* It is the only localized game prior to [[Generation III]] to lack the [[Gotta catch 'em all!|slogan]] below the Pokémon logo.
* This is the only core series game influenced heavily by the anime.
* The starter Pikachu had its [[cry]] changed to that of its anime counterpart for this game. [[Junichi Masuda]] details the modification of [[Ikue Ohtani]]'s voice to a sound capable of being made by the low-tech [[Game Boy]] in his [https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=144 Director's Column]. However this change is exclusive to this one specimen and not the entire species, as other Pikachu (unless hacked to have the current player's [[Original Trainer]] ID and name)
, as well as the species' Pokédex entry, use the original cry.
* Prior to the Virtual Console release announcement, [[Pokémon.com]] listed Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow with a PEGI rating of 3.<ref>[http://archive.is/8EFqK Pokémon™ Yellow Special Pikachu Edition | Video Games | Pokemon.com] (archive)</ref>
* The boxarts for [[Pokémon Red and Blue Versions|Pokémon Red]], Pokémon Yellow and [[Pokémon Gold and Silver Versions|Pokémon Silver]] are the only three instances where the English ''Pokémon'' logo is shown partially covered by some element (in this case, Pikachu's ears).