The Official Pokémon Handbook 2
- The title of this article is incorrect because of technical limitations. The correct title is The Official Pokémon Handbook #2.
|The Official Pokémon Handbook #2|
|Author:||Maria S. Barbo|
|Preceded By:||The Official Pokémon Handbook|
|Succeeded By:||The Official Pokémon Handbook 3|
The Official Pokémon Handbook #2 is a handbook in the Official Pokémon Handbook series. It details 33 Generation II Pokémon. It was written by Maria S. Barbo and was published in January 2001 by Scholastic.
Stock artwork of each Pokémon is the main focus of its entry page. Underneath the picture is a short description about the Pokémon similar to a Pokédex entry. Occasionally, a page will also contain a "Pokédex Pick," which is additional information about the Pokémon, often an anecdote about the Pokémon's appearance in the anime.
The sidebar of each entry contains the following stats:
- Name pronunciation
- Height (in inches and feet)
- Weight (in pounds)
- Techniques (the basic and most commonly used moves of that Pokémon)
- Evolution (either "(Pokémon) evolves into (Evolution)" or "(Pokémon) Does Not Evolve")
Not all moves in a Pokémon's learnset are listed, nor are TM moves or Egg moves that they can learn. The levels at which Pokémon learn their moves are not revealed.
At the very bottom of an entry is an evolutionary chain to show what the Pokémon evolves into or from. Pokémon that do not evolve (or have evolutions that have not been revealed) do not show an evolution chain. If a Pokémon evolves into or is the evolved form of a Generation II Pokémon which was not revealed in this book, the sidebar entry will say "(Pokémon) evolves into a new Pokémon".
At the beginning of the book there is an introductory chapter titled "A Word From Professor Oak". The chapter describes the premise of the handbook and of the Pokémon world in general (this information is largely influenced by anime canon). There are also organized lists of Pokémon by type (dual-type Pokémon are given dual-type listings, often causing a list heading to contain only one Pokémon).
At the end of the book, there are some anime screenshots from the Orange Islands and Johto Journeys anime series which depict Pokémon revealed in the book. A picture of Suicune is also shown in this section, labeled as a "mysterious Pokémon". The last two pages contain a checklist of all the Generation I Pokémon and the 33 new Pokémon (despite the fact that the 33 Generation II Pokémon are unobtainable in Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow and the list is far from complete if used for the Gold and Silver versions).
- Togepi is the only Pokémon in this book that also has an entry in The Official Pokémon Handbook's Deluxe Collector's Edition. The information about it is more detailed in this book, however, as the first book's entry was completely anime-based.
- Marill's page accidentally refers to it as "Mareep" in its description.
In other languages
|This book article is part of Project Merchandise, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on all Pokémon toys, dolls, books, and collectible merchandise.|