It's Super Effective (podcast)
| It's Super Effective|
|"What's up, everybody?"|
It's Super Effective logo
|Run||Podcast||July 2010 - Present|
|Website||July 2010 - Present|
|Podcast debuted||July 26, 2010|
|Website opened||July 24, 2010 (as PokémonPodcast.com)|
|Creator(s)||Steve Black Jr.|
|Host(s)||Steve Black Jr. et al.|
|Number of Episodes||260+|
It's Super Effective is a Pokémon-focused podcast hosted by Steve Black Jr., also known by his initials SBJ. It is the flagship show of PKMNcast.com, which began as pokemonpodcast.com. It's Super Effective began on July 26, 2010, two days after the launch of the website.
At August 1, 2016 It's Super Effective celebrated its sixth birthday, and meant a redesign for the website as well as a new logo.
- Introduction - The cast members talk about their own lives, and specifically avoid talking about Pokémon.
- News - The hosts discuss recent Pokémon-related news.
- ExtremeSpeed - Steve and occasionally another cast member grill another cast member (usually a new guest) with a string of questions, usually pertaining to a personal preference between two types, Pokémon, or items.
- Featured Team - Steve and the cast give comments and constructive criticism on a listener's submitted team of Pokémon. Steve has said that this is reminiscent of a similar feature in Nintendo Power magazines he read in his childhood.
- Pokémon of the Week - The cast discuss one particular Pokémon. This used to be accompanied by articles on the website. The discussion often includes facts about the Pokémon, trivia, competitive strategies, and a critique of the Shiny coloration.
- Item of the Week - The cast discuss a specific item for sale on pokemoncenter.com.
Pokémon community guests
These people have made an appearances on the show, either as a co-host or as an interviewee.
- D'Andre Siggas ("Black Man Loves Pokémon" viral video)
- Christopher Niosi (Khoury's English dub voice actor)
- eSeamus of Bouncing Wailord
- Liam Pomfret (Archaic)
- Alexandra Salas (Kasumi)
- Joe Merrick (Serebii)
- Jake Paque (Professor Sycamore's English dub voice actor)
- Allegra Frank from Polygon.com
- Joshua Wittenkeller (TheJWittz)
- WWE's Xavier Woods / UpUpDownDown's Austin Creed
- Dan Ryckert from GiantBomb.com
It's Super Effective has featured various live shows since it debuted.
The first live show took place on BlogTalkRadio for episode 25 and lasted almost three hours. Users called in during the show to talk with Black and Aaron Spriggs. A chat was also active during the recording where fans could ask questions and participate.
Initially, subsequent live shows were also done on BlogTalkRadio. Later, live shows were instead done via Twitch or Mixlr.
Additionally, while not livestreamed, several episodes have been recorded live at conventions such as the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo.
The one hundredth episode of It's Super Effective debuted on New Year's Eve 2012. The episode was five hours long and featured ten interviews with almost all of the main cast members, each interview lasting anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes. Music and over twenty fans' voicemails were featured in between the interviews to tie the show together. A couple throwback segments from older shows were included. After episode 100 was published, the show took two weeks off.
- Episodes 1 - 100
- Artwork features Ken Sugimori's official art of Gengar and is derived from Red and Blue's box art.
- Episodes 101 and onwards
- The redesign of the podcast art was to tie into the redesign of the site. For legal reasons and to ever be featured in iTunes "Staff Picks", the change was also made to get away from using copyrighted imagery including the Pokémon logo and Ken Sugimori's artwork.
The original podcast art, featuring Gengar.
- Critical Hit
- A video podcast that is either consisting of various Pokémon-related things happening in Black Jr.'s life or a video version of the main audio podcast, depending on the episode. In the former's case, the podcast finishes off with a Pokémon-related YouTube video before the credits.
- Steve's uncensored side project. Leftovers was hosted by Black Jr. and his friend Chris. Leftovers dealt with a more adult side of the Pokémon fandom, but is currently on hiatus. Also called "It's Super Offensive."
It's Super Effective is currently the most popular Pokémon podcast on iTunes and Zune. "It's Super Effective" was pulled from iTunes after having to move their servers in July 2012. Once the server move was complete, "It's Super Effective" peaked at the #2 "Top Podcasts" in the "Video Game Podcasts" in the iTunes Store. On the Zune Marketplace, the podcast peaked at #55 on the service's "most subscribed podcasts" list and #48 on its "most subscribed audio podcasts" list. It became the leading Pokémon podcast after The Pallet Tribune's WTPT - Pokémon Radio ended production in 2010, the same year that ISE debuted. It won the third, fourth, and fifth annual Shorty Awards (2011 - 2013) in the community-created category of "The Best Podcast in Social Media" with 50, 145, and 67 votes, respectively. For the 2013 Shorty Awards, host Steve Black Jr. (under his Twitter handle @draggingalake) placed second in the category of #podcaster with 747 votes as of March 1, 2013. While Black did not receive a trophy at the Shorty Awards, he tweeted a picture of the #podcaster trophy about 2 weeks after the award ceremony that he received in the mail.
It's Super Effective sits with 620 user reviews in the iTunes Store putting it at a solid five stars.
"It's Super Effective" debuted at the end of the P.U.C.L. and WTPT - Pokémon Radio rivalry. ISE talked about both Pokémon Monday and WTPT on various episodes but never mentioned P.U.C.L directly. P.U.C.L. then called out Black on episode 90 during reading their fan mail. After that point, it was mentioned on ISE that Black stated it was "funny" that P.U.C.L. thought they "won" at being the #1 Pokémon podcast because ISE, in only a couple of months, passed both these establish shows in popularity and listeners. ISE not only broke into the top 100 most downloaded video game podcasts, in iTunes, when the other show did not, but ISE sits with over 10x as many Facebook fans and 5000+ Twitter fans. Since then not much has been said between theses shows. Bouncing Wailord, on the other hand, has never said anything bad about ISE or the staff of the show. In fact, most of the ISE cast has appeared on their episodes.
|2011||Shorty Award||Best Podcast in Social Media (3rd Annual)||@pokemonpodcast - 50 Votes||Won|
|2012||Shorty Award||Best Podcast in Social Media (4th Annual)||@pokemonpodcast - 145 Votes||Won|
|2013||Shorty Award||Best Podcast in Social Media (5th Annual)||@pokemonpodcast - 67 Votes||Won|
|2013||Shorty Award||Best Podcaster in Social Media (5th Annual)||@draggingalake - 747 Votes to finalize 2nd Place (No Winner)||Nominated|
|2013||Milwaukee A-List||Best Radio Personalities||@draggingalake - Top Five Finalist||3rd Place|
Current Recurring Personnel on Podcast
Staff members that are listed in italics are also current recurring hosts of It's Super Effective.
- Steve Black Jr.
- Creator/host of the It's Super Effective podcast and webmaster of PKMNcast.com
- William Anderson
- Logan Jenkins
- Micah the Brave
- As shown in "Marketplace → Podcast" section of Zune software on October 23, 2012. Software is required to view list.
- "The Best Podcast in Social Media". Shorty Awards.
- "The #Podcaster Shorty Award". Shorty Awards.
- Screencap of podcast's Stitcher page
|This article is a part of Project Fandom, a Bulbapedia Project that aims to write comprehensive articles on every aspect of the Pokémon Fandom.|