page for separate sections for floors.
Secondly, I noticed that you removed some locational cues. To just explain through an example, you changed the location of Hail from "In the northeast area, near Juggler Gregory" to "southeast of Juggler Gregory". This is a problem, because you can't tell a Trainer's name without battling them, and I may not be able to or want to. "In the northeast" makes it so readers don't have to guess.
More generally it can still be a problem to just use a Trainer as a reference (even if there's only one of that class in the area) because the reader may not know where they are. The area may be so big that they're not sure where to look, and/or they may not be sure what their sprite looks like. Something like "in the northeast area" is a very helpful cue that just decreases the reader's effort for a pretty trivial "cost".
I don't have the energy to examine every item and determine what improvements you may have made to them individually. But in short, I think that the format the page had before was absolutely fine and IMO better.
- first point: sure. we can break the list up into separate sections again. i didnt originally have a strong argument for it anyway, only that this was the first i had EVER seen an item list done this way, so i thot it was inconsistent with every other page.
- second: also fine. ill try to use less trainer-reliant locations from now on. oh and do me a favor and dont just straight up undo my edit to before i condensed the sections together. altho it was a while ago im sure there are still some improvements ive made. ill definitely keep in mind what uve said to me as i redo the list tho. --EternalDragonX (talk) 01:12, 5 October 2018 (UTC)
Please do not continually redo an edit to a page that keeps getting undone. This is called edit warring and is a blockable offense. If you have a disagreement with someone, talk to them about it and leave the page alone.
To speak specifically to Victory Road (Kanto) as well, if you were going to fix it up anyway, there was no reason for you to undo it beforehand. You could either start from what was on the page, or copy what was previously on the page if you found it easier to start from there and paste it in to work on that. (You even saved "your" "final" edit at the same timestamp as you made your last reversion, proving that it should have been thoroughly unnecessary.) Tiddlywinks (talk) 12:58, 6 October 2018 (UTC)
- while i agree it wasnt ABSOLUTELY necessary, it was definitely more work making the page look like its current state from his edit as opposed to mine, so i dont regret undoing his and then making my edit. yes i made my final edit at the same time as my last reversion, because i was working on it after my first reversion, which means all i had to do was copy the final edit and paste it in after my final reversion, which is why it took no time. so it wasnt thoroughly unnecessary --EternalDragonX (talk) 14:43, 6 October 2018 (UTC)
- ooohhhhhhhh you caaaaaaaaan edit it from a previous page. i didnt know you could do that. yeah youre right my bad. i take back what i said. --EternalDragonX (talk) 14:48, 6 October 2018 (UTC)
Could you please cease your aggressive behavior towards Finnish? He has clearly answered your question (his second response) and that he was satisfied with how it was (his second to last response), there was absolutely no need to continue to harass him. The Victory Road edit is on you, and judging by the section above this one, you are aware that you should've made your edit over his edit, not reverse his edit. You aggressiveness, however, is very clear and you should reign it back. If someone isn't answering you on their talk page, go ask an admin for a second opinion. Do not continue to pester that user. Thank you.--ForceFire 03:10, 7 October 2018 (UTC)
Hello, you have been given a one week block due to your behavior towards FinnishPokéFan. While Finnish should've used the talk page, there was absolutely no need to threaten him by saying that you won't leave him alone. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. Abide by the Code of Conduct. Your comments have very clear malice behind it, so I advise you to drop the attitude. If you feel frustrated with another user, please contact a staff member, and we will deal with it. Don't go harassing the user and leaving rude comments. Thank you.--ForceFire 04:56, 26 December 2018 (UTC)