Source on evolution method?
Last time I checked, corocoro was vague about this hounds evolution. One page stated that it was time-based, the other suggested (and only suggested) that it was game based. However, I can not read Japanese, but I never saw any translated clarification on this. If you can verify it was not directly stated, please add a note that the method in unconfirmed if it was not directly stated that the forms are game-exclusive. I would imagine it is possible they show midday in Sun, and midnight in Moon just because it is a childrens game and most users will be playing mostly during the day. It does not seem confirmed, only vaguely implied. Puerluna (talk) 07:21, 15 September 2016 (UTC)
- It was outright stated that each of the form would be exclusive to their respective games in CoroCoro, i.e. Midday in Sun and Midnight in Moon. See here. --超龍「Chao」 08:26, 15 September 2016 (UTC)
- I thought all that was was showing one form being obtained in one game and the other form in the other game- more a demonstration of the 12-hour difference and the evolution depending on time of day? - unsigned comment from Missingno. Master (talk • contribs) 06:33, 16 September 2016 (UTC)
Why not place those artworks of Rugarugan just like gender differences, like Meowstic, together, since there isn't a more important form of the two, or more regularly appearing one. Lokki (talk) 18:38, 15 September 2016 (UTC)
Some Wrong Things On the Biology Section...
There are some wrong descriptions in the biology section. I can't edit the page now, so I'd better list them here. 1. In the Rugarugan (Midday)'s section, the page says that the four rocks in its fur, and the nose are black, which is wrong. It's a dark shade of brown. (I checked that while sketching Rugarugan with the colour picker on my iPad, and that's definitely not Black)
2. From the Rugarugan Midnight's Section: "..and a strip of red fur runs between its eyes, which glow red..." I'm SURE that isn't fur. It can be just eyes glowing. But definitely not fur. The legendary PkmnTrainerV is Here! (talk) 10:18, 18 September 2016 (UTC)
- I agree, the nose on Midday form is the same shade of brown as the claws and rocks, while the eyes are actually glowing in the Midnight form.Animaltamer712:01, 18 September 2016 (UTC)
I'd like to add that the mane design for Midday Lycanroc resembles a sun (the tufts and collar spikes spread out like rays) while Midnight's resembles a crescent moon (the mohawk bit arches over in that shape). The furry bit with the rib-spikes might be shaped like that too. It's not really a mistake, but it could help with minimising the text a little? Idk
- I would like to take a moment to point out that the text does refer to glowing eyes. It's not the very best wording, but the sentence is referring to the eyes glowing, not the fur. Crystal Talian 14:31, 1 October 2016 (UTC)
- On that fur part... I just noticed it. Sorry, the wording made me believe that it is the fur that glows red.
- Lycan may have a distinct meaning, but it's not really a "word" (except insofar as fantasy settings may have established it as a "unique" name for werewolves—which still derives directly from "lycanthrope"). That'd be like saying "pre" is a word, or "geo" (as in geology or geography). It isn't. But in any case, for Lycanroc's name, it very plainly isn't just about wolves; it's about werewolves, lycanthrope in whole, which already very explicitly and recognizably involves wolves. We don't need to try to wedge in "lycan" all by itself. Tiddlywinks (talk) 06:49, 21 September 2016 (UTC)
Hungarian name and name origin
Midday form is called Déli Forma and Midnight form is called Éjféli Forma in Hungarian could someone in the staff please add this?
Also might Lycanroc come from the frase "Like a rock" but with an n in there so it would be "Like an rock", I know that it's faulty grammar but still is it plausible or is it too Farfetch'd? --Raltseye prata med mej 12:28, 22 September 2016 (UTC)
Polish form names
- No, it has different forms. Tiddlywinks (talk) 17:04, 5 October 2016 (UTC)
- Shouldn't we then split up Gastrodon's art into two images? It has different forms as well, West Sea and East Sea. In fact, the file history for Gastrodon's art shows old revisions with the two forms in different positions relative to each other — i.e., it seems to be the case that these are two separate pieces of art that someone put together in one image, then someone else put together again in a slightly repositioned image. I think we should be using the art separately for Gastrodon, if that's the case. Pumpkinking0192 (talk) 19:05, 5 October 2016 (UTC)
Trivia - Origin
Midday Lycanroc's design seems to incorporate a roccale or "wolf collar" - a collar with spikes in it, designed to protect herding dogs from predatory bites to the neck. It's probably a stretch to suggest that the "roc" in its name could also refer to a roccale, but the design is probably worth noting. ... come to think on it, this might also apply to Rockruff as well. Luprand (talk) 23:53, 4 December 2016 (UTC)
Since Rockruff is based on a spitz, I believe Lycanroc's forms resemble the Shikoku breed most. In particular, Midday matches the Hongawa line and Midnight fits the Hata as described in this article's fifth paragraph. Just like Lycanroc is based on werewolves, Shikoku are called Japanese Wolfdogs. Look up photos and see how the dark and light varieties of Shikoku coats match each Lycanroc form. Shall I add this origin? --—TheVeryBest 20:48, 7 December 2016 (UTC)
regarding this part of the article
In Pokémon Sun, Rockruff evolves into Midday Form Lycanroc when leveled up in the day.
In Pokémon Moon, Rockruff evolves into Midnight Form Lycanroc when leveled up at night.
Dusk Form Lycanroc coloration
This has been discussed before, but with the introduction of Dusk forme I feel that it should be talked about it again. The different Lycanroc formes are distinct from each other, not just cosmetic changes. There is no official 'initial' form like with Rotom or Wishiwashi, and no way to swap formes such as with Oricorio or Zygarde.
As such, they should they should get equal visibility in the artwork image. We already have a precedent for this with Basculin, Meowstic, and Aegislash. The Midday and Midnight images should be fused into one single image, with Dusk below that. Once the official artwork for Dusk is realeased, it should join them.
I'd change the image myself, but I presently do not have clearance to upload images. Would someone with the appropriate permissions please consider editing this? ImNotGoodAtPasswords (talk) 00:26, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- If you want an official order, there is one: the Pokedex puts Midday before Midnight.
- I would also argue that combining forms into one image may not be our best idea. When you do that, you lose the explicit captions under each form's image, opening up the possibility that someone may get confused about which one is which form. Especially if you're talking about three forms. Also: three Pokemon in one image is crowded IMO.
- I'm not entirely sure how Oricorio (or some one of the other dozens of Pokemon with forms) is okay but Lycanroc isn't, but it's just a flaw of our presentation—and a minor one. I mean, if you really want to complain, I'd suggest that Pokemon.com's Lycanroc entry is much "worse", since it doesn't even show the other forms by default. (In short...it's not a big deal.) Tiddlywinks (talk) 00:49, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- To me, the Pokedex you linked is not a good indicator as to which forme is 'dominant', seeing as how it also hides the secondary formes of the other Pokemon I've previously mentioned. I've also already stated why Lycanroc should be handled differently than the other Pokemon with forme changes in my original post.
- The way I see it, the wiki should be consistent with itself when possible. Either Lycanroc and Wormadam should have their images combined, or Basculin, Meowstic, Aegislash, and Gastrodon should have their images split. I've already given my reasoning as to why it should be the former, but if you and other users truly feel that the images should stay split, could you at least go and fix the other articles as well? ImNotGoodAtPasswords (talk) 01:07, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- I didn't link the Pokemon.com Pokedex as a reference for that order, but it is still very official. Regardless, in this particular case, it definitely matches the in-game Pokedex (I did check before myself).
- You gave a reason, but it's not logical to me. The fact that Oricorio can change forms doesn't make any sense to me as a justification for it being "okay" for Oricorio to have one form more prominent (whereas Lycanroc isn't okay). If you ask me, being able to change forms would just mean that all forms are equal and none should be most prominent.
- I also don't see how you can say that combining Lycanroc (who you say is not just a cosmetic difference) would be consistent when Gastrodon is also combined (which is just a cosmetic difference). Tiddlywinks (talk) 01:29, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- If you feel that the Oricorio and Gastrodon pages are not consistent, I implore you to fix them as well. I just want the wiki to have a uniform attitude on the topic moving forward.
- I take it neither of us will be changing our stance on this any time soon, so it seems that we're at a bit of an impasse. Hopefully a third party could come along and settle this, but I guess we'll just be sticking with the status quo for now. Thank you. ImNotGoodAtPasswords (talk) 01:42, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
(resetting indent) My two cents: I'm agnostic on this particular page, but I strongly agree with INGAP that we need to have a better reasoning than inertia for which ones are treated in which way. Whatever can be devised, I'm cool with, but we do need some kind of reasoning. As it is, I can see no apparent similarity between Basculin, Meowstic, Aegislash and Gastrodon to justify their being treated the same way, much less a reason for that way to be different than how every other set of forms is treated. Pumpkinking0192 (talk) 02:10, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
Polish name for Dusk Form
Dusk Form Lycanroc for Main Image
I propose that since the first two forms of Lycanroc are version exclusives, and the Dusk Form can be obtained in both games, we should make Dusk the primary (large) image on the page and have Midday and Midnight as the secondary and tertiary images (unlike current, where Midday is the primary image, and Midnight & Dusk are secondary and tertiary.) Anyone agree? "Mrawr." - Unusual Venusaur (talk) 01:02, 28 January 2018 (UTC)