List of Pokémon icons (Generations I–II)
This is the list of Pokémon icon sprites in core series games from Generations I and II.
In Generations I and II, these Pokémon sprites appear as:
- Pokémon in the player's party
- Pokémon in the nickname text entry screen
- Pokémon in the trade animations
- Some wild Pokémon from in-game events in the overworld (such as the wild Snorlax and Mewtwo in Generation I, or the wild Lapras and Sudowoodo in Generation II)
- Pokémon in the Day Care (Generation II only)
- Some other Pokémon in the overworld (such as the Jigglypuff in Pewter City's Pokémon Center, or the Poliwrath near the Celadon Condominiums)
- Copycat's Pokémon dolls
- Some Pokémon dolls available to the player (Generation II only)
- The fossil sprites in Mt. Moon (Generation I only)
- The item ball and starter Poké Ball sprite (Generation I only)
- The starter Pikachu following the player (Pokémon Yellow only)
- Fly used outside of battle
- Surf used outside of battle
- Celadon Game Corner slot icons
In Generations I and II, these sprites are not yet found at the Pokémon Storage System, unlike in later generations.
In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, the Pokémon icons from Pokémon Red and Blue appear as portraits in Alfornada.
List of icons
Generation I games
In Pokemon Red, Green and Blue there are 10 unique Pokémon icons, internally numbered from 0 to 9.
In Pokemon Yellow, Pikachu and Raichu get a new eleventh icon ( → ), and the icons are numbered from 0 to 10.
Generation II games
In Generation II, there are 38 unique Pokémon icons. They are internally numbered from 1 to 38, unlike the previous generation, which started from from 0. There are also some additional Pokémon sprites that are only seen in the overworld.
In this generation, the Pokémon seen in the overworld such as the in-game event wild Lapras, Sudowoodo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, etc. have their own color palettes, but once caught they all share the same color palette, as seen in the party, nickname, and trade screens.
In Pokémon Gold and Silver, the Legendary beasts appear together in the overworld as three identical sprites, each with their own color palette before they are caught. In Pokémon Crystal, they appear in the overworld as the three separate sprites , but once caught they still use only the sprite.
In Pokémon Crystal, Celebi appears in the overworld with the sprite in the Ilex Forest event, but once caught it appears as the sprite.
Some Generation II icons are based on similar icons from Generation I slots:
- are based on from slots in Pokémon Blue
- is based on from slots in Pokémon Red
- are based on from slots in Pokémon Green
- In the Generation I games, Rhyhorn, Slowpoke, and Magikarp are the only Pokémon that change their icon upon evolution.
- All 12 Pokémon with the icon in Generation I have the icon in Generation II.