Sun & Moon series(Redirected from Sun and Moon series)
| It has been suggested that this article be moved to .|
Please discuss whether or not to move it on its .
- This article is about the sixth series of the anime. For the series of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, see Pokémon Trading Card Game → Sun & Moon Series. For other uses, see Sun and Moon.
Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon (Japanese: ポケットモンスター サン＆ムーン Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon), referred to by fans as the Sun & Moon series, is the sixth series of the Pokémon anime and is based on the events of the Generation VII core series Pokémon games. It follows the XY series and will be succeeded by the new series. It premiered on November 17, 2016 in Japan and on May 12, 2017 in the United States, although the first two episodes aired as a sneak peek in the United States on December 5, 2016.
Ash Ketchum heads off to a new region, Alola, wearing a new set of clothes with his partner Pikachu. Unlike the five previous series, however, Ash doesn't travel through the region. Instead, he becomes a student at the Pokémon School on Melemele Island, where he meets his new classmates Lana, Lillie, Mallow, Sophocles, and Kiawe. Ash receives a Z-Ring and takes on the island challenge to get new Z-Crystals and qualify as a Z-Move user. The Sun & Moon series is notable for Ash's friends not being present in every episode. Also, characters are usually seen keeping their Pokémon out of their Poké Balls in this series.
A new art style is implemented for the third series in a row, this time more drastically than the series that preceded it. With this new style, characters are drawn with a much more exaggerated, rounded, "cartoony" style. Despite the new style, Sun & Moon took a more mature approach to storytelling. The subject of death was dealt with directly, with some Pokémon being seen dying, as well as showing a main character dealing with the death of a parent (as opposed to the usual instance of absent parents almost never being mentioned). The show also had a large reduction in the amount of "characters of the day", with many reappearing after their debuts.
New adventure for Ash and Pikachu has started!
This new adventure takes place in the Alola region, full of nature. What awaits Ash and Pikachu in Alola, surrounded by an endless expanse of blue sky and seas? New Pokémon, new frinds, and new experiences… An adventure filled with aell sorts of new things begins at last! Ash also has a new look. Stay tuned for new adventures!
Let’s go! Full power! On a great adventure!!
Like the XY series, when the Sun & Moon series came to be dubbed into English and other languages, it was localized as a whole. So far, while it is still divided into three seasons, they share a common title:
- Main article: Pokémon movie → Sun & Moon series
- This is the only series in which:
- Ash's outfit doesn't consist of a jacket, hoodie, or gloves.
- Ash doesn't challenge Gyms for Badges.
- Ash doesn't have a Gym Leader as a traveling companion.
- Ash keeps his Pokédex outside of his pocket.
- Not all of Ash's friends appear in every episode despite being a main character.
- All of Ash's friends own a walking Pokémon.
- Ash does not catch all of his starter Pokémon consecutively (of the series in which he catches more than one).
- Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny are not distributed by city, with only one Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny per island instead.
- None of its movies (M20, M21, and M22) take place in the same timeline or region as that of the anime, or introduce any Pokémon from a future generation.
- Other main characters besides Ash, members of a villainous team, and a Pokémon Professor participate as competitors in a regional League Conference.
- Ash is the winner of a League Conference.
- Every Pokémon introduced in the concurrent generation has made an appearance in the series they were introduced in the main series of the anime.
- Out of all the series, this has the most:
- Human protagonists, with a total of six.
- Walking Pokémon, with a total of eight.
- Recurring wild Pokémon, with a total of at least 28.
- This is the first series:
- Where Ash has returned to Kanto in the middle of a regional journey.
- To feature in-person appearances by Misty and Jigglypuff since the Advanced Generation series, and Brock since the Diamond & Pearl series.
- To have an episode banned in the English dub since the original.
- To contain more episodes than the previous series.
- In which a starter Pokémon owned by one of Ash's friends fully evolves before any of the starter Pokémon owned by Ash from the same region.
- This is the last series:
- Like the Advanced Generation series, one of Misty's reappearance arcs takes place in Kanto and one in the region that is the series' current setting.
- Two of Ash's Pokémon captures in this series marked three notable firsts for his team (not counting temporary captures):
- Ash took longer to catch a full team of six Pokémon in this series than any other. He caught his sixth Pokémon when his previously released Naganadel, then a Poipole, rejoined his team in SM141.
- This is the last series to air in the Heisei period, and the first series to air in the Reiwa period.
In other languages
|Arabic||بوكيمون الشمس والقمر Pokémon Alshams Walqamar|
|Chinese||Cantonese||精靈寶可夢 太陽＆月亮 Jīnglìhng Pokémon Taaiyèuhng yúh Yuhtleuhng|
|Mandarin||精靈寶可夢 太陽＆月亮 / 精灵宝可梦 太阳＆月亮 Jīnglíng Pokémon Tàiyáng yǔ Yuèliàng|
|Danish||Pokémon Serien: Sol og Måne|
|Dutch||Pokémon de Serie: Zon & Maan|
|Finnish||Pokémon-sarja: Sun & Moon|
|European French||Pokémon, la série : Soleil et Lune|
|German||Pokémon – Die TV-Serie: Sonne & Mond|
|Hebrew||פוקימון - הסדרה: שמש וירח Pokémon - Ha'Sidra - Shemesh Ve'Yarehakh|
|Italian||Serie Pokémon Sole e Luna|
|Korean||포켓몬스터 썬&문 Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon|
|Norwegian||Pokémon-serien: Sol og Måne|
|Polish||Pokémon: Słońce i Księżyc|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Pokémon, a série: Sol e Lua|
|Portugal||Pokémon, a série: Sol e Lua|
|Romanian||Pokémon: Serialul - Soarele și Luna|
|Russian||Покемон Сериал: Солнце и Луна Pokémon Serial: Solntse i Luna|
|Spanish||Latin America||La serie Pokémon: Sol y Luna|
|Spain||Serie Pokémon Sol y Luna|
|Swedish||Pokémon Serien: Sol & Måne|
|Thai||โปเกมอน ซัน แอนด์ มูน Pokémon Sun and Moon|
|Turkish||Pokémon: Güneş ve Ay|
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|