The strategy behind the Wigglytuff archetype is to take advantage of Wigglytuff's "Do the Wave" move. By supplementing their Bench with cards such as Clefairy Doll and Mysterious Fossil, players could increase the damage dealt by Wigglytuff but without much risk as their opponent would not draw a Prize card if the Mysterious Fossil or Clefairy Doll is Knocked Out.
Other strategies for filling up the Bench include cards which allow the player to draw many cards quickly (such as Kangaskhan and Bill) to increase the number of playable Basic Pokémon they have access to; as well as cards which have moves such as Call for Family (including Bellsprout and Nidoran♀), this attack allows the player to search for and populate their Bench with more Pokémon cards of the same species as the user. Once the Bench is full, cards such as Switch may be utilized to quickly make Wigglytuff the Active Pokémon.
- Wigglytuff: The combination of Wigglytuff's high HP (80 HP) and the potential to do 60 damage using Do The Wave (with a full bench) made it the basis of this archetype.
- Clefairy Doll: Clefairy Doll counts as a Benched Pokémon and thus adds power to Do The Wave, but does not award the player's opponent a Prize Card if it is Knocked Out (either due to Gust of Wind or due to the opponent's Pokémon being able to attack the Bench, etc).
- Mysterious Fossil: Like Clefairy Doll, Mysterious Fossil adds power to Do the Wave but does not award a Prize if it is Knocked Out.
- Nidoran♀: Nidoran♀ is useful in this archetype as its "Call for Family" move allows the player to search for either Nidoran♀ or Nidoran♂ to fill up their Bench.
- Challenge!: This Trainer card has two possible outcomes, both of which favour this archetype: either the player fills up their Bench with Basic Pokémon, or they draw two cards, which may lead to obtaining Basic Pokémon or other useful cards.
Possible tech cards
- Mysterious Fossil has the capability to evolve into Omanyte, Kabuto or Aerodactyl. Depending on their preference, a player may choose to evolve their Mysterious Fossils as part of their strategy, or leave them unevolved.
- Recycle: Recycle can be used to retrieve a card from the discard pile and add it back on the top of the player's deck. This can be used to retrieve any Mysterious Fossil or Clefairy Doll cards that have been discarded, among others.