Iwanko is probably based on the Hawaiian Poi. Historically (though it may be legend, I'm no expert), Pois were raised alongside children; if they outlived the child, the dog was killed and buried with them. Otherwise when the poi died the child would be given a charm necklace made from its teeth, as poi teeth are thought to be good luck charms.
- That's a very possible source of inspiration, but I think we still need more information before we put that in the page. Paᗧ•••ᗣck 15:04, 2 July 2016 (UTC)
- While Rockruff does seem to borrow inspiration from the Hawaiian Poi regarding its collar, it is not primarily based off of it. Rather, it is based off of the Kurī, a dog that is sometimes confused for the Poi dog. Rockruff has perky, folded ears and a fluffy tail like the Kurī, whereas the Poi (going off of the one photograph I could find of it) has a slender tail (and shorter hair in general), and somewhat flopped but perky ears.
Could someone please add this to the in other languages section?
|ru=Рокрафф Rokraff|rumeaning=Transcription of English name
- I think that should be added. Since that meaning makes perfect sense. And I think that this meaning fits more than the dog sound one too, since 'Wuff' and 'Woof' are comparatively more popular than 'Ruff' as dog sound. But both the meanings should be added for the sake of clarity. The legendary PkmnTrainerV is Here! (talk) 11:10, 22 September 2016 (UTC)
Just noticed that Lycanroc's forms are version-exclusive. Does that make Rockruff the only Pokemon whose evolutionary method (day or night) and result (midday/midnight Lycanroc) is game-dependent? (Aside: I haven't completed Pokemon Sun yet, there are still more Pokemon I don't know.) --Stratelier 02:57, 8 December 2016 (UTC)
- They're not technically version-exclusive, since both forms can be found rarely in the grass late in the game. As for the second part of your question, no, Rockruff isn't the only one. There's another, but in case you want to avoid spoilers, I won't say it here. If you want to know what it is, click here; if not, don't click or hover over that link. :) Pumpkinking0192 (talk) 03:19, 8 December 2016 (UTC)
Breeding the Event Rockruff
- Yes, it can be bred and pass down the Own Tempo Ability (and the capability to evolve into Dusk Lycanroc). The only limitation on Own Tempo Rockruff, to my knowledge, is that it can't be Wonder Traded, because that could lead to it accidentally ending up in a copy of the original Sun/Moon. Pumpkinking0192 (talk) 20:38, 15 January 2018 (UTC)