Ruby & Sapphire arc (Adventures)
|Ruby & Sapphire|
Ruby, Sapphire, Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza
The Ruby & Sapphire arc (Japanese: ルビー・サファイア編 Ruby & Sapphire arc), also referred to as The Fourth Chapter (Japanese: 第四章 The Fourth Chapter), is the fourth story arc of the Pokémon Adventures manga, consisting of eight volumes. It is the second longest completed arc of the series, behind the Gold, Silver & Crystal arc. It began serialization in December 2002, and ended in August 2006.
This arc features the journeys of Ruby and Sapphire who are trying to conquer all the Pokémon Contests and Gyms in Hoenn respectively within the span of 80 days. However, this gets interrupted by two new evil organizations, the land-loving Team Magma and the sea-loving Team Aqua. Sapphire and Ruby have to worry about something else, too: their feelings for each other.
- Main article: List of Pokémon Adventures omnibus volumes
The Ruby & Sapphire arc was originally planned for a 2011 release as part of Shogakukan's "My First Wide" series of omnibus volumes. The Ruby & Sapphire arc was chosen due to its high popularity in Japan. A total of three volumes were planned. After the first volume was released, the series was discontinued due to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.
In 2014, another omnibus release was announced for the arc in commemoration of the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. The volumes were released under Shogakukan's "My First Series" brand, which are bargain-priced volumes sold only in Japanese convenience stores. A total of four volumes were released, beginning with first volume on October 24, 2014.
An English language omnibus release was announced by Shogakukan Asia in early 2015 under the title "Pokémon Adventures: Ruby & Sapphire". This release will consist of four total volumes, the first of which was released in January.
A three-volume omnibus release of the Ruby & Sapphire arc has also begun in France, starting from December 2014.
- Ruby moves from Johto to Hoenn and runs away from home.
- Ruby meets Sapphire and they receive their starter Pokémon. After this they arrange a bet.
- Norman grants Ruby's wish and lets him compete in Pokémon Contests.
- Team Aqua stops the volcanic activity at Mt. Chimney.
- Team Magma blows the Rusturf Tunnel up.
- The two villainous teams decide to cooperate and travel to Seafloor Cavern together.
- Kyogre and Groudon are awakened and start destroying the region.
- Norman and Wally awaken Rayquaza.
- Ruby and Sapphire stop Maxie and Archie.
- Ruby and Sapphire achieve their goals.
- Giovanni finds the Red and Blue Orbs that have been transformed into gems.
The following Pokémon are obtained:
- Ruby's Mudkip, Mumu (PS183)
- Sapphire's Donphan, Phando (PS205)
- Ruby's Feebas, Feefee (PS208)
- Ruby's Castform, Fofo (PS211)
- Sapphire's Relicanth, Relly (PS236)
- Ruby's Plusle (PS256)
- Sapphire's Minun (PS256)
The following Pokémon evolve:
- Sapphire's Torchic into Combusken (PS195)
- Sapphire's Aron into Lairon (PS195)
- Ruby's Skitty into Delcatty (PS196)
- Ruby's Poochyena into Mightyena (PS196)
- Ruby's Mudkip into Marshtomp (PS200)
- Sapphire's Combusken into Blaziken (PS226)
- Ruby's Marshtomp into Swampert (PS231)
- Sapphire's Lairon into Aggron (PS256)
- Ruby's Ralts into Kirlia (PS258)
- Ruby's Feebas into Milotic (PS266)
Gym Battles and Pokémon Contests
Sapphire defeats the following Gym Leaders:
- Roxanne (PS191)
- Brawly (PS197)
- Wattson (PS205)
- Flannery (PS216)
- Winona (PS231)
- Tate and Liza (PS257)
- Juan (PS257)
- Norman (PS267)
- This is the first completed arc to not include former main characters, although Red has several cameos.
- Ruby and Sapphire's bet was likely based on the novel Around the World in Eighty Days, by Jules Verne, in which a man takes a wager to circumnavigate the globe in a mere 80 days.
- When this arc was being published in the magazines later, it was known as the Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald arc (Japanese: ルビー ・ サファイア ・ エメラルド編 Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald chapter).
|This article is part of Project Manga, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each series of Pokémon manga.|