What happens if I use Thief on a Wi-Fi battle? Do I keep my opponent's Pokémon Item? And can I use it after the battle? Portuguese Old Man 16:11, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
- I don't think you can keep it, as I believe items reset state after battle to prevent loss of rare items and such. Gywall(Talk) 11:40, 25 June 2008 (UTC)
what if you knock out the pokemon with this attack, do you still get the item that the foe was holding?Darkcloud1111 08:03, 31 August 2008 (UTC)Darkcloud1111
- Yes, I tried this at Rubin and Gold-Edition. It would be nice to have a list here, which thing you can steal where. I think this is also important for the Trick_(move) and the Covet_(move). I like to make a list of items, which can be stolen and how great is the rate. I know some things so fare: Slowpoke: about 5% rate for getting a king-stone at Gold-edition and at rubin you get:
Numel, Vulpix: RAWST BERRY (about 80% ?) Sandscrew: Quick Claw (rate probably under 10% about 10 killed and 1 get) Linoone (wild) , Picatchu (from Trainer): Oran Berry (about 50% ?), Linoone: Sitrus Berry (about or under 10%) Duskull: Spell Tag (about 10% ...so fare 30 killed 3 get) Spinda, Whismur: CHESTO BERRY (probably less then 10% killed lots, got one)
Blablubbb 11:02, 6 September 2008 (UTC)
Will Thief work against an NPC? Like if I were to steal Red's Pikachu's Light Ball? --Fsilone90 04:57, 8 October 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah. —darklordtrom 05:31, 8 October 2010 (UTC)
The article doesn't mention the certainty of stealing a held item in Gen IV. Is it the same as Gen III, or do we not know? Jazzmoth 00:01, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
Success rate of Thief
Wild pokemon's held items.
Would it be useful to create a page to compile them all in a list? As far as I know, you still have to go to each pokemon's page to check. For pre-V generations, the page could list notable NPCs with held items as well. PLA 11:15, 16 April 2011 (UTC)
- List of Pokémon by wild held item, I think the name needs to be changed though, it's too hard to find. Pikiwyn talk 11:22, 16 April 2011 (UTC)
- If anything, make redirects to it rather than move it. Regardless, it's one of those pages you are linked to rather than search for, due to being a list. --SnorlaxMonster 11:35, 16 April 2011 (UTC)
Gen III theft rate
I know for a fact it's not 100%. In later games, it might steal the item 100% of the time, but that wasn't the case in Gen III. I've had to Thief twice on Luvdisc before to get a heartscale, but the miss rate is incredibly low. Like, critical hit low. Luna Tiger * the Arc Toraph 15:50, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
What about the drives? I guess they also can not be stolen? The same with Covet? --- Pokémon Questions? -- 18:42, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
Does anyone know if the damage calculation happens before or after taking the oponents item. For example if I used thief on an eviolite holder, would they have their increased defenses, or will I do greater damage? - unsigned comment from 5hoo (talk • contribs)
Does anyone know if you have a Dark Gem equipped and use Thief, does it use the gem and steal the item, or just use the gem? Same with Covet and Normal Gem? I cannot seem to find this info anywhere. Myzou (talk) 00:48, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
It's only trivia, and the page makes it obvious, but the current wording of the trivia suggests that Minccino learning thief is the error, not Cinccino being unable to learn it. I'm working on a better phrasing, but the sentence is kind of annoying to word (probably hence its current form).TheHateHat (talk) 04:08, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
Apparently, Klefki gets Thief as an Egg Move.
Regarding the Griseous Orb and Giratina
Thief/Covet are "Non-damaging" moves?
So it turns out that, for the purposes of Me First, some quirk in coding makes Thief and Covet not register as damaging moves--try to use Me First on someone using thief, and it will fail. (Tested and found correct in gen 5). Anyone know what gives, and/or if there are any other moves with this problem? Harumei (talk) 16:48, 24 August 2015 (UTC)
Pokemon Colosseum: Shadow Pokemon with Hold Items
I have tried to use thief on other trainers' Shadow Pokemon before. Once you catch them, they have hold items like Qwilfish's poison barb and Meditite's Twistedspoon. However, when using thief on them, their item is not taken. Do they only acquire these items after you catch them? Or are they just not thievable? Or is it a greater part of a gen 3-less than 100% thief rate?