Raging Rhydon (Japanese: VS サイドン VS Sidon) is the seventh chapter of the Pokémon Adventures manga.
At the entrance to one of the caverns of Mt. Moon, several Team Rocket Grunts report that there has been no sign of the Moon Stone. Through their radio, they're told to continue the search and forcefully stop anyone foolish enough to try and interfere with their work.
Red and Misty finally reach their way to the entrance of Mt. Moon, suddenly ducking down into the grass as they spot the Team Rocket Grunts further up ahead. They identify them as members of Team Rocket based on their uniform, leading them to wonder about their next moves. They both sneak through the grass, into the caverns of Mt. Moon.
The cave proves too dark to navigate, as they stumble past several Pokémon. Red calls out Pika, who, despite being a little irritated, helps illuminate the cave, allowing them to take a much quicker pace. As Red is walking backwards while talking with Misty, he bumps into a large rock, which quickly reveals itself to be a Team Rocket member's Rhyhorn. They are both quickly surrounded by Koga and numerous Team Rocket Grunts. Koga asks who Red is, who responds by challenging him to a battle on the spot.
Koga leads with Rock Throw, burying Pika under a large pile of rocks. Pika recovers, jumping out of the pile and launches a sphere of electrified debris towards Rhyhorn, knocking it out in one shot. Koga laughs, injecting Rhyhorn with a syringe filled with liquid, causing it to immediately evolve into Rhydon. Misty and Red are both left stunned, leaving Misty to wonder if Koga is responsible for what happened to her Gyarados. Koga brushes her off, saying he can't be bothered to remember every Pokémon they experiment on.
Misty, infuriated, calls out Staryu and attacks Rhydon with a blast of water, which seems to be effective until Koga orders Horn Drill, redirecting the water back at them, slamming Misty into the cave wall, causing her to faint. Red promises to take revenge, commanding Pika to attack, but gets easily pinned under Rhydon's foot. Koga orders a final attack, but Pika is able to slide away, charged with electricity. Using his tail, Pika cuts off a huge portion off the cave roof, blocking the cave and allowing Red a chance to escape with the others.
Outside the cave, Misty regains consciousness, and punches Red in the face for allowing her to get covered in dirt. Afterwards, Red brags about winning his battle with Koga, Misty brushing off his story as they weren't able to retrieve the Moon Stone. Red beams, showing her that he found it after the cave collapsed. They continue running off towards Cerulean City, Red cheerfully exclaiming that he's going to use it.
- For a list of all major events in the Pokémon Adventures manga, please see the history page.
|Spoilers end here.|
- The evolution of Koga's Rhyhorn into Rhydon is the first evolution shown in the manga. Unlike in the games and anime, the Pokémon transforms instead of glowing.
- In the VIZ Media second edition print, Rock Throw is called Rock Blast, and isn't to be confused with the move of the same name introduced in Generation III.
- In the VIZ Media and Chuang Yi releases, this chapter contains mentions of Mickey Mouse and Tom Sawyer, which are not present in the Japanese version.
- In the VIZ Media first edition print, Misty hits Red accusing him of groping her as a result of him carrying her out of Mt. Moon after they escape. This is changed to her being angry that she's dirty in the second.
In other languages
|Mandarin Chinese||VS 鐵甲暴龍 (Taiwan)|
VS 铁甲暴龙 (Mainland China)
|Finnish||Red vastaan Rhydon|
À la recherche de la Pierre Lune*
Il furioso Rhydon*
|Brazilian Portuguese||VS Rhydon|
|European Spanish||Contra Rhydon|
|This article is part of Project Manga, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each series of Pokémon manga.|