(Japanese: ポケットモンスター Pocket Monsters), referred to by fans as the new series (Japanese: 新シリーズ new series), is the seventh series of the Pokémon anime and is based on the events of all of the core series Pokémon games, including the Generation VIII games Pokémon Sword and Shield. It follows the Sun & Moon series. It will premiere on November 17, 2019 in Japan, although the first episode will be shown at a special screening two days earlier on November 15.
The series will feature "double protagonists" Ash Ketchum and Go, along with their partners Pikachu and Scorbunny. It also features a young girl named Koharu, who has a Yamper, and her father, Professor Sakuragi, who runs the Sakuragi Institute in Vermilion City. It will feature all regions that have appeared in the Pokémon games, from Kanto to Galar. Pokémon from each region will also appear. This series shares its name with the original series when the anime first premiered in 1997.
A new art style is implemented for the fourth series in a row.
- The design of the Japanese logo of the series is shared with M20 and M21, which were set in an alternate continuity to the main series.
- This makes it the first series logo to not have any shade of green, being completely blue instead. It is also the first one without any 3D perspective, having a flat 2D design.
- This is the first series:
- To be set in more than two game-original regions.
- To fully air in the Reiwa period.
- In which Ash's outfit is not directly influenced by the male player character's outfit for the concurrent generation since the Advanced Generation series.
- To not be entirely based around the corresponding generation of games.
- Official site (Japanese)
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|